NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

We have it a good rattle for about 40 minutes today buy began to run out of steam after that plus Dublin kept us contained in our own half when we had the ball.
If only we had delivered a performance last week.......
Still we got the margin down from 14 last August to 5 today so we must be making a biteen of progress anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

criostlinn

Quote from: whitey on March 03, 2019, 09:05:50 PM
Quote from: mouview on March 03, 2019, 08:14:06 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 03, 2019, 04:46:17 PM
Last night AOS fairly dispossessed the Galway keeper as he tried to solo up the field

The ball hit the referee on the heel and was immediately retrieved by Mayo

The ref then gave a hop ball.

Was that the right decision?

I actually thought the ball ran loose and was about to be picked up by a Galway player.

Hmm....I was fuming because Mayo were in possession and the keeper was 30 yards from his own  goal

I'll see if I can watch it back

I could be wrong but I thought he gave a free to Galway and changed to a hop ball after the keeper deciding he wanted a bit of afters. But like most decisions Maurice Deegan makes its anyone guess what happened

macdanger2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 02, 2019, 09:26:38 PM
Forwards particularly frustrating. Darren Coen was terrible

While Coen's execution was poor (1 from 3 I think?), I thought shooting from distance like he did was exactly the right option and if we had done more of it, I think we'd have won. DOC, keegan, Boyle, Higgins and Barrett all passed up opportunities to kick from the 45. With the wind that was in it, we should have been taking them on. Even if they didn't all go over, it would have pulled the Galway backs out 5-10m and left a little more space inside.

giveballaghback

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on March 03, 2019, 09:14:55 PM
I'm not one to stick up for Monaghan or the Ulster teams, but I've heard from a few people that the ref rode them today. Possible vested interest in Monaghan losing from a Rosie trf/quote]
What a stupid accusation to make  :'(

weareros

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on March 03, 2019, 09:14:55 PM
I'm not one to stick up for Monaghan or the Ulster teams, but I've heard from a few people that the ref rode them today. Possible vested interest in Monaghan losing from a Rossie ref?

Well the Kerry ref in HYde gave ye everything; they must want to bate ye in the final!

Hound

Quote from: MayoBuck on March 03, 2019, 01:33:26 AM
Conceding a goal like that with 2 extra players is scandalous. Dunno why Michael Plunkett was dropped for the last 2 games, he'd been settling in well. Keegan and Boyle are way off their best. Conor Diskin looked promising in the opening 2 games but he's dropped off the scene completely.

Horan is rotating the team a lot but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

I think Boyle looks fitter than he did last year, but the two of them seem more interested these days in the big hits, rather than the driving runs.

Ruane seems a great find for Mayo. Although would be far better playing O'Connor alongside him.

Blowitupref

Kerry

With a 100% record from their opening 5 games, Kerry are odds on to contest the March 31st final. A point from either of their last two games against Mayo (H) and Roscommon (A) guarantees their spot, as would any two of Mayo, Dublin and Galway dropping points. However, should the Kingdom lose both games they could still miss out on points difference.

Dublin

Given their superior points difference, wins in both their remaining games against Tyrone and Cavan should see the Dubs reach another league final on Jim Gavin's watch. Defeat or a draw in either game will mean the current holders will be relying on results elsewhere.

Mayo

It's Mayo's game against Kerry that has the potential to throw the cat amongst the pigeons. Should Mayo win and follow that up with a win over Monaghan, they'd find themselves on ten points. Although the first tie-breaker for teams level on points should be the head to head result, the possibility of Dublin, Galway, Mayo and possibly even Kerry ending up level on points means that points difference would be used to split the teams. Two big wins would be needed to bridge that current gap.

Galway

Galway are the fourth outfit with the potential to reach ten points by beating Roscommon and Tyrone. But with a negative points difference of -7, it'd be a huge ask for the Tribesmen to make the difference up. However, a loss for Dublin in either game could open the door.   

Tyrone

Mickey Harte's men are already relying on other results to go their way to have any chance of a top two finish. Wins over Dublin and Galway would bring them to nine points while also meaning that both of their rivals would max out on eight. In that case, a loss for Mayo in either game could see Tyrone sneak in.

Roscommon

With only three points so far, Roscommon's focus is on avoiding the drop. Despite the potential to reach seven points with two wins, the other fixtures mean that at least one of Dublin, Tyrone or Galway will finish above them. One win to take them to five points should see them safe.

Cavan

The Brefni county have endured a torrid campaign to date with a big win over Roscommon their only points on the board.  A relegation four-pointer against Monaghan next week is a must win ahead of a visit from the All-Ireland champions to finish.

Monaghan

It's been a very disappointing campaign for Monaghan so far and one they surely didn't see coming. A win against Cavan could set them up for a get out of jail clash with a Mayo side who may have nothing to play for after their visit to Kerry. But a Mayo win over Kerry has the potential to make things very difficult for the Farney boys.

Remaining fixtures

16/03/19

Dublin v Tyrone

Galway v Roscommon

Kerry v Mayo

Monaghan v Cavan

24/03/19

Cavan v Dublin

Mayo v Monaghan

Roscommon v Kerry

Tyrone v Galway

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/allianz-national-football-league-permutations-its-two-from-five-with-kerry-and-dublin-favourites-to-make-final-37873770.html
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Main Street

The pitch in Killarney was in a shocking state after the hurlers played a game before the main event. Despite that act of madness and the weather, the game was decent quality. Kerry look very fit and managed to get enough momentum to finish the game strongly, albeit with a helping hand from the ref who manfully carried some of the load for Kerry.

Monaghan lost most every throw up ball situation, midfield and and kick outs. Despit that the Monaghan team put in an  astonishing amount of effort to compensate for those deficits and Drew Wiley's dwarfish stature  vis a vis  iron man Tommy Walsh. To be 2 and 3 points up around the 55th min before wilting was impressive and rallying to be only a point down nearing the end of normal time.
Unfortunately it does not look like last year's emerging midfield talent  Niall Kearns will make an appearance this year
https://www.the42.ie/niall-kearns-monaghan-heart-surgery-2-4519902-Mar2019/

Maroon Manc

I was over for the match and at the time thought Deegan was shocking, rewatched the game and wasn't bad at all. I know the Mayo fans seemed to think he gave them nothing during the first half but thats not the case at all, don't see the big issue with the so called time wasting, Lavelle took a very similar amount of time with his kickouts as Clarke did and over 6 minutes were added on to make up for the length of time Shane Walsh was down.

Shane Walsh must have been listening to Michael Meehan during the week, he wanted him to be more like Ciaran Kilkenny in his role which I thought he did; Don't think Keegan managed to get out in front of Walsh once on Saturday. Flynn was a loss for the 2nd half, Mayo had a lot of success during a 20 minute period in the 2nd half.

Galway played very well during the 1st half, were more direct and took advantage of the conditions more than they've done in the last few years, Lavelle gets a lot of stick but it was him who sent the ball over 50 yards out of the hands in the lead up to the goal. Cummins was very good, kicked a good score with his right foot and kicked a mark with his left too; Cummins & O'Laoi didn't hit any wides or drop anything short either. O'Laoi had a very good game and has really impressed me the last month, he's still very slight too so might be another 12 months before we really see the best of him but Galway have found another forward. Wyne still a bit of a liability at the back but probably had one of his better games and Kerin gave away 2 stupid free's and I mean both were idiotic, lucky not to get punished for the 2nd one as McDonagh dropped his free short. The Daly's did ok, think we'll see more from them as long as they can stay fit. Duggan was average, gives the ball away too much and lacks awareness of where an opponent is; Doesn't exactly add a lot to Galway going forward either. Cooke deserves a chance a start in the middle against Roscommon.

I'd have been delighted at the beginning of the league if you'd have told me Galway would have 6 points after 5 games with all the player we've missing and that John Daly, Cummins & O'Laoi had all showed great promise. The Galway of old would have lost that game when Mayo got back to a point down but they dug in and drove on and won a few frees to see out the game, would have been another goal if Heaney's ball to Michael Daly was better. Galway have that bit more guile and craft in the forward line which was the main difference between the sides for me.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 04, 2019, 03:36:27 PM
Galway played very well during the 1st half, were more direct and took advantage of the conditions more than they've done in the last few years, Lavelle gets a lot of stick but it was him who sent the ball over 50 yards out of the hands in the lead up to the goal. Cummins was very good, kicked a good score with his right foot and kicked a mark with his left too; Cummins & O'Laoi didn't hit any wides or drop anything short either. O'Laoi had a very good game and has really impressed me the last month, he's still very slight too so might be another 12 months before we really see the best of him but Galway have found another forward. Wyne still a bit of a liability at the back but probably had one of his better games and Kerin gave away 2 stupid free's and I mean both were idiotic, lucky not to get punished for the 2nd one as McDonagh dropped his free short. The Daly's did ok, think we'll see more from them as long as they can stay fit. Duggan was average, gives the ball away too much and lacks awareness of where an opponent is; Doesn't exactly add a lot to Galway going forward either. Cooke deserves a chance a start in the middle against Roscommon.

Was very impressed with O'Laoi on Saturday. I remember seeing play underage for Galway and to be honest while he was decent he didn't particularly stand out. I think he might have only been a sub by the time he graduated onto the U-21's after starting for the minors. Kicked 2 great points, fantastic eye of the needle pass for the goal. Was out around midfield a lot but kicked some great ball into the forwards. Quieter in the 2nd half when Galway had to defend a lot but even then he took on Higgins on the outside at one stage and forced Higgins to bring him down to win a free and even caught a Mayo kick out in midfield. Probably the only black mark against him is he ran himself into trouble a couple of times and turned over the ball. He doesn't have the size or power to burst through tacklers but you can tell he's a clever footballer. Scored a great point against Kerry last week too but he was more involved against Mayo.

Manning18

I was right in line with O'Laoi's pass and it was a beauty. Very inventive and superb vision. The winning of the game. His cameo at the end of the first half, ball over to Walsh, run for return, shimmy the defender and kick a score is a sign of a very classy player. Certainly needs to bulk up, so probably a year too soon alright but he has impressed no question.

Manning18

Quote from: Dubhaltach on March 03, 2019, 07:18:06 PM

Galway's game management going down the home stretch was superb. Time keeping in gaelic football is a total farce at this stage but Galway exploited it to the max. There was 6 minutes of injury time and 3 of those were stoppages, yet Deegan blew up as soon as the 6 were up...jokeshop. Compare Galway's time wasting in the second half, when they were against the wind, with Mayo. Not one Mayo player tried to slow the game down in the first half when we were against the wind. Mayo need to wise up.

How did he blow up when 6 were up, when Vaughan's last point was scored into the 7th min of added time, and there was two more kickouts after that? 6 mins added was more than fair in the first place. Galway didnt get that in the first half despite injuries. It's accepted practice to take the wind first and try build a lead but a past club manager of ours used to always take it for the second half, on the basis that you'd get far more added at the end of 60 (or 70) than at the end of H1. Hard argue against it

J70

Quote from: Main Street on March 04, 2019, 03:32:10 PM
The pitch in Killarney was in a shocking state after the hurlers played a game before the main event. Despite that act of madness and the weather, the game was decent quality. Kerry look very fit and managed to get enough momentum to finish the game strongly, albeit with a helping hand from the ref who manfully carried some of the load for Kerry.

Monaghan lost most every throw up ball situation, midfield and and kick outs. Despit that the Monaghan team put in an  astonishing amount of effort to compensate for those deficits and Drew Wiley's dwarfish stature  vis a vis  iron man Tommy Walsh. To be 2 and 3 points up around the 55th min before wilting was impressive and rallying to be only a point down nearing the end of normal time.
Unfortunately it does not look like last year's emerging midfield talent  Niall Kearns will make an appearance this year
https://www.the42.ie/niall-kearns-monaghan-heart-surgery-2-4519902-Mar2019/

Wasn't aware of Kearn's story. Good luck to him. That's a lot to be hoisted on to such a young man, but he seems to have a great attitude.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy