Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

I think Mayweather wins by three clear rounds, as follows:

1) DLH couldn't hurt Mayweather and is bigger and stronger than Hatton. If DLH can't bully him neither will Hatton.
2) Hatton couldn't hurt Collazo in his only previous fight at welterweight.
3) Hatton faded badly down the stretch in the Collazo fight - I had him losing by at least three rounds and thought it was robbery.
4) Floyd is ALWAYS in tip top shape and definitely has the stamina I believe -  even though Hatton will be over him like a rash
5) Floyd is defensively brilliant on the inside with the way he tucks in his elbows and rolls the shoulders.
6) Looking at Hatton on the documentary last night, he looks about 10 yrs older than he is - he has very few fights left in him, and I wouldn't pay too much attention to him beating Castillo the way he did (awesome shot as it was)
7) Floyd is, quite simply, the most skilful boxer of the last 20 years - his amazing footwork and agility means he is rarely in trouble - he aint called the Pretty Boy for nothing - there is barely a mark on him after twenty years in the ring.

I want Floyd to win as I think he is just incredible. If he does and then beats Cotto, then I think he has the right to be called the best since Ali.

Rav67

Does anyone know a link to an online stream to see Felix Trinidad v Roy Jones Jr this weekend?

They're both shot fighters but because of this it could be a real slugfest, they're not going to have great stamina so I can't imagine that it will go the distance.

The Iceman

go to myp2p.eu

look for sopcast

you can watch a bunch of sporting events including soccer that is normally on sky
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

Happy as a pig in sh1te. Ticketmaster released more tickets for Andy Lee's fight in Limerick on the 2nd, and I managed to get 2 of them. I forgot about it when they initially went on sale.

Still no opponent named, but sure the undercard should be a bit of craic anyway.

Rav67

Quote from: The Iceman on January 17, 2008, 04:45:08 PM
go to myp2p.eu

look for sopcast

you can watch a bunch of sporting events including soccer that is normally on sky

Cheers, I just heard its on Setanta anyway after the Matt Skelton heavyweight title fight, so i'll be able to watch it on that

CiKe

would be very surprised to see anything other than a Jones Jr win. Tito was great to watch but was never a great boxer. His awesome power got him out of trouble on numerous occasions and he has been down on his arse many times. Jones has always fought at a heavier weight than Tito, has taken heavier punches and is naturally the bigger and stronger man, as well as being faster and more skilful. He has showed in his last couple of fights that he still has a bit to offer, and I would be surprised if it wasn't enough to stop Tito down the stretch

Rav67

Quote from: CiKe on January 18, 2008, 11:02:17 PM
would be very surprised to see anything other than a Jones Jr win. Tito was great to watch but was never a great boxer. His awesome power got him out of trouble on numerous occasions and he has been down on his arse many times. Jones has always fought at a heavier weight than Tito, has taken heavier punches and is naturally the bigger and stronger man, as well as being faster and more skilful. He has showed in his last couple of fights that he still has a bit to offer, and I would be surprised if it wasn't enough to stop Tito down the stretch

Would agree with that, Trinidad has hardly fought in the past couple of years and the weight step-up could be a big problem.  I hear RJJ is talking about trying to engineer a fight with Calzaghe if they both win their upcoming fights, I hope Calzaghe doesn't go for that simply to line his pockets.  If those 2 were going to fight they should have done it years ago.

Declan

Any thoughts on the Pavlick Taylor scrap at the weekend?

Rav67

I hope this is on Sky or Setanta does anyone know?  This will be a close one to call, I hope Pavlik wins as he's been lined up to fight John Duddy for a title fight in the spring (belts aren't on the line for this weekend's fight) and it would lose a lot of the glamour if Pavlik was to get beat by Taylor.  For a man whose beaten Hopkins twice, drew with Winky Wright and has only one defeat on his record Taylor has never really got huge credit he deserves though and I think he'll be really spurred on to get his revenge on Pavlik.

I see after Andy Lee's latest victory Emmanuel Steward said Lee was the best middleweight in the world at the minuute, that's big talk I look forward to the Limerick man getting a shot at one of these two hopefully later in the year or early 2009.

Declan

QuoteI hope this is on Sky or Setanta does anyone know?

Setanta it is.

Hope Pavlick does it as well - more that Duddy is next up for him. Strong words from Steward re Lee alright- Early next year for Andy I think - couple of more fights and then the title. Honestly think he has all the attributes necessary.

AZOffaly

The worry about Lee for me is that he seems to cut a bit easily. The Argentinian fella barely laid a glove on him, but he still cut him with a shot. I thought it was a clash of heads, but I think it was a right that did it. Also, Lee got cut in a clash with McKay.

Unless he can sort that out, and it's very hard to do anything about that, when he starts taking more punches against better fighters he will cut up.

DirtyDozen12

Seen in the Irish news yesterday that Hatton is calling out Mayweather for a rematch  :o  He says he wants to fight him at Manchester Citys home ground!!  Anyone here any confirmation of this? 
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

The Iceman

its on BBC boxing - he wants a rematch and has been in contact with Mayweather since the match.

Says that he wants to fight him but with a different ref - that the ref in their last fight made him afraid to get stuck in (or words to that effect).

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Yer Ma

The Taylor - Pavlik rematch should be a good one, though rematches seldom live up to the billing, particularly when one was pretty convincingly stopped the last time. However, Pavlik was nearly stopped in the second round last time and might be susceptible in the early rounds again. If Taylor learns to duck away from Pavlik's right hand, he could get a decision too.

Pavlik isn't fancy but he is strong as an ox - he's the favourite and rightly so, but if I had to stick a pound down I'd go for Taylor in an upset.

bridgegael

i dunno if i would have pavlik as favourite, taylor should have had him beat early in the fight.  he walked into a few of pavliks big punches and couldn stand up to them, i dont think he'll get caught like that again.  taylor to win in third round knockout.   if taylor does win, do you think they will fight for the belts in a third match??
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"