2019 Allianz National Hurling League

Started by Mossy Bruce, December 19, 2018, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Bruce

Midlands Sport: Eddie Brennan Post Dublin [Interview]
https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/eddie-brennan-post-dublin-1

I'm starting to like this guy. I am beginning to hear a little passion for Laois hurling in his voice.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

Fantastic gutsy display by Laois in very tough conditions. Plenty of water on the pitch and players were sliding all over the place. I honestly felt the conditions would give us a chance and fair play to the lads they got stuck in from the word go.
The ref was inconsistent and some of the decisions were very frustrating. I also think that the ref had forgotten he had already given a yellow to Cha when he dished out the second one as it was only when he was putting the name in the book that he called Cha back.

Two incidents near the end decided the result in what was a very close game. Aaron Dunphy went on a great run with Paddy Purcell supporting him. He should have passed it inside earlier but continued his run and passed to Paddy when he probably should have taken on the shot himself. The Dubs cleared the ball up field and got a point. The short puckout afterwards was fumbled and Dublin scored a point again to go from 1 down to 1 up. In what was a very tight game those two incidents at the end made a big difference.

In saying that we had a couple of great goal chances earlier in the game. I thought the defence was excellent throughout and handled the Dublin attack. Physically we got the better of Dublin and it was another one of those Laois performances where it was left behind.

Onwards to the Limerick game and hopefully we have a performance similar to Clare or Galway under Cheddar.

On a side note, fair play to the lads in the ticket van outside. I went to buy a ticket and they gave me a ticket that someone else handed in. They joked that anyone who travelled up for the game in that weather deserved a ticket! It's not often I praise the dubs but fair play to the lads for that. That was as generous as it got on the day!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Thank you redsetanta for braving the conditions and for the report.

Any chance of a run through the players and how they got on?

burdizzo

I see Matt Whelan was the only Laois player to make the GAA hurling team of the week, so he can't have done too bad!

redsetanta

blueandwhite1 I haven't had the chance to try and do a long post on each player. Suffice to say that the defense as a unit were very good. Both corners, Matthew at full and the half back line were excellent. Mullaney bar one major error came out with some amount of ball and he doesn't get pushed off it. He was also well able to catch the sliotar despite the conditions. I thought Delaney had a great game too.
Cha still looks a bit off the pace but he threw himself around and plays on the edge as we all know Cha does. Downey was good. Willie Dunphy was playing very well in a much deeper role and he was missed when he went off injured. Foyle did well but he got badly held and dragged and got very little from the ref.
I would say that the substitutions probably swung it for Dublin but all in all a brilliant Laois display.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Trying to buy a ticket online for the game Saturday evening but can't see that game anywhere. Anyone know what the crack is?

merman

Quote from: redsetanta on March 06, 2019, 12:27:32 PM
blueandwhite1 I haven't had the chance to try and do a long post on each player. Suffice to say that the defense as a unit were very good. Both corners, Matthew at full and the half back line were excellent. Mullaney bar one major error came out with some amount of ball and he doesn't get pushed off it. He was also well able to catch the sliotar despite the conditions. I thought Delaney had a great game too.
Cha still looks a bit off the pace but he threw himself around and plays on the edge as we all know Cha does. Downey was good. Willie Dunphy was playing very well in a much deeper role and he was missed when he went off injured. Foyle did well but he got badly held and dragged and got very little from the ref.
I would say that the substitutions probably swung it for Dublin but all in all a brilliant Laois display.

I thought Podge Delaney was exceptional. A real 'coming-of-age' match for a seriously talented hurler. Great to see Lee Cleere out on the wing too.
Defence, in general, was excellent. I'd still have some concerns about Mullaney at 6 but he's the best fit at the minute.

Up front, we lack a little punch. Foyle looks to be playing within himself and I'd love to see him being more physical. Aaron Dunphy is looking very lively but same can't be said for Picky who just seems to be lacking any kind of confidence.

Hopefully a few injuries will clear up over the next few weeks.

redsetanta

There seems to be a problem finding the best position for Picky. I thought he played well against Offaly but was quiet enough against Dublin.

Nameless

The game will be on TG4 just for anyone who can't make it. Don't know if Mossy can get TG4 in the states.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Nameless on March 06, 2019, 05:10:44 PM
The game will be on TG4 just for anyone who can't make it. Don't know if Mossy can get TG4 in the states.
I'm able to watch TG4's GAA highlights (for which I am thankful for) but live games aren't viewable in the US. I am looking into getting a VPN that will make it look like I am in Ireland which, hopefully, will make it so I can watch live matches.   :)
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Don Draper

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on March 06, 2019, 05:54:32 PM
I'm able to watch TG4's GAA highlights (for which I am thankful for) but live games aren't viewable in the US. I am looking into getting a VPN that will make it look like I am in Ireland which, hopefully, will make it so I can watch live matches.   :)
Is GAAGO not an option for TG4 games?

Mossy Bruce

From LaoisToday:

"Injury update and ticket prices as Laois hurlers prepare to host All-Ireland champions

...Willie Dunphy came off with a suspected hamstring injury which had plagued the Clough-Ballacolla in the past.

As previously documented, Eanna Lyons out with an AC joint injury for six weeks since receiving a heavy hit on his shoulder in the Carlow clash.

John Lennon is in a race against time to be fit after an injury to his pectoral muscle saw him come off during the Carlow game and not appearing in the lineup for the meeting with Dublin.

Jack Kelly was also substituted with a dead leg during the Carlow game, and depending on the grade of the injury, will be looking to retain his place on the half-back line this weekend.

Lorcan Burke picked up a minor injury last week before the Dublin game, as did fellow Camross man Mark Dowling..."

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/03/06/injury-updates-as-laois-hurlers-face-clash-with-all-ireland-champions-limerick/
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Don Draper on March 06, 2019, 08:11:23 PM

I don't know of them. I will look into it. Thanks, Don!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on March 06, 2019, 08:13:17 PM

Just checked my Gaago subscription and the Laois v Limerick game will be shown live at 19:00 Irish time for all subscribers outside of ireland.
A yearly subscription costs E140, or you can pay for one off games. This game is E10, I believe the prices go up in latter stages of championship
Hasta la victoria siempre

Don Draper

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 06, 2019, 11:04:23 PM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on March 06, 2019, 08:13:17 PM

Just checked my Gaago subscription and the Laois v Limerick game will be shown live at 19:00 Irish time for all subscribers outside of ireland.
A yearly subscription costs E140, or you can pay for one off games. This game is E10, I believe the prices go up in latter stages of championship

There you go Mossy, enjoy.