9 11 where were you when it happened?

Started by 5 Sams, September 11, 2008, 09:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

The Falling Man documentary is on Discovery now....horrific stuff
The Aristocrat Years

Tony Baloney

At work in belfast when a girl i know emailled me to say a plane had hit the first tower. Like magic i assumed it was some nut in a light aircraft and had taken out maybe two or three offices max.

Suddenly the office was like one of those movie scenes when all the cops are at a big dinner when a bomb goes off. Mobiles started ringing, people started calling home and everyone was running to the internet. Which was going into meltdown! I think everyone felt a bit scared and knew that the world had changed that day.

Tony Baloney

Rois did you live in Rugby Ave by any chance?

Our Nail Loney

Was in school in st colmans, never even got word of anything til I got home at about five o clocl, i rmember being slightly annoyed that neighbours was cancelled. Went and did my homework and played computer, didnt realise til the next day how serious it was!

screenexile

Had just arrived back from Canada maybe 2 days beforehand and was watching Neighbours like zig when the news came through. Gobsmacked! Ended up watching Sky News for the whole day then. Strangest day ever!!

cicfada

I woke up to an excited phonecall from a friend and was watching it live in Florida where I was too!It was riveting stuff to see the second plane hitting the tower and to hear of all the planes being hijacked! I worked that night in the bar and it was scary to hear all the jingoistic chanting and shouting at the TV!! It was uncomfortable to be non-American at that time there! As I watch the 'Falling Man" documentary now on Discovery I am reminded of how the World stood shoulder to shoulder with the US only for Bush to take his eye off the ball and go after Saddam Hussein instead just a few months afterwards!! At that time I was asking a neighbour what Bush was doing going into Iraq but he said that he trusted Bush! I believe I answered something along the lines of .."Well I guarantee you one thing ..Bin Laden is not in Iraq" He didn't get it all!! Another one swept along with the hype for war!

J70

Was in south Tipp when I heard Joe Duffy announce that a plane had hit the twin towers. Once I found out what was going on, I high-tailed it home to Donegal, as most of my family, including my parents, were in NYC that week and some worked down around there. Finally got through to them when I was half-way home to find they were safe, but some relatives were missing. All were safe in the end, bar one. My family members in NYC knew a few more who died.

Fear ón Srath Bán

It isn't worth the remembering, in the grand scheme of things. And do we remember only because it was the first truly graphical loss of life on a grand, though not mass, scale, on an almost real-time basis? They had it coming, and a whole lot more of it (and I have many, many, US relatives). The really scary bit is, that this Sarah Palin yoke looks like she's drawing votes, and she counts Ireland as one of the overseas countries she has visited, even though her plane only stopped in Shannon to refuel after a whistlestop tour of the troops in the Middle-East, which accounted for her other three countries! Wow! Since then (and long before), the US have been responsible for many thousands of times those deaths, yet we don't see the pictures, nor will we.

I remember where I was, but I wish I didn't.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

stephenite

Yes I Would

Central Station Belfast after a job interview, which i subsequently didnt get!

Unfortunately the innocent who suffer! Enjoy watching the documentaries as there are so so many stories to be told from the people who were there.

thejuice

My cousin was standing on top of one of the Twin Towers on the morning of September 10th, I still shudder at the thoughts of it. Had friends and family who live in NYC including 2 who are cops. Thankfully they didnt arrive too early on the scene.

I was in college in Warrenstown, Drumree
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Donagh

At a funeral in Rafah refugee camp for a 14 year old boy who bled to death after being shot in the stomach by Isreali settlers.

Yes I Would

Quote from: Donagh on September 12, 2008, 12:01:56 AM
At a funeral in Rafah refugee camp for a 14 year old boy who bled to death after being shot in the stomach by Isreali settlers.

Funded, Armed and Encouraged by you know who! The irony!

Down Gael

I was driving across the border to get diesel and heard it on 2fm. Gareth O`Callaghan seemed pretty moved by it. Called in to a friends house a few minutes before the second plane hit. I remember my friend thinking it wasn't real, that it was a movie or documentary.
A lot of innocent people died that day, but many more have died at the hands of America since then. We don't "remember" the innocent Iraqis or Afghans or any other nationality who have died needlessly in retaliation for September 11 2001. One day the truth will out.

5 Sams

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 11, 2008, 11:21:33 PM
It isn't worth the remembering, in the grand scheme of things. And do we remember only because it was the first truly graphical loss of life on a grand, though not mass, scale, on an almost real-time basis? They had it coming, and a whole lot more of it (and I have many, many, US relatives). The really scary bit is, that this Sarah Palin yoke looks like she's drawing votes, and she counts Ireland as one of the overseas countries she has visited, even though her plane only stopped in Shannon to refuel after a whistlestop tour of the troops in the Middle-East, which accounted for her other three countries! Wow! Since then (and long before), the US have been responsible for many thousands of times those deaths, yet we don't see the pictures, nor will we.

I remember where I was, but I wish I didn't.

Maith thu Fear....I dont profess to be an expert on US foreign policy but 3,000 innocent people die and as far as you're concerned they had it coming....I hope you were drunk when you posted that shite above.
The Aristocrat Years