Best score ever?

Started by befair, November 14, 2023, 12:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifer

I'm surprised we've got this far without acknowledging that Beggan was actually launching it into the square!

I saw Eoin Donnelly do similar a couple of times for Fermanagh, and I was never quite sure if he was shooting or not either.  Personally for me, it either needs to contain individual flair/skill or be a fantastic team score.  A one off shot whilst often superb, is pretty common.  I can think of similar scores from my own club men over the years.  But when I look at some of the scores from Canavan, Clifford or Matt Connor, you don't see that replicated  much at all because of the level of skill, balance, poise, composure etc.  I'm sure there are others too.

*Please don't post that James McCartan point v Derry where he runs 40 steps like a little terrier, it's an amazing feat of tenacity but doesn't belong here!

RedHand88

Maurice Fitzgerald anyone?

I know you tend to remember your own county's more so I'd also mention Dooher v Kerry 2008 and O'Neill v Dublin in the league 2009(?).

toby47

I always liked the first score by McManus in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkVj9rErWYA

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on November 14, 2023, 09:56:42 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 14, 2023, 08:57:46 AMRian O'Neills frees a couple of years ago

I'm actually embarrassed for you. Take a day off.

Were both class. Did I say they were the best ever.

smort

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 14, 2023, 10:58:45 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 14, 2023, 08:57:46 AMRian O'Neills frees a couple of years ago

It's the 'best score ever' thread so I think we can rightly infer you think they are the up there with the best scores ever

Wouldn't even have them as Armaghs best ever scores

tbrick18

The Maurice Fitz sideline was just awesome.

The Johnny McGurk point in the 93 semi against the dubs to but Derry into an AIF also sticks out in the memory.

That point by Eamon Burns against Down in 91 was class, he was on fire that day.

Enda Gormley point in the AIF 93 after Niall Cahalane hit him a slap. Gormley went straight to Cahalane after scoring to let him know that it was for him. To be honest, Cahalane did Derry a favour that day as Gormley was class after the slap.

Ciaran McDonald....any number of long range, off the outside of the boot scores.

Impossible to pick the best score ever as all have different context for different people, but those are a few I remember.

imtommygunn

Forgot about the Eamon Burns one - it was a belter.

J70

Michael Murphy against Galway (2015?)

The jump, the catch and shot

Don't have a video right now, but Martin McHugh's last point in the '92 Ulster Final... Three Derry men hanging out of him and he works the space out on the left wing to hit the decisive score from a narrow angle.

JimStynes

It was a brilliant score!

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Lucifer on November 14, 2023, 10:02:09 AMI'm surprised we've got this far without acknowledging that Beggan was actually launching it into the square!

I saw Eoin Donnelly do similar a couple of times for Fermanagh, and I was never quite sure if he was shooting or not either.  Personally for me, it either needs to contain individual flair/skill or be a fantastic team score.  A one off shot whilst often superb, is pretty common.  I can think of similar scores from my own club men over the years.  But when I look at some of the scores from Canavan, Clifford or Matt Connor, you don't see that replicated  much at all because of the level of skill, balance, poise, composure etc.  I'm sure there are others too.

*Please don't post that James McCartan point v Derry where he runs 40 steps like a little terrier, it's an amazing feat of tenacity but doesn't belong here!

Exactly! He puts the fist up in the air to signal what he is planning. Don't think it can be the best score ever if it wasn't even meant to be a score
Hasta la victoria siempre

smort

trailer

Quote from: smort on November 14, 2023, 11:08:02 AM

It's the 'best score ever' thread so I think we can rightly infer you think they are the up there with the best scores ever

Watched a few U12s tap over a few frees this year. Unreal. Best ever.

JimStynes

Quote from: smort on November 14, 2023, 01:36:21 PMMugsys goal

*close thread*

Am I the only one who has always thought this was a slighty overrated goal!

Armagh18

Quote from: JimStynes on November 14, 2023, 01:47:28 PM
Quote from: smort on November 14, 2023, 01:36:21 PMMugsys goal

*close thread*

Am I the only one who has always thought this was a slighty overrated goal!
Not too many better that I can think of as much as I hate to say it.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on November 14, 2023, 01:38:05 PM
Quote from: smort on November 14, 2023, 11:08:02 AM

Watched a few U12s tap over a few frees this year. Unreal. Best ever.
So Rian and Sean O'Sheas frees vs Galway and Dublin are the equivalent of u12's scoring tap overs. Lol

Surely Michael Murphy has a few for this list, him being the best player ever and all ;)