Connacht SFC 2019

Started by Rossfan, April 23, 2019, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manning18

Not really getting the same assumption about O'Donnell starting. He's obviously been the vice captain up until now and captain before that. He didn't get his game at all last year after the Mayo game, and that area is looking a lot busier this year with the addition of McDaid (who he clearly loves), Silke (guaranteed starter)and John Daly. He'll have to try fit in players like Heaney who he's always started, Kelly whos constantly improving and Molloy who the fans all want to start. People say Walsh is over loyal to Bradshaw and GO'D but he has no trouble trying Michael Farragher as a left field alternative to Bradshaw in early 2017, and dropping GO'D last year. Injuries will likely dictate everything versus London and Sligo for starters though

GalwayBayBoy

Comer injury

https://www.the42.ie/damien-comer-galway-connacht-injury-4603756-Apr2019/

AFTER BLAZING A trail in 2018 for the Galway footballers, a seemingly 'innocuous' injury sustained at Christmas has derailed the plans for Damien Comer in 2019.

The Galway captain fractured a bone in his foot in a charity soccer game on St Stephen's Day and has yet to feature for the county team this year. He missed their entire league campaign and will also be absent for the early rounds of the championship.

But a Connacht final date in mid June, provided Galway get there, is a potential comeback date for the Annaghdown man.

"(It happened) on St Stephen's Day in a soccer match we play every year, so it was an innocuous enough thing," stated Comer.

"It would have been fine if it had been picked up in the first scan. It didn't. It just showed up a small bit of damage. Then I got it scanned again, it showed a fracture so I'd to go for surgery then.

"I wasn't training away. There was still pain, I just didn't know what was wrong with it. I hadn't done much because I wasn't really able, it was too sore. I wouldn't have done an awful lot of damage but when it showed up the second time, it showed up the fracture and I had to get a screw to fix it.

"Seven weeks post-op nearly now. Just rehabbing away. It's a bit slower than I expected, I thought I'd be further on than I am. But the physio and doctors are saying mid-June for a return to play. That'll leave me with missing the first game (against London) anyway.

"If we make it to the Sligo game, I'll miss that as well. If everything goes well, hopefully a Connacht final. It's hard to know. I'm relying on whenever the pain goes down and that."

Comer admits it's been a frustrating experience watching on as Galway feature to date this season.

"It was. It's never nice being injured. Watching the lads play was different. I've been lucky enough, even up to last year with the college and everything, I was nearly surprised I didn't pick up an injury along the way because I was playing so much.

"It could have been my body this year telling me I needed a rest. It's just unfortunate really the way it worked out, it didn't get picked up the first time. It delayed a few weeks.

"But I'm positive, I'm just rehabbing away and trying to get my body in as good a shape as I can before getting back. Whenever that time comes to come back, I'll be as prepared as possible."

GalwayBayBoy

Prenty Dome

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dome-where-the-heart-is-in-connachts-ambitious-3million-plan-38044542.html

Connacht GAA hope to have what they claim is the biggest sports air dome of its kind in the world open by early December.

The air dome, which will be 150 metres in length by 100 metres in width, will accommodate a pitch almost the size of MacHale Park in Castlebar and will be able to host FBD Connacht League matches when it is operational with some 600 seats in its initial phase.

Connacht GAA aim to use it predominantly as the hub for their coaching and games development programmes but matches affected by adverse weather will be facilitated there, Connacht Council GAA secretary John Prenty said yesterday.

It will be open to other sports too provided clearance is given from the GAA's Central Council which has relaxed its rules towards the staging of other sports in recent months.

The facility will be based on their 83-acre centre of excellence in Bekan just outside Ballyhaunis and just a few miles from Knock where a regional airport was built in the 1980s that many thought at the time was unnecessary.

The air dome for Gaelic games may draw some similar reaction now in places but Prenty outlined yesterday that the facility will be debt-free with €2.1 million already pledged by the Department of Rural and Community development's €1 billion fund.

The rest of the project will be resourced from GAA funds and relevant philanthropic funds, Prenty said.

"It's the biggest sporting dome in the world and the biggest indoor facility in the country, we think. It will be a huge boost to the Association in Connacht," he stated.

"It will have a full-size pitch, a gym and eventually a running track. We can play FBD Connacht League games, minor league games, any kind of a schools game.

"We had 1,500 school games played here last year. Some were played in bad conditions.

"They can all be accommodated in this. But the main focus will be on coaching and games development," he said.

When the dome is raised, it will cost in the region of €400 per month to keep inflated, Prenty estimated.

Connacht Council officials visited a similar facility in Finland as part of a fact-finding mission.

At a presentation yesterday, it was revealed that the only facility of its kind that is bigger is used for recycling in South Korea.

The cost of the project is estimated to be at around €3 million and work will begin in early June, it is hoped, with a planned completion date in late November.

"We'd hope that construction will take around five months," Prenty said.

Rossfan

Meanwhile most clubs haven't enough space or facilities to train half their players and are resorting to all sorts of mad things to raise funds.
But sure once  Prenty's Vanity Tent is getting blown away by the wind beyond in desolate Mayo well be all grand.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

cornetto

I know challenge games are notorious but galway getting well beaten by a cork team that really struggled in the league is a tad worrying,they were out again Friday night against tipp anyone hear any result in that one?

twohands!!!

Quote from: cornetto on April 28, 2019, 11:42:55 AM
I know challenge games are notorious but galway getting well beaten by a cork team that really struggled in the league is a tad worrying,they were out again Friday night against tipp anyone hear any result in that one?

Galway must not have been trying a leg - the other explanation is that Cork have managed to turn a handful of decent one-off performances before going back to being awful the last few years - thier game in the championship against Tipp last year, taking Mayo to extra-time in 2017, drawing with Galway in the league in 2017. Hearing this result has my looking at the odds for the Tipp Cork game.

Blowitupref

A nine point win for Galway against Tipp i hear so the team that lost to Cork must have been Galway's 2nd team?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

galwayman

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 29, 2019, 12:23:54 AM

A nine point win for Galway against Tipp i hear so the team that lost to Cork must have been Galway's 2nd team?
It was a reasonably strong Galway team that lined out against Cork albeit there were loads of changes made early in the second half.
Notable absentees would have been Silke, Bradshaw, Burke, the 2 Daly's and obviously the injured Comer, McDaid, Cooke and Duggan.
It was a poor performance no doubt but wouldn't say you could read anything into it.

An Fhairche Abu

I wouldn't read anything into challenge match results either good or bad, if Galway don't perform next Sunday it'll be a different issue.

Rossfan

2 handy wins for the 2 Irish teams I presume?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Very big Mayo crowd heading to NY I am hearing. Wonder if Gaelic Park will even be able to accommodate them all.

BennyCake

They should move it to Limerick

sans pessimism

Mayo captain DOC out of New York clash due to injury.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

giveballaghback

2 pages of a Connacht championship thread and not a word from syf, am I missing something here? and no Im not worried.

From the Bunker

Quote from: giveballaghback on April 29, 2019, 10:46:50 PM
2 pages of a Connacht championship thread and not a word from syf, am I missing something here? and no Im not worried.

Syferus has been off the Radar since January 9th!