Referendums March 8 on 1 family and 2 carers

Started by seafoid, February 12, 2024, 10:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: Eire90 on February 13, 2024, 04:26:37 PMThe rise of the far right in ireland is partly to blame on dissident republicans and inla types they seem to be too terrified to go after them
Every post is like putting pins in my eyes.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

whitey

Quote from: Eire90 on February 13, 2024, 04:26:37 PMThe rise of the far right in ireland is partly to blame on dissident republicans and inla types they seem to be too terrified to go after them

I think we had this discussion before

So someone who disagrees with you on immigration is "far right" and you're expressing disappointment that paramilitaries don't seriously assault or kill them

Do I have that right?

burdizzo

Quote from: whitey on February 13, 2024, 05:14:31 PM

I think we had this discussion before

So someone who disagrees with you on immigration is "far right" and you're expressing disappointment that paramilitaries don't seriously assault or kill them

Do I have that right?

I actually think he's just stirring the pot, and doesn't believe a lot of what he posts. Like tossing in a grenade and walking away, just to see what happens.

seafoid

Why did O'Gorman ignore the recommendations of the Citizens' Assembly and the Oireachtas Committee?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

The far right agenda is very similar to that in other countries so it is more than likely to be some sort of astroturfing. They are all anti immigrant, anti climate action, pro Russia, never fix anything, provactive, expert in fearmongering.

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on February 13, 2024, 07:00:15 PMThe far right agenda is very similar to that in other countries so it is more than likely to be some sort of astroturfing. They are all anti immigrant, anti climate action, pro Russia, never fix anything, provactive, expert in fearmongering.

So is a person objecting to a direct provision facility next to their house far right?

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on February 13, 2024, 07:11:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 13, 2024, 07:00:15 PMThe far right agenda is very similar to that in other countries so it is more than likely to be some sort of astroturfing. They are all anti immigrant, anti climate action, pro Russia, never fix anything, provactive, expert in fearmongering.

So is a person objecting to a direct provision facility next to their house far right?
Not necessarily. The Govt process to date has been poor. Local people deserve to be briefed on any changes locally . Othewise unsavoury elements may fill the vacuum

The Boy Wonder

And I actually thought seafoid had started this thread to have a debate about the referendums on March 8  ???
More fool me.

It's classic social media buffoonery - fellas like seafoid, Rossfan and Eire90 spouting their tuppence worth of codology .

Never beat the deeler

Thank you The Boy Wonder and Blowitupref for providing some information to this thread.
As someone living overseas, I used to use this board to find out information about what is going on at home, to be somwewhat infomed when talking to family and friends.
Unfortunately, the nonsense that used to be confined to a couple of posters or a couple of threads has spread to infest the majority of the entire board, so I am rarely on here anymore.
Lads creating bogeymen from social media that they can argue with on here, without anyone actually putting forward the viewpoints that are being vehemently shouted down.
Hasta la victoria siempre

imtommygunn

Is it *broadly* to modernise the definition of the family unit?

seafoid

There was a debate on Claire Byrne. 2 sides shouting at each other. It looks like another culture war.

The Boy Wonder

Senator Michael McDowell makes a cogent case for voting No in both referendums.

Yes vote on family referendum is a vote for an avoidable mess

"The Government has deliberately chosen not to allow the Oireachtas by law to decide on the meaning and extent of the term "other durable relationships" but to hand over to the courts the task of deciding what that term means".

This suggest it's a case of putting the cart before the horse.

Voting No is wisest option in upcoming blindman's buff referendums

Each one of us will make his/her own mind on how to vote. Whether or not one has the same political leanings as Senator Michael McDowell I believe he can be trusted to give non-biased and well-informed views on the referendums.

There may well be some equally non-biased and well-informed persons of proven reputation who would advocate voting Yes. Maybe some posters here might point us to such viewpoints.

armaghniac

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on February 14, 2024, 03:45:34 PMSenator Michael McDowell makes a cogent case for voting No in both referendums.

"The Government has deliberately chosen not to allow the Oireachtas by law to decide on the meaning and extent of the term "other durable relationships" but to hand over to the courts the task of deciding what that term means".

Each one of us will make his/her own mind on how to vote. Whether or not one has the same political leanings as Senator Michael McDowell I believe he can be trusted to give non-biased and well-informed views on the referendums.

There may well be some equally non-biased and well-informed persons of proven reputation who would advocate voting Yes. Maybe some posters here might point us to such viewpoints.

There was a previous concept in referendums, if you don't know vote know. So usually there was a clear proposal for what exactly was entailed, unlike Brexit. McDowell is making the point that there is no legal certainty about what this means or so no way of knowing the consequences of it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

The worst thing is that most people have no idea about either referendum

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on February 14, 2024, 04:27:58 PM
Quote from: The Boy Wonder on February 14, 2024, 03:45:34 PMSenator Michael McDowell makes a cogent case for voting No in both referendums.

There was a previous concept in referendums, if you don't know vote know. So usually there was a clear proposal for what exactly was entailed, unlike Brexit. McDowell is making the point that there is no legal certainty about what this means or so no way of knowing the consequences of it.
McDowell is talking through his hole. As was pointed out in that RTE debate, the constitution does not provide legal clarity, it spells out the fundamental principles. It is the laws that are created which define the legal clarity to what the constitution refers to.
Nordic country constitutions have the fundamental principles but it's the family and cohabiting laws which have the very clear definitions on all related issues such as civil partnerships,joint taxation, divorce, property, children welfare, child support, carers, disputes.