Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 29, 2019, 10:07:21 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 29, 2019, 09:26:23 PM
Defo feel good factor coming from the most watched championship ever - our PRO made sure everyone got to watch it no matter where they were - top man

Is Gaelfast producing good Vibes too? lots of activity for sure but r any clubs feeling the benefit yet??????

Surely Galefast is working at primary level? I doubt we'll see benefits until that process has run its course and hopefully numbers increase and sustainability resulting in bigger numbers playing our games. Success should be seen as increased numbers, better full time coaches, improved participation from schools. Once those targets are met (if that is their goal) we'll benefit in the long run..

I don't think this is a get rich quick scheme
Definitely not a quick impact scheme but would love to hear some even small results like X club's juvenile membership growing rapidly or a new club being formed on the back of increased numbers but you are right MR2 we will have to be patient in the weeks and months ahead to see such thingS

bannside

Probably the biggest obstacle qe have in Antrim especially Belfast is the lure of organised soccer. I recently talked to a schoolteacher in St Marys who named a dozen class acts at gaelic football who were going to be good county standard who fell through the net to soccer. Winning the battle for hearts and minds of GAA over soccer in nationalist areas is the first big test. Im happy to kerp the faith with Paul Donnelly and his troops that this can be achieved.

paddyjohn

Eamon Fyfe confirmed now also. Somebody check on Peter John

bannside

Lol PJ. Good to see a Glenravel man on the panel after a few years. Alec Mc Quillan and Martin Mulholland were two of the best Saffrons ever in my time watching. Eamon has the world of ability too....hope he can kick on into a big player for us now!

bannside

The breaking news that Creagh Concrete are to step up their financial association with the county by sponsoring all 8 development squads is another fantastic boost for Antrim Gaa. The Mc Keague family firm has stood tall with Antrim through some dark days, a period of one negative story after another and of course  tough times of their own during a long and nasty recession.

They are a company on a big upward curve now and see the many positive changes happening throughout the county and look set to take their involvement with Antrim Gaa to the next level. It may take a decade to "make Antrim great" but developments like this one can really make it happen.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: bannside on October 30, 2019, 11:30:01 PM
The breaking news that Creagh Concrete are to step up their financial association with the county by sponsoring all 8 development squads is another fantastic boost for Antrim Gaa. The Mc Keague family firm has stood tall with Antrim through some dark days, a period of one negative story after another and of course  tough times of their own during a long and nasty recession.

They are a company on a big upward curve now and see the many positive changes happening throughout the county and look set to take their involvement with Antrim Gaa to the next level. It may take a decade to "make Antrim great" but developments like this one can really make it happen.

Who are the new senior sponsors BS?

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on October 30, 2019, 08:41:34 PM
Lol PJ. Good to see a Glenravel man on the panel after a few years. Alec Mc Quillan and Martin Mulholland were two of the best Saffrons ever in my time watching. Eamon has the world of ability too....hope he can kick on into a big player for us now!

Alec has to be in the Top3 best Antrim players of all time I'd say.

ned

Quote from: paddyjohn on October 31, 2019, 10:47:54 AM

Really? Superlative free taker, longevity too but that's some claim. I'm not disputing your statement right enough. Trained with him regularly at club and can safely say he was Glenravel's greatest.

bannside

I'm with PaddyJohn on this. Havent seen many better than Alec for consistency over a period from around 1980 until early nineties. Best of his generation imo. Could have played anywhere, never wasted a ball.

paddyjohn

Quote from: ned on October 31, 2019, 12:44:17 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on October 31, 2019, 10:47:54 AM

Really? Superlative free taker, longevity too but that's some claim. I'm not disputing your statement right enough. Trained with him regularly at club and can safely say he was Glenravel's greatest.

I'd be quite confident that 7/10 people would agree with me.

Belfast GAA man

talking about best ever players is near impossible when comparing era's
Best stab would by decade - for starters

90s - Ciaran O'Neill, Aidan Donnelly, Terry McCrudden, John Rafferty
00s - Kevin Brady, Kevin McGourty,Sean Kelly,
10's - Michael McCann, CJ McGourty,Paddy Cunningam

bannside

All about opinions I suppose, no one can really claim to have the definitive answer. Thing about Alec is...he put everything into playing for the county, for about twelve years or more. In fairness Kevin Brady did too, and he is most worthy of a place in this discussion. They both gave club and county everything and never missed a year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 31, 2019, 09:35:51 PM
Joe Quinn, Kevin Madden, Loughrey, Niblock, Kobo all must be in with a shout.

Not going to argue with that, along with McCann, I can go back as far as Mickey Darragh and that auld team, Flash, and very young Jimmy Wilson
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

All class acts too no doubt.

bannside

Take the 09 team that went toe to toe for most of the game in Tullamore against a Kerry team that went on to win that year. Would a fit and available Sean Kelly Kevin & Kieran Mc Gourty not gave given us an extra 5% or 10%?? And could that have won the game for us?

No one really saw that team coming....the quality of players were in our midst the whole time! Dont forget St Galls won the All Ireland club title too that year.