[D1] Roscommon v Mayo - 27/03/16 [3:30pm, Dr. Hyde Park]

Started by Syferus, March 13, 2016, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Just showing off I gave Ye the news before it was news . 😀
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 29, 2016, 10:04:36 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 29, 2016, 09:40:41 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 25, 2016, 11:05:45 AM
TT has opted out too I'm hearing.

Best of luck to him . Wasn't playing well of late but had some fine days in the green above the red .

Crippled with injury. Mayo could ever only get one (good) half out of him. For a short period gave Higgins a chance to play center half forward (usually for one half as said earlier).

Maybe he can get his injuries sorted and come back again. Losing a back with his pace is regrettable.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: moysider on March 29, 2016, 11:00:29 PM

Best of luck to him . Wasn't playing well of late but had some fine days in the green above the red .

Crippled with injury. Mayo could ever only get one (good) half out of him. For a short period gave Higgins a chance to play center half forward (usually for one half as said earlier).

Maybe he can get his injuries sorted and come back again. Losing a back with his pace is regrettable.
What age is he? Must be close to 30.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 29, 2016, 11:18:00 PM

He's about 29/30! He had a year out in 2012 to sort out injuries. I'd say the body has had enough. I'd say even club commitments are a big ask for him.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 29, 2016, 11:27:53 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 29, 2016, 11:18:00 PM

He's about 29/30! He had a year out in 2012 to sort out injuries. I'd say the body has had enough. I'd say even club commitments are a big ask for him.

Age not an issue. Kerry have lads mid 30's anchoring their team - Marc O Sé and O Mahoney. Both flyin' around the place.
Injuries take a bigger toll. Best of luck to Tom. He's a fella I would have liked to have around but he knows best.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on March 29, 2016, 03:38:28 PM
Was impressed with Evan Regan.
Good addition to have a direct runner in the FF line.
He'd want to get himself a proper haircut though.
Fellas with fancy haircuts tend to be unreliable.

He is bringing back the Tommy Dowd Shhtyle haircut ;). There was nothining unreliable about him, well on the pitch anyway ;D.

moysider

Quote from: Crete Boom on March 30, 2016, 12:06:24 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on March 29, 2016, 03:38:28 PM
Was impressed with Evan Regan.
Good addition to have a direct runner in the FF line.
He'd want to get himself a proper haircut though.
Fellas with fancy haircuts tend to be unreliable.

He is bringing back the Tommy Dowd Shhtyle haircut ;). There was nothining unreliable about him, well on the pitch anyway ;D.

??

The which?

twohands!!!

Quote from: moysider on March 30, 2016, 12:02:40 AM

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Age not an issue. Kerry have lads mid 30's anchoring their team - Marc O Sé and O Mahoney. Both flyin' around the place.
Injuries take a bigger toll. Best of luck to Tom. He's a fella I would have liked to have around but he knows best.

[/quote]

Staying injury free I think is key if you are going to have an intercounty career into your 30s - I don't think O'Se or O'Mahoney had any serious injuries at any stage.

Hound

Interesting (and what I would regard as positive from a Mayo perspective) comments from Tony McEntee in the Irish Times today. Very reluctant to give any praise for the Roscommon victory given the performance level was below what he was expecting. And not afraid to say the focus is on September.

Also got a dig in for some reason at Donegal, saying they are overtrained.

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on March 30, 2016, 02:48:47 PM
Interesting (and what I would regard as positive from a Mayo perspective) comments from Tony McEntee in the Irish Times today. Very reluctant to give any praise for the Roscommon victory given the performance level was below what he was expecting. And not afraid to say the focus is on September.

It's all grand saying the right things. Mayo still have exactly the same frailties they had last year and in any of the Horan years. McEntee and Rochford were both more effusive of Mayo 'performance' on Mid-West after the match so I think you're reading far too much into a bit of print.

Hound

Quote from: Syferus on March 30, 2016, 02:53:09 PM

It's all grand saying the right things. Mayo still have exactly the same frailties they had last year and in any of the Horan years. McEntee and Rochford were both more effusive of Mayo 'performance' on Mid-West after the match so I think you're reading far too much into a bit of print.
I don't think anyone said anywhere that Mayo have addressed their frailties from recent years.

At the same stage, they have been a kick of a ball from beating Dublin and Kerry in the last 2 years and people thinking that the gap has widended, just because of a couple of poor league performances without some key players, would be jumping the gun.

I don't know any Mayo man who thought they played well at the weekend. They are the third best team in the country and rightly should have high standards and have the aim of being in the mix in September.

rosnarun

Quote from: Hound on March 30, 2016, 03:58:33 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 30, 2016, 02:53:09 PM

I don't think anyone said anywhere that Mayo have addressed their frailties from recent years.

At the same stage, they have been a kick of a ball from beating Dublin and Kerry in the last 2 years and people thinking that the gap has widended, just because of a couple of poor league performances without some key players, would be jumping the gun.

I don't know any Mayo man who thought they played well at the weekend. They are the third best team in the country and rightly should have high standards and have the aim of being in the mix in September.

not too many frailties when your in the top 2/3 teams in the country for as long as mayo. big expectations bring big disappointments but if mayo are frail 30 counties are made of Glass
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

highorlow

Very quiet here these days.

Regan was a shining light for us 3 years ago. Interesting to see what he does on Saturday evening.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Cunny Funt

Quote from: highorlow on January 24, 2019, 08:19:41 PM
Very quiet here these days.

Regan was a shining light for us 3 years ago. Interesting to see what he does on Saturday evening.

I suppose scoring well against Roscommon comes with a health warning. For example Richie Donnelly for Tyrone looked the part last summer v Roscommon only to struggle in the games afterwards against more organized defenses.

Saturday night is a good opportunity to see if Roscommon have really improved defensively (can't read much into the FBD) for some old habits die hard.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM