Another PR disaster

Started by sligoman2, April 23, 2019, 11:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kickham csc

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 25, 2019, 05:21:27 PM
so it wasn't played on a pitch owned by the GAA?

are community, non GAA events banned from GAA grounds?
eg community field days?

So in summary
Club didn't organize the tournament, the charity did
It has been determined that the club broke GAA rules around running an unauthorized tournament
Club has not been suspended yet, but has been given a right to appeal to CCC findings
The club doesn't own the field, it leases it but the field is under the governance of the GAA
We are still not clear if the tournament was played on the GAA field or a soccer field

A lot of questions remain unanswered, and the sticking point goes back to liability.
Did the charity can liability coverage? If it did, this is a non issue, and I expect it to be treated as such.
If it didn't, then the GAA can be rightly annoyed at being exposed to injury liability on a tournament that wasn't sanctioned

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: haranguerer on April 25, 2019, 04:55:05 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 25, 2019, 10:58:14 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on April 25, 2019, 08:51:28 AM
A lot of people round the country raised a lot of money to pay for the facilities we see in gaa clubs up and down the country. Other sports are free to do the same for their own grounds - all would benefit from grant/lottery matching. Why should gaa members have to put up with other sports using the facilities they put the work into? The charity argument is the red herring.

Yet the GAA are happy to use other sports facilities when it suits them... Anti Finnegsns gsme for example.

The charity argument  is fundamental. Whats more importsnt. Being a cornerstone of the community and raising funfs fir a GAA man or giving soccer a slap they didnt even notice?

I don't agree (obviously). Charity is often used as a reason not to have to abide by usual standards, in this case and many others. Its nothing to do with giving soccer a slap. Were this not for charity, would anyone have an issue? Yet, from a practical point of view (the only way rules can be set and enforced), what difference what its for?

Also, still not getting why a GAA man would want a soccer tournament. And I didn't see any relevant points in his interview.
It was organised by a group of lads he used to play soccer with before he got sick
Careful now

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Kickham csc on April 25, 2019, 06:04:00 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 25, 2019, 05:21:27 PM
so it wasn't played on a pitch owned by the GAA?

are community, non GAA events banned from GAA grounds?
eg community field days?

So in summary
Club didn't organize the tournament, the charity did
It has been determined that the club broke GAA rules around running an unauthorized tournament
Club has not been suspended yet, but has been given a right to appeal to CCC findings
The club doesn't own the field, it leases it but the field is under the governance of the GAA
We are still not clear if the tournament was played on the GAA field or a soccer field

A lot of questions remain unanswered, and the sticking point goes back to liability.
Did the charity can liability coverage? If it did, this is a non issue, and I expect it to be treated as such.
If it didn't, then the GAA can be rightly annoyed at being exposed to injury liability on a tournament that wasn't sanctioned
A leased field is not the property of the association

dublin7

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 25, 2019, 06:27:18 PM
A lot of people round the country raised a lot of money to pay for the facilities we see in gaa clubs up and down the country. Other sports are free to do the same for their own grounds - all would benefit from grant/lottery matching. Why should gaa members have to put up with other sports using the facilities they put the work into? The charity argument is the red herring.

Yet the GAA are happy to use other sports facilities when it suits them... Anti Finnegsns gsme for example.

The charity argument  is fundamental. Whats more importsnt. Being a cornerstone of the community and raising funfs fir a GAA man or giving soccer a slap they didnt even notice?

I don't agree (obviously). Charity is often used as a reason not to have to abide by usual standards, in this case and many others. Its nothing to do with giving soccer a slap. Were this not for charity, would anyone have an issue? Yet, from a practical point of view (the only way rules can be set and enforced), what difference what its for?

Also, still not getting why a GAA man would want a soccer tournament. And I didn't see any relevant points in his interview.
It was organised by a group of lads he used to play soccer with before he got sick
That's a sensible post amongst some complete nonsense and alomst bigotry posted here. Just accept haters gonna hate and some people clearly think it's 1920 and not 2019 with their anti soccer views/anger.

The gentleman in question used to be invlolved in the GAA club and coached underage teams for them so he's clearly got a history with the club.

A tournament was organised and played there as it was the biggest venue and it would raise the most funds for his treament and family. To me that's the only issue that's important in all this. The last thing he and his family need is all the stress and hassle from the media coverage this has generated and it can't be good for his or their health.

I don't blame the county board for this. If a complaint is made they have to investigate it. To actually make a complaint about the event though you have to so small and petty you could parachute out of a snake's arse. It's also interesting that whoever made the complaint hasn't had the guts to go public while the innocent family have to deal with the fall out from his/her actions.

trailer

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 25, 2019, 06:27:18 PM

Grand. Should've just played GAA then. Oh well, all's well that ends well.

dec

Quote from: Maiden1 on April 25, 2019, 05:03:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2019, 04:52:12 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 25, 2019, 04:46:09 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on April 25, 2019, 03:56:57 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0425/1045595-whoever-reported-it-id-like-them-to-see-how-i-live/

This might provide some answers..

The GAA club lease it from the Parish it seems, so I'd say the GAA don't own it per say and to rule on an unofficial tournament was a bit nonsensical.

""I know a lot of people are saying soccer was played, there was a mixture of two sports played that day"

Whoever took it upon themselves to complain about that really needs to have a good hard look at themselves.

I'm sure Croke Park will assist Donegal CCC on how to reverse out of this one.

I know I'm a cynical sort. But I'd expect everyone from the town has been well briefed on how to describe the event to the press; so as to mitigate the severity of their rule-breaking. I'm half expecting one local to claim it was actually a hybrid sport in celebration of the styles used in the very first GAA match.

——

Can GAA HQ really brush this one off?

I think not.

Charity or not. It's a rule broken and would leave them no leg to stand on in future.
They played soccer on a soccer pitch which just happened to be on the same grounds as the gaelic pitch and used the facilities to make sandwiches etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.9996961,-7.5167662,3a,75y,296.81h,86.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKHxBzWqL7w8Az506OnYB9Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I hate the rules are rules mentality.

The resolution on the picture isn't great but it looks like soccer goals on the field nearest the camera, the one surrounded by the running track. Though the picture could be out of date.

macdanger2

Quote from: dublin7 on April 25, 2019, 07:47:50 PM
A tournament was organised and played there as it was the biggest venue and it would raise the most funds for his treament and family. To me that's the only issue that's important in all this. The last thing he and his family need is all the stress and hassle from the media coverage this has generated and it can't be good for his or their health.

On this point, would it not have made sense to bring it to the nearest county ground after it had been refused permission twice? Most counties have at least two designated county grounds.

It seems like the organisers and local county board could have come to some agreement if this was handled correctly. I suspect there's more to it than is being reported.

dublin7

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 25, 2019, 08:12:40 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on April 25, 2019, 07:47:50 PM

On this point, would it not have made sense to bring it to the nearest county ground after it had been refused permission twice? Most counties have at least two designated county grounds.

It seems like the organisers and local county board could have come to some agreement if this was handled correctly. I suspect there's more to it than is being reported.
Its the local community coming together in their own town/parish for one of their own who's in trouble. It's that simple to me and should have simply been a case of informing the club the tornament was taking place. You can be certain there were members of the GAA club playing in and involved in organising the day's events. It seems to have been a real family event with drinks/food for people to come and just enjoy the day and raise money for a good cause.

Thats what makes it so depressing and a bit frightening some of the hate and posted towards the event/man's health.

Im amazed how all of a sudden so many people are insistent  that the rules must be followed. When a club/inter county player is sent off the 1st thing the team involved does is appeal and look for some technicality to overturn the suspension even though in the vast majority of cases the player was deservedly sent off and no actual sporting reason to overturn the decision.

thewobbler

Show me one post where anyone has exhibited any form of hate towards the man in question, let alone his health.

Surmising doesn't work in a threaded message board you twit.

dublin7

Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2019, 08:39:58 PM
Show me one post where anyone has exhibited any form of hate towards the man in question, let alone his health.

Serioulsy!!@@ Your arrogance and ignorance is overwhelming.

This is a young man with a wife and kids who is going to die a slow horrible death from MND so a fundraiser was organised to raise as much money as possible for the family. That point seems irrelevant to heartless b**stards here. Its all about playing soccer on a GAA pitch. Can't do that/ sure they deserved the suspension.  At least the local community have some basic humanity

thewobbler

Quote from: dublin7 on April 25, 2019, 08:53:33 PM

This is a young man with a wife and kids who is going to die a slow horrible death from MND so a fundraiser was organised to raise as much money as possible for the family. That point seems irrelevant to heartless b**stards here. Its all about playing soccer on a GAA pitch. Can't do that/ sure they deserved the suspension.  At least the local community have

There has not been one unpleasant comment towards the person or the illness on this thread. In fact there hasn't been one unpleasant comment about the event or the club either.

But your narrative clearly suits construing the other "side" as the bad guys, and you're happy to willingly make up absolute horseshit to help you play out this charade.

Yet you call me ignorant?

Wise up child. One day you'll understand that when rules are open to common sense interpretation, then they're also open to abuse. Which is why players will often contest suspensions.

This Donegal thing is much closer to black and white. Especially as the club were refused permission twice, and still went on ahead.

dublin7

Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2019, 09:11:33 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on April 25, 2019, 08:53:33 PM

This is a young man with a wife and kids who is going to die a slow horrible death from MND so a fundraiser was organised to raise as much money as possible for the family. That point seems irrelevant to heartless b**stards here. Its all about playing soccer on a GAA pitch. Can't do that/ sure they deserved the suspension.  At least the local community have

There has not been one unpleasant comment towards the person or the illness on this thread. In fact there hasn't been one unpleasant comment about the event or the club either.

But your narrative clearly suits construing the other "side" as the bad guys, and you're happy to willingly make up absolute horseshit to help you play out this charade.

Yet you call me ignorant?

Wise up child. One day you'll understand that when rules are open to common sense interpretation, then they're also open to abuse. Which is why players will often contest suspensions.

This Donegal thing is much closer to black and white. Especially as the club were refused permission twice, and still went on ahead.

The GAA had to bring in the DRA to stop players taking court cases against suspensions!!!

How many players down the years (especially at intercounty level) have had bans overturned for technicalities even though they have been rightly sent off. County players/sides will appeal red cards almost automatically these many in hope for a technicality to get away with it. Your attitude is typical of this. I wouldn't take pride in it.  In rugby for example you get one hearing and in soccer you can have the ban INCREASED for frivolously appealing a ban. Unfortunately with attitudes like yours, things won't change. Ahhh sure lets appeal, why not. Ref might have spelt his name wrong on the report. Every year there are articiles looking for the GAA to tighten/overhaul their rule book  but unfortunately nothing ever changes

Well done to the community and the GAA club for supporting the family/charity event & f**k the begrudgers

thewobbler

So just to be clear Dublin7, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. You favour increased sanctions when a player breaks the rules, to deter them from appealing.

2. You don't want sanctions applied when a club breaks the rules.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: thewobbler on April 26, 2019, 08:58:15 AM

1. You favour increased sanctions when a player breaks the rules, to deter them from appealing.

what rule did they break?
the field isn't owned by the gaa

MoChara

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 26, 2019, 10:25:20 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 26, 2019, 08:58:15 AM

what rule did they break?
the field isn't owned by the gaa

If the field isn't under the authority of the GAA why did they seek permission from the County to play on it and not whoever actually owns the pitch? Who is liable is something happened on that field, they are the people who's permission is required.