Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyDupree

Galer

At least we get a slap at derry next year

bannside

After a sluggish start Antrim settled down to play good football and win the game comfortably enough in the end. Some very good individual performances, notably Kobo who looked as good as his old self again after a horrible year of two with injuries, as well as  Ryan Murray, Paddy Mc Bride, and Chris Kerr who were all excellent. I've seen Antrim teams lose matches in places like yesterday, where Limerick raised their game and went three points up early on, but when we eventually settled some to boss the game there was only one winner.

It was a long road home especially after hearing the live commentary of the last three or four minutes of the other game, and when the commentator reported that Carlow had scored a last minute goal to win the game we were over the moon, thinking we were still in the hunt for promotion. The good news was passed to the Antrim players were were naturally delighted too, and about a minute later it transpired that the Carlow goal was disallowed, so there were some emotional high jinks at the end.

Overall a mixed league campaign with plenty of positives, and Lenny will have a better idea now of what needs to be done to get out of the basement next year.

Belfast GAA man

Anyone know how the u17 footballers are getting on?

Pocs pints and the gaa

Well done to the Armagh lads today into the Hogan final. Great achievement for the parish and the wider Lurgan area.

JimStynes

Unreal! Croke Park April the 7th! Some experience for the lads

Mickey Linden

Will be great to see so many antrim lads lining out in the upcoming hogan final. Traditionally aghagllon players have been overlooked by antrim for one reason or another but I still think this could be a good thing for the county. Antrim have been sadly lacking at schools level in the past 20 years or more

bannside

Good luck to every one of them, not too many Antrim.players get a chance to win a Hogan cup medal. Exciting times for Aghagallon....they should be making a breakthrough with the talent they have.

Milltown Row2

Transferring minor success to senior success is harder than you think.. though I've seen enough of this team lately to see good progress.. all about filtering the the young lads into the senior team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Gs Man

Quote from: Pocs pints and the gaa on March 28, 2018, 04:32:42 PM
Well done to the Armagh lads today into the Hogan final. Great achievement for the parish and the wider Lurgan area.

At your work again ye mixer! 
Keep 'er lit

JimStynes

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 29, 2018, 10:00:09 AM
Quote from: Pocs pints and the gaa on March 28, 2018, 04:32:42 PM

At your work again ye mixer!

Sure you're an Armagh man!

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2018, 12:08:10 AM
Transferring minor success to senior success is harder than you think.. though I've seen enough of this team lately to see good progress.. all about filtering the the young lads into the senior team

Keeping them together and making sure they are still progressing is the big challenge. A lot of the lads don't bother with the county but it's probably the only way for them to bring their game to the next level.

Sportacus

Fair enough Bannside, some sort of Senior Championship impact is the next step for Aghagallon, but to be fair they've been making breakthroughs every six months this last few years: first U21 championship title, first county minor final, top six division finish, MacRory Cup and potential Hogan for half their minor team.  Under new management this year who will want to push the bar higher.
But, look at Derry, umpteen MacRory Cup successes and landed in Division Four, so absolutely no certainties of anything going forward.

imtommygunn

Are they favourites for the minor title? I can't recall but don't think they won u16?

(On that note I don't even know if u18 exists any more in a club context... does it?)

playwiththewind1st

Age levels & structure? Black card rule? Casement reopening? The GAA is a total mystery nowadays.