Ryanair set for £8 flights to US

Started by ziggysego, November 02, 2008, 10:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

Another agenda at work here. I am struggling with idea that Ryanair's longest serving pilot had genuine safety concerns. Why would he fly the planes if he thought them unsafe ? :-\

This is from April 2013 and seems to be consistent enough with Ryanair'c claim that it was about union recognition.

https://www.eurocockpit.be/stories/20130416/ryanair-pilot-rewarded-for-outstanding-contribution

muppet

Quote from: bcarrier on August 15, 2013, 09:32:56 AM
Another agenda at work here. I am struggling with idea that Ryanair's longest serving pilot had genuine safety concerns. Why would he fly the planes if he thought them unsafe ? :-\

This is from April 2013 and seems to be consistent enough with Ryanair'c claim that it was about union recognition.

https://www.eurocockpit.be/stories/20130416/ryanair-pilot-rewarded-for-outstanding-contribution

He publicly raised concerns regarding safety.

He got fired for doing so.

They proved his point for him.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Ryanair never got going transatlantic. Most of their PR is bollocks.
Or tits. 

muppet

If anyone wants an interesting read, this is an incident that occurred when a Ryanair aircraft taxiing at Barcelona collided with a stationary American Airlines aircraft which was waiting to take off.

There was significant damage to both aircraft. Both aircraft took off and, in the case of the AA aircraft, they didn't know about the collision.

Passengers on board the Ryanair witnessed the collision, they informed the Cabin Crew, who informed the Captain, who did nothing. The Captain noticed damage on the ground at the destination, Ibiza. Ryanair then contacted American Airlines. Ryanair continued to fly their aircraft with the damage, American Airlines withdrew their aircraft from service to repair the damage.

http://www.fomento.gob.es/NR/rdonlyres/DADD9E31-B11F-449B-913E-92BC0487C4EC/112681/2011_011_IN_ENG.pdf
http://avherald.com/h?article=45363621

The report made 2 recommendations, one regarding painted markings on the ground at Barcelona and the other effectively blaming the Ryanair Cabin Crew for 'ineffectual communications'.

In my opinion, the latter is a massive cop out and ignores the fact that the Captain was made aware that at least one passenger believed there was a collision involving the aircraft, before take off. The Captain, for whatever reason, did not investigate this information and thus  allowed two damaged aircraft to get airborne. Any sane person would have delayed takeoff to make sure the aircraft was not damaged. There was no mention of the investigation looking into Time Pressures or Safety Reporting cultures.

Today the Department of Transport and the IAA are out defending Ryanair after the Channel 4 programme: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/aviation-watchdog-accuses-channel-4-of-misguided-attack-1.1492773

Irish Regulation in general has a pretty poor reputation after the Financial Debacle. The Fundamentals are sound, the banks are fully funded, nothing to see here in Aviation either lads.

MWWSI 2017

bcarrier

A pilot flying Ryanair planes for 25+ years  while having serious safety concerns makes no sense to me.

His complaint has all the appearance of a parting shot before retirement and backed by other company's aviation unions as per the earlier link i.e.
Quote We hope this award will reinforce Ryanair pilots' determination to strive for fair employment conditions and continue to be united in their effort.

muppet

Quote from: bcarrier on August 15, 2013, 11:29:08 AM
A pilot flying Ryanair planes for 25+ years  while having serious safety concerns makes no sense to me.

His complaint has all the appearance of a parting shot before retirement and backed by other company's aviation unions as per the earlier link i.e.
Quote We hope this award will reinforce Ryanair pilots' determination to strive for fair employment conditions and continue to be united in their effort.

Would you consider safety a 'fair employment condition'?

Would you also consider due process a 'fair employment condition' or does appearing on TV allow instant dismissal?
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: muppet on August 15, 2013, 11:53:42 AM

The guy can't sign a document saying he was happy with the working conditions and safety of Ryanair one week then go and lambast them on the TV the next . . . unless he was kidnapped in a nightclub in Ibiza and held at gunpoint  :o :o

muppet

Quote from: screenexile on August 15, 2013, 11:56:15 AM

The guy can't sign a document saying he was happy with the working conditions and safety of Ryanair one week then go and lambast them on the TV the next . . . unless he was kidnapped in a nightclub in Ibiza and held at gunpoint  :o :o

What EXACTLY was the document Ryanair alleged he signed?
MWWSI 2017

bcarrier

Would you also consider due process a 'fair employment condition' or does appearing on TV allow instant dismissal?

Looks like he will have his second day in court but I can certainly see why his employer considered his TV appearance gross misconduct. I am sure he has a big HR file.

muppet

Quote from: bcarrier on August 15, 2013, 02:33:42 PM

Looks like he will have his second day in court but I can certainly see why his employer considered his TV appearance gross misconduct. I am sure he has a big HR file.

Can you explain why?

Most people make assumptions on the basis that everything is as it appears and that all parties are somewhat reasonable.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on August 15, 2013, 11:11:03 AM
If anyone wants an interesting read, this is an incident that occurred when a Ryanair aircraft taxiing at Barcelona collided with a stationary American Airlines aircraft which was waiting to take off.

There was significant damage to both aircraft. Both aircraft took off and, in the case of the AA aircraft, they didn't know about the collision.

Passengers on board the Ryanair witnessed the collision, they informed the Cabin Crew, who informed the Captain, who did nothing. The Captain noticed damage on the ground at the destination, Ibiza. Ryanair then contacted American Airlines. Ryanair continued to fly their aircraft with the damage, American Airlines withdrew their aircraft from service to repair the damage.

http://www.fomento.gob.es/NR/rdonlyres/DADD9E31-B11F-449B-913E-92BC0487C4EC/112681/2011_011_IN_ENG.pdf
http://avherald.com/h?article=45363621

The report made 2 recommendations, one regarding painted markings on the ground at Barcelona and the other effectively blaming the Ryanair Cabin Crew for 'ineffectual communications'.

In my opinion, the latter is a massive cop out and ignores the fact that the Captain was made away that at least one passenger believed there was a collision involved the aircraft, before take off. The Captain, for whatever reason, did not investigate this information and thus  allowed two damaged aircraft to get airborne. Any sane person would have delayed takeoff to make sure the aircraft was not damaged. There was no mention of the investigation looking into Time Pressures or Safety Reporting cultures.

Today the Department of Transport and the IAA are out defending Ryanair after the Channel 4 programme: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/aviation-watchdog-accuses-channel-4-of-misguided-attack-1.1492773

Irish Regulation in general has a pretty poor reputation after the Financial Debacle. The Fundamentals are sound, the banks are fully funded, nothing to see here in Aviation either lads.
GRMA Muppet.

Very interesting. Irish regulation is nothing to be proud of and with one of the biggest private companies in the country who calls the shots ? 

muppet

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od#3561141

The above is the link to the programme in question. It is only 27 minutes long.

The man who was fired speaks three times.

After about a minute he speaks of the lack of confidence of most of his colleagues in the 'safety agencies'. He doesn't seem to mention Ryanair in that exchange.

After 10 minutes he is back and mentions the fuel league table Ryanair apparently uses to keep tabs on how much fuel each pilot uses. He said it annoyed him. When asked about managements view he said you would have to ask them. (This fuel table is common knowledge in the public domain: http://www.thejournal.ie/oleary-has-no-concerns-over-ryanair-fuel-policy-1034330-Aug2013/ - "We don't want boy racers flying our planes")

After 24 minutes he spoke of confidential reports made to the IAA and his belief that they were not appropriately acted upon. He speaks about the industry generally and the sharing of information regarding incidents so that everyone can learn form everyone else's mistakes. He makes a comment regarding Ryanair in this context. (This is a given in the industry and is why anyone can pull reports on any major event off the net with ease). He reiterates his lack of confidence in the agencies.

Most of his airtime was commenting about 'safety agencies' so the conspiracy theories about a Trade Union agenda ring hollow. He said very little regarding Ryanair directly so the sacking looks ludicrous, especially when they could have started a process and grounded him until he retires in 2 months. In my opinion the sacking was a message for the others.
MWWSI 2017

Captain Obvious

When can i book one of these £8 flights to US?

muppet

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 15, 2013, 04:25:38 PM
When can i book one of these £8 flights to US?

There is a fella on the bridge I sold to Lawnseed selling them.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on August 15, 2013, 03:57:45 PM
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od#3561141

The above is the link to the programme in question. It is only 27 minutes long.

The man who was fired speaks three times.

After about a minute he speaks of the lack of confidence of most of his colleagues in the 'safety agencies'. He doesn't seem to mention Ryanair in that exchange.

After 10 minutes he is back and mentions the fuel league table Ryanair apparently uses to keep tabs on how much fuel each pilot uses. He said it annoyed him. When asked about managements view he said you would have to ask them. (This fuel table is common knowledge in the public domain: http://www.thejournal.ie/oleary-has-no-concerns-over-ryanair-fuel-policy-1034330-Aug2013/ - "We don't want boy racers flying our planes")

After 24 minutes he spoke of confidential reports made to the IAA and his belief that they were not appropriately acted upon. He speaks about the industry generally and the sharing of information regarding incidents so that everyone can learn form everyone else's mistakes. He makes a comment regarding Ryanair in this context. (This is a given in the industry and is why anyone can pull reports on any major event off the net with ease). He reiterates his lack of confidence in the agencies.

Most of his airtime was commenting about 'safety agencies' so the conspiracy theories about a Trade Union agenda ring hollow. He said very little regarding Ryanair directly so the sacking looks ludicrous, especially when they could have started a process and grounded him until he retires in 2 months. In my opinion the sacking was a message for the others.
I wonder what happens to his pension.