9 11 where were you when it happened?

Started by 5 Sams, September 11, 2008, 09:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down Gael

I dont think Fear ón Srath Bán meant the people that died had it coming, rather America itself.

stephenite

It is my opinion that thousand upon thoudands of lives have been needlessly lost since then - as a result of America's reaction to these very unfortunate events.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 12, 2008, 12:17:42 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 11, 2008, 11:21:33 PM
It isn't worth the remembering, in the grand scheme of things. And do we remember only because it was the first truly graphical loss of life on a grand, though not mass, scale, on an almost real-time basis? They had it coming, and a whole lot more of it (and I have many, many, US relatives). The really scary bit is, that this Sarah Palin yoke looks like she's drawing votes, and she counts Ireland as one of the overseas countries she has visited, even though her plane only stopped in Shannon to refuel after a whistlestop tour of the troops in the Middle-East, which accounted for her other three countries! Wow! Since then (and long before), the US have been responsible for many thousands of times those deaths, yet we don't see the pictures, nor will we.

I remember where I was, but I wish I didn't.

Maith thu Fear....I dont profess to be an expert on US foreign policy but 3,000 innocent people die and as far as you're concerned they had it coming....I hope you were drunk when you posted that shite above.

"I dont profess to be an expert on US foreign policy"...

Then you really should think twice before starting obsequious threads.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Down Gael on September 12, 2008, 12:21:24 AM
I dont think Fear ón Srath Bán meant the people that died had it coming, rather America itself.

Thank you Down Gael, exactly.

5 Sams

QuoteThey had it coming, and a whole lot more of it

Maybe you should clarify what you meant to say then. Maith an  fear
The Aristocrat Years

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 12, 2008, 12:43:00 AM
Maybe you should clarify what you meant to say then. Maith an  fear

Are you pissed? Down Gael distilled it.

5 Sams

Quotethink twice before starting obsequious threads

I came on here and asked people where they were when 9/11 happened and asked them to give us their personal experiences.

What is obsequious about that? Maybe you have a different definition for that word....are you Tony Fearon in disguise??

The Aristocrat Years

Fear ón Srath Bán

leenie

on a lighter note.............. a thread that will be up in the future....

WHERE WERE U WHEN TYRONE STOPPED KERRY'S THREE IN A ROW IN THE NOUGHTIES!!!!!!

hopefully!!!!!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

J70

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 12, 2008, 12:58:54 AM
And what is so special about 9/11?

Terrorists flying commercial planes into iconic buildings murdering thousands is an everyday occurence in Strabane, is it? ;)

Like it or not, it was probably the defining moment in western history since the fall of the Soviet Union. Many people were horrified and traumatized, others celebrated, but people all over the planet had some kind of reaction to what was an incredibly shocking event that was broadcast live all over the world. The tsunami may have been huge news and much, much more destructive, but in terms of wider history and influence, it probably means little, sad to say, except that nations will hopefully be better prepared in future to deal with such catastrophes. What other event grabbed the attention of the world in such a fashion, at least in the lifetimes of the members of this board?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good one J70, you have me in stitches here.

Fancy a serious tilt at that particular question? I.e., Why should that loss of unfortunate life so outweigh the loss of much more significant life elsewhere before and since.

stephenite

Quote from: J70 on September 12, 2008, 01:11:13 AM
What other event grabbed the attention of the world in such a fashion, at least in the lifetimes of the members of this board?

Collapse of the Berlin Wall was a fairly huge and symbolic thing - but I take your point re the scale of the thing

Fear ón Srath Bán

Like it or not, it was probably the defining moment in western history since the fall of the Soviet Union. Many people were horrified and traumatized, others celebrated, but people all over the planet had some kind of reaction to what was an incredibly shocking event that was broadcast live all over the world.

Do you know why that might have been the case? It shouldn't have been.

Fear ón Srath Bán

The US was up to all sorts of nasty overseas adventures before 9/11, I'm surprised just that it took so long for something to rebound. And they still are, with more reason.

leenie

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 12, 2008, 12:58:54 AM
And what is so special about 9/11?

Terrorists flying commercial planes into iconic buildings murdering thousands is an everyday occurence in Strabane, is it? ;)

Like it or not, it was probably the defining moment in western history since the fall of the Soviet Union. Many people were horrified and traumatized, others celebrated, but people all over the planet had some kind of reaction to what was an incredibly shocking event that was broadcast live all over the world. The tsunami may have been huge news and much, much more destructive, but in terms of wider history and influence, it probably means little, sad to say, except that nations will hopefully be better prepared in future to deal with such catastrophes. What other event grabbed the attention of the world in such a fashion, at least in the lifetimes of the members of this board?

and some places in the world who don't have the "privilege" of being in the western world or have the facilities and never will to "deal with such catastrophes" suffer every single day..... no tradegy can out do another but some are brushed aside!

(The Rwandan Genocide was the 1994 mass killing of hundreds of thousands of Rwanda's minority Tutsis and the moderates of its Hutu majority. Over the course of approximately 100 days, from April 6 through to mid July, at least 500,000 people were killed. Most estimates are of a death toll between 800,000 and 1,000,000)

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..