9 11 where were you when it happened?

Started by 5 Sams, September 11, 2008, 09:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Just watching the documentaries on Sky about the anniversary of the attacks on the USA. 7 years on its still unreal to see those planes smashing into the World Trade Centre. I know that there are loads of expats on here..any stories about September the 11th...everyone knows where they were when it happened. Where were you? Was in NYC 3 years after it happened and the locals were still very reticent about talking about it.

BTW anyone with conspiracy theories can start another thread...I'm just asking about personal experiences.
The Aristocrat Years

Rois

I was in my house in the Holylands in Belfast getting ready to start final year at uni.  My friends had come back from the US the wk before and I was eternally grateful.

I'm watching the documentary on C4 about the faker - jeez it's slightly mental.

Norf Tyrone

Feck forgot about that documentary. Must watch it on Ch4 +1.

I was on night shift, and woke about lunchtime or just after it. Flicked on the TV as I lay in the bed to check the text as per normal.
Seen the footage, and sat for five minutes thinking what a great f**king film this is, before it hit me like a bolt.

Phoned the old fella at work, and just remembering not being able to explain how mad it all looked!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Agnes Dipesto

I was at home when the news came on amd interrupted whatever show was on. It was surreal watching it as it happened and then seeing the twin towers falling.

Watched the show last night too about the survivors in the Marriott hotel which was below the towers. It was a miracle those people got out alive.

5 Sams

I was sitting in work and someone said that there was a major "accident" and that a jet had hit one of the twin towers. We all went to the board room (only room with a telly)  to see what was going on...in the next hour we watched the 2nd plane hitting the other tower and then the stuff about the Pentagon and Shanksville. The really scary stuff was watching the towers coming down knowing that there was so many people trapped above the point of impact.

The Aristocrat Years

magickingdom

playing golf when i heard about it but didn't think it was that serious (thought some nut in a small plane), went into the clubhouse afterwards and the attendant was crying. couldn't believe the pictures on telly. was in NY about 6 weeks later and visited ground zero - the smell was still awful and i remember feeling an overpowering sense of the evil that had visited there

KCGaelicFootball

I was at work at the hospital I work at and going through the emergency room on the way to the lunch room and saw it happen all on TV. I was like what the feck is going on???? Is this actually happening.
ta se mor

ziggysego

I was unemployment at the time and watching the early afternoon edition of Neighbours. Switched over to Sky News afterwards to catch the latest news and was shocked to see what I saw.
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

I was off work sick and was out he back clearing water and the wife told me there was a plane crash, and the rest is history
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

saffron sam2

I was in getting the carry out from Curley's off-license.

Honestly.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Pangurban

Was in Sorrento, had been out all day ,heard nothing about it. That night at Dinner in the Hotel, a large group of American tourists were gathered around a table holding hands and singing American patriotic songs, me thinking what the hell is going on here. But my abiding memory is being at Mass the next evening in Sorrento, and all the locals coming up to shake my hand, mistakingly presuming i was American.

nifan

I was in boston at the time, last day there, supposed to go to NY the next morning.
Was walking down the road where a restaurant had pushed a tv against the window - the first plane had hit and a crowd had gathered round the window. The second plane hit when we where watching, up to that point people thought it was an accident.

Didnt got to NY until the 16th in the end, and flew back on the 17th.

That faker show on now is unreal!

HowdyDoody

was in boston myself..going by logan airport on a boat in the morning wondering why there were no planes taking off

Puckoon

I was working as a waiter that day, as one of the girls had called in sick after our summer staff party. I remember being in the kitchen of McElroys in omagh and heard the first reports on the radio. I went downstairs with a few orders, and stood by the bar counter watching TV footage of the first tower on fire. I couldnt believe what we were watching, and at first thought it was an awful mistake.

Then from nowhere the second plane flew in to the second tower live on TV, and well I wouldnt have any words to describe what I was thinking then.

ExiledGael

Was at the very height of my bumming days in Belfast. Remember well watching friends on tv and a message going along the bottom of the screen saying there was a major terrorist incident in New York. Switched over and sat watching it dazed for hours with the rest of the house.
Had a few friends on Manhattan Island that day but thankfully not near the towers.
One of the boys in the house had been been to NY a few weeks earlier and stood at the top of one of the towers on a trip to the Trade Centre.
He was white watching it.