Galway V Mayo R4 Qualifier

Started by Maroon Manc, July 01, 2019, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

We're as far from winning big as Cork are from Liam McCarthy. Total new approach and at least half a new panel required I feel if we're to make any progress.

WhoDat

Galway are way behind what is required at this level. As I said, it's not down solely to management but players as well. Surgery required.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: WhoDat on July 15, 2019, 11:18:30 AM
Galway are way behind what is required at this level. As I said, it's not down solely to management but players as well. Surgery required.

A team that can look way behind one year can be transformed relatively quickly under the right management. We see examples of it every year.

That said it looks like Walsh is probably going to be staying so probably a moot point now. We can expect more of the same more than likely.

An Fhairche Abu

Hard to be optimistic at the minute for 2020 if it stays as is.
We are now also well into our longest All Ireland football final appearance drought since we first made it to one in 1919.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: mouview on July 15, 2019, 10:24:29 AM
We're as far from winning big as Cork are from Liam McCarthy. Total new approach and at least half a new panel required I feel if we're to make any progress.
There isn't half a new panel of the required standard in Galway right now so we will more or less see much of the current panel there again next year.  Change of approach badly needed though and I don't see that happening under KW if he's still there.  Hard to be optimistic. 😟

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 15, 2019, 11:41:45 AM
We are now also well into our longest All Ireland football final appearance drought since we first made it to one in 1919.

I wouldn't be too worried about losing all Irelands as a measure of quality
It never did Mayo any use

I read yesterday that this decade is the first since the 1890s in which Cork hurlers didn't win an all Ireland. That must hurt 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: seafoid on July 15, 2019, 01:49:37 PM

I'm not so sure about that, need to be getting there or thereabouts in my opinion regardless of the result, no one 21 or under in the county has any recollection of Galway in an All Ireland football final and the resultant hype and interest levels in the county that it brings with it. Mayo don't have a top tier hurling team to compete with for hearts and minds either.
On that bigger level, some of the stand out players for the minor hurlers yesterday were from Moycullen, Mountbellew and Ballygar, now while a good portion of hurling people in the county will be delighted with that spread out from the traditional heartlands, it's a development that should fill anyone from the football ends of the county with some trepidation for the future. This follows on from the ten dual minor players last year having to pick which code to play, with 9 opting for the small ball. Both sides made their respective finals and the footballers were the ones that lost.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 15, 2019, 02:35:03 PM

I'm not so sure about that, need to be getting there or thereabouts in my opinion regardless of the result, no one 21 or under in the county has any recollection of Galway in an All Ireland football final and the resultant hype and interest levels in the county that it brings with it. Mayo don't have a top tier hurling team to compete with for hearts and minds either.
On that bigger level, some of the stand out players for the minor hurlers yesterday were from Moycullen, Mountbellew and Ballygar

Two best players on the Galway minor hurling team that beat Kilkenny yesterday were from Mountbellew and Ballygar. Both were brilliant.

Not that uncommon at underage now. Kilcommins from Annaghdown was a brilliant minor last year and was on the Galway U-20 team this year. Although I hear he's also very good at the rugby may go down that route.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 15, 2019, 02:35:03 PM

On that bigger level, some of the stand out players for the minor hurlers yesterday were from Moycullen, Mountbellew and Ballygar, now while a good portion of hurling people in the county will be delighted with that spread out from the traditional heartlands, it's a development that should fill anyone from the football ends of the county with some trepidation for the future. This follows on from the ten dual minor players last year having to pick which code to play, with 9 opting for the small ball. Both sides made their respective finals and the footballers were the ones that lost.

Was last year not a case of getting there or thereabouts? reached the NFL final and All Ireland semi final if Dublin wasn't the opponents in both games Galway might have won both who knows?

Now this year was a big fall back on where Galway was in 2018 especially in the championship. Similar to Mayo's exit in last summer and the Mayo county board decided to remove Rochford from his position a debate ongoing if it was the right one.

An Fhairche Abu

Last year was progress certainly, this year I would have expected Galway to build on that but sadly it didn't pan out like that at all in the Championship.
I personally have no issue with the style of play employed by KW at all once it's effective, working and winning matches, I have seen enough "nice" ineffective football from the Galway county team to last me a lifetime. I would have been happy to see any incremental improvement this year (not necessarily an All Ireland final appearance either but in terms of how the team played) but the performances were bad all through the business end of the year, I mean even in London I was watching the match thinking "we're playing pure useless". If we had played well and just got caught out by another team playing out of their skins then that's easy to accept. Some of the criticism of KW has been way over the top but at the end of the day the results and performances don't lie.
If KW changes up a few things and has better luck with injuries then maybe he can turn it around next year again, I'm sure he thinks this himself and I hope he's right but history isn't on his side.

For all the mockery, the "68 years and counting" etc. our nearest and dearest across the border have contested 7 All Ireland finals (including the replay) in the period since the Galway Seniors last saw the Croke Park sod on All Ireland final day, they took some serious lumps in 04/06 but this decade they have inspired the next generation in Mayo, regardless of Sam Maguire not making it to Castlebar.
Seafoid's point about not getting there just to lose is valid but at what point do you look around and start thinking "Are we ever going to get back there?", because to be fully honest I always expected Galway to come back to the top end at some point, nationally our lot has been periods of drought punctuated by the odd great team, but this trough period is as bad as it's been at this stage and we are in a worse position today than we were in August 2018.

thebackbar1

I would go a lot further than that, a thorough review of Galway GAA is needed, with the outcome being a proper strategic plan aka The Blue wave.

Ask your clubs county board delegate to give you a run down on what has happened at county board level for the past twelve months up to and including the last meeting and you will see as a county we're a joke.

There has been a lot of talk about Kevin adopting the Corofin game plan, but very few people are saying all the clubs in Galway should be adopting the Corofin approach at underage, we're fixated with short term solutions.

In contrast Mayo aren't perfect, but they have appointed a commercial officer of late and made a considerable amount of money from their trip to NYC.

manfromdelmonte

Definite need to push football more in hurling areas
Hurling seems to be growing in west Galway and in more traditional football areas

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: thebackbar1 on July 15, 2019, 03:58:51 PM

I would go a lot further than that, a thorough review of Galway GAA is needed, with the outcome being a proper strategic plan aka The Blue wave.

Amen.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 15, 2019, 03:33:09 PM
Last year was progress certainly, this year I would have expected Galway to build on that but sadly it didn't pan out like that at all in the Championship.
I personally have no issue with the style of play employed by KW at all once it's effective, working and winning matches, I have seen enough "nice" ineffective football from the Galway county team to last me a lifetime. I would have been happy to see any incremental improvement this year (not necessarily an All Ireland final appearance either but in terms of how the team played) but the performances were bad all through the business end of the year, I mean even in London I was watching the match thinking "we're playing pure useless". If we had played well and just got caught out by another team playing out of their skins then that's easy to accept. Some of the criticism of KW has been way over the top but at the end of the day the results and performances don't lie.
If KW changes up a few things and has better luck with injuries then maybe he can turn it around next year again, I'm sure he thinks this himself and I hope he's right but history isn't on his side.

For all the mockery, the "68 years and counting" etc. our nearest and dearest across the border have contested 7 All Ireland finals (including the replay) in the period since the Galway Seniors last saw the Croke Park sod on All Ireland final day, they took some serious lumps in 04/06 but this decade they have inspired the next generation in Mayo, regardless of Sam Maguire not making it to Castlebar.
Seafoid's point about not getting there just to lose is valid but at what point do you look around and start thinking "Are we ever going to get back there?", because to be fully honest I always expected Galway to come back to the top end at some point, nationally our lot has been periods of drought punctuated by the odd great team, but this trough period is as bad as it's been at this stage and we are in a worse position today than we were in August 2018.

The intro to a year til Sunday shows the 3 lost finals of the 70s . Very like Mayo recently, in fact.  What good did they do anyone?

83 could have gone either way. Didn't lead to anything either.
98 didn't need a lost final.  They just turned up and executed the plan.
The hurlers have lost enough finals for the next millennium.
There have been 3 really great Galway teams:

1930s had 34 and 38
1960s had 3 in a row
late 90s had 98 and 01

Outliers were 1925 and 1956
9 football all Irelands is a great haul for a dual county , in fairness. Together with the hurling it comes comes to around 1 per decade.

An uncle of my father, from hurling country in Turloughmore, used to say that the men around Clonberne and beyond were different. If they got a team together they could beat anyone, even Kerry.  What is frustrating about now is the mediocrity after a good few years of incremental progress.

I wouldn't swap 2001 for all the Mayo finals since.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

SouthDublinBro

Rochford becoming Galway manager next year and straightening those players out after dumping Mayo out of the Super 8s with Donegal this year would be a bitter pill for Mayo to swallow.