Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: J OGorman on May 21, 2014, 12:58:18 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on May 21, 2014, 12:37:30 PM
Some people on here take themselves way too seriously.

Is there a term for a group of male feminists?

Errr feminists I think.

Gabriel_Hurl

Sidney

BBC use more female presenters to present actual sports coverage than Sky. Clare Balding, Hazel Irvine, Gabby Logan and Jill Douglas all regularly anchor live or highlights coverage of various sports.

BennyHarp

Quote from: thejuice on May 21, 2014, 12:40:24 PM
Lads, I can't be certain but I don't think Rachel reads this forum.

I don't think she'll have noticed your gallant efforts at saving her honour.

Most comments are about Joe not Rachel. I found his comments on Sean Cavanagh and Paul Grimley equally inappropriate and unnecessary and believe me I have no gallant wish to save their honour.

Edit* I notice Joe is now suggesting that his comments were supposed to highlight the sexism at Sky Sports, another crusade for the bould Joe - he is such a feminist!
That was never a square ball!!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 12:25:40 PM
He's an attention seeking pain in the arse as a GAA pundit, and if he truly doesn't care about his analyst gig, then he's an even bigger tool about it that I thought, because that means he's just being controversial to wind people up, not to increase his profile. I don't believe it though. I think he loves the media profile.

That's one way to look at it. Another is that he's being true to himself and not being all happy clappy for the cameras.

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 12:28:21 PM
Why do you think EVERY RTE GAA pundit has come out against the Sky deal in their various media outlets? Do all of them share the opinion that it's doing down the people who want to see the games live, even if RTE maintain their quota of games? I didn't realise they loved TV3 that much, even though a fair proportion of Ulster can't get TV3. My arse. It's because they are worried Sky will change the landscape, and they'll be put out to grass.

I haven't read what O'Rourke and Spillane have had to say on the matter, mainly because their columns don't interest me. I'm no doubt some are fighting RTE's battle to preserve their status but I firmly believe that's not Brolly's motivation.

On a different matter Parkinson fairly won that argument, there's a first for everything.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

J70

I have to say Rebecca Lowe does a nice job on NBC Sports coverage of the Premier League. Her cuteness is just a nice little added bonus early on a weekend morning! :)

Eamonnca1

Kinda missing the point, wouldn't you say?

The point, BTW, is that Brolly is a tosspot.

J OGorman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 21, 2014, 02:30:09 PM

A weasel tosspot surely?

muppet

Has Joe's argument really now become that he is pointing out sexism at Sky by labelling its Gaa presenter as a baywatch babe?

As an aside, one of the scariest experiences of my life was attending the Camogie Inter-Varsities ball/dance/drinkathon as a young lad. Holy Jebus! It was like landing in a country where there had been no men, or drink, for decades.

I think they should invite Joe as a guest to the next one of these.

MWWSI 2017

Brick Tamlin

**Resurrect the mucksavage thread**

Sidney

I haven't heard that phrase used since "War of the Buttons".

seafoid

Why do you think EVERY RTE GAA pundit has come out against the Sky deal in their various media outlets? Do all of them share the opinion that it's doing down the people who want to see the games live, even if RTE maintain their quota of games? I didn't realise they loved TV3 that much, even though a fair proportion of Ulster can't get TV3. My arse. It's because they are worried Sky will change the landscape, and they'll be put out to grass.
Sure isn't it all a pantomime anyway? I wonder how confident Sky are of getting this thing to work.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thejuice

No, you missed my attempt at humour.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Main Street

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 01:36:10 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 12:25:40 PM
He's an attention seeking pain in the arse as a GAA pundit, and if he truly doesn't care about his analyst gig, then he's an even bigger tool about it that I thought, because that means he's just being controversial to wind people up, not to increase his profile. I don't believe it though. I think he loves the media profile.

That's one way to look at it. Another is that he's being true to himself and not being all happy clappy for the cameras.

I haven't read what O'Rourke and Spillane have had to say on the matter, mainly because their columns don't interest me. I'm no doubt some are fighting RTE's battle to preserve their status but I firmly believe that's not Brolly's motivation.

On a different matter Parkinson fairly won that argument, there's a first for everything.
I doubt  that Joe has any agenda to maintain his punditry profile, he already has a profile and a full (almost respectable :)) life outside rte and he doesn't need it. He acts the ass because most probably that's what he does on occasion. He lacks some of the social graces, not because he has some agenda to maintain his profile but probably because his social graces get swamped by his lower standards, on occasion.

Joe got deflected here by Rachel's beauty, didn't realise that she was a professional and he has apologised for his blunder. He got deflected from the argument against Sky.
The argument against Sky is not that they will do a bad job or a superficial job,  but because a FTA package now a package for subscribers only and TV3 (afaia) did not do anything to lose that package. if some Nordies couldn't get access to TV3 then some other solution could have been found instead of suspending a FTA package in favour of a restricted subsription service for everybody.
I would have expected better from Joe as he has been trained to make rational arguments and that's his main job.

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on May 21, 2014, 04:08:32 PM
I would have expected better from Joe as he has been trained to make rational arguments and that's his main job.

Three hours every Sunday, every Summer scrunched up beside Pat Spillane in a glass dogbox makes short work of all training in making rational arguments.