Holidays in Europe

Started by youngfella, August 02, 2008, 01:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

Hello,

Me and the miss has being looking places to go on holidays around europe, Im interested to hear what your opinions are, With regard to the price of stuff (food and drink), Amount of horrible british tourists and weather or not you would go back. So far be have looked at turkey, Greek islands, Bulgaria and Portugal. Any views on any of the places would be great.
Pull hard and early

ardal

I like to stick to the west of Europe, some wee place called Ireland, dear as feck though. try the west coast of spain, basque country, Galecia etc

Puckoon

Take yourself to the canary islands. You can get a self catering there for a good price, and while you may encounter some english (and irish) arseholes just drinking the bit out - there are some very nice family areas, and some nice quiet spots too.

Or, you could check out menorca - had a great holiday there a few years back.

take_yer_points

I'm off to Hungary on Monday morning for the week - going for work but I'll let you know if it would be worth thinking about for a holiday.

Agnes Dipesto

We were in Salou at the end of May and food and drink in the hotel was very reasonable, but there was plenty of restaurants to choose from too. The Irish bars did Guinness although it was a bit dearer than home. Most bars have a happy hour too.

A friend is just back from Cyprus and he said the food and drink was very reasonable. Pints of their own brand beer was just 2 euro.  :)

mylestheslasher

Greek Islands are cheap and weather normally very good. Zychintos probably the best, crete the worst. Personally wouldn't go to Turkey due to their disgraceful human rights violations and their refusal to recognise the massacre of 1 million armenians by their army (but thats just me). For beer and craic Munich is a great city. At the right time of the year you can also get skiing near by too.

maddog

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 05, 2008, 12:53:17 PM
Greek Islands are cheap and weather normally very good. Zychintos probably the best, crete the worst. Personally wouldn't go to Turkey due to their disgraceful human rights violations and their refusal to recognise the massacre of 1 million armenians by their army (but thats just me). For beer and craic Munich is a great city. At the right time of the year you can also get skiing near by too.

So you'll go to Germany but not Turkey.

Arthur_Friend

The Germans put their hands up and admitted they may have been bad boys.

mylestheslasher

Precisely, Germany did wrong but at least they have admitted it and are deeply ashamed of it. Turkey on the other hand won't admit the horrors they have committed and will lock anyone up that dares suggest they are lying. Did you know a singer in Turkey is facing procesuction for stating that if she had a son she would not wish him to fight in the military - she could get 5 years in jail for saying that. Anyway, I'm just saying that this type of thing would put me of a trip there but might not register as a problem for others, that is your decision.

his holiness nb

I found the Turks of Kusadasi to be the freindliest, most helpful of all locals I've encountered on a european holiday.
Ask me holy bollix

mylestheslasher

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 05, 2008, 05:22:50 PM
I found the Turks of Kusadasi to be the freindliest, most helpful of all locals I've encountered on a european holiday.

I don't doubt it, but for me it doesn't take away from the fact that you can't pretend a genocide against the armenian people did not happen - when clearly it did. When they own up, apologise then we can all move forward.