American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on December 18, 2017, 04:55:28 PM
The Pats lose to the Bills or the suspiciously decent Jets (both away divisional games) and the Steelers win out the potential AFC title game is still going to be in Pittsburgh. Lots of football to be played until the AFC game and more injuries are assured anyways. What looks obvious now won't in a month's time.

Can't see the Pats losing either of those. I could see them maybe getting turned over by someone daft like the Ravens in the AFC semi final. They own the Bills, but that game is in Foxborough, not Buffalo I think?. The Jets away might just be one, but it looks like the Jets don't have a QB at all now.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Syferus on December 18, 2017, 04:55:28 PM
The Pats lose to the Bills or the suspiciously decent Jets (both away divisional games) and the Steelers win out the potential AFC title game is still going to be in Pittsburgh. Lots of football to be played until the AFC game and more injuries are assured anyways. What looks obvious now won't in a month's time.

Pretty sure both those Pats games are at home

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

gallsman

Pats are done travelling until the Super Bowl.

Impossible to state just how significant that call was. If it doesn't Helen, the AFC goes through Pittsburgh. Even with Brown back, Steelers won't win in Foxborough.

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on December 18, 2017, 08:28:24 PM
Pats are done travelling until the Super Bowl.

Impossible to state just how significant that call was. If it doesn't Helen, the AFC goes through Pittsburgh. Even with Brown back, Steelers won't win in Foxborough.

They probably won't but I don't see it as a foregone conclusion, that Steelers D can do damage and upset Brady. 

Think the winner comes from the NFC
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

They can't stop Gronk though. Shazier was badly missed yesterday. Haden back will help them out.

Agree that the NFC team will win it. Foles is definitely good enough to manage the riches he has. Rams could ride Gurley the whole way but if he goes down they're done. Vikings my pick at this stage.

Therealdonald

The Jags are going to be playing the Pats in Foxboro and they're exactly the type of team Brady struggles with in January!!!Heard it here first guys.

magpie seanie

This is not a great Patriots team. They're very beatable. Their defence is terrible bar a decent secondary. If you just keep disciplined and take the easy 3-7 yards gains you'll make long, slow drives and keep Brady off the field. Their offence is very weakened without Edelman. Steelers left Sean Davis totally exposed against Gronk the last day which gave Brady the chick of light he needed and boy did he expose it. Remember the Bears beat Pittsburgh so it's not like they're unreal either. I'm pretty optimistic the Patriots don't win it this season.

Jags call is a good one. They are a truly excellent defence.

AZOffaly

I'm just not convinced by the Jags. They are in a bad position, and Blake Bortles is playing out of his mind at the moment. That can't continue surely. Then I saw a very poor Cardinals team handle them a few weeks ago. that's a CV stain right there.

gallsman

Bortles looked good at the weekend but there's no way he does that in Foxborough in January.

Crete Boom

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 19, 2017, 09:15:21 AM
I'm just not convinced by the Jags. They are in a bad position, and Blake Bortles is playing out of his mind at the moment. That can't continue surely. Then I saw a very poor Cardinals team handle them a few weeks ago. that's a CV stain right there.

The Bears made it all the way to the Superbowl with Rex" I can't throw an intermediate pass/checkdown unless it is an interception " Grossman under center!!

AZOffaly

That's true, it can happen. I just don't think it will here.

Clov

The interesting thing about Bortles is where he ends up next season. Bar this recent run of competence (behind a good running game and stellar defense) he has been a disappointment. If he keeps this up through the playoffs then he going to get paid in the off season. This reminds me a little of the Flacco contract year when they won the Superbowl. With hindsight that contract looks like a big mistake.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Syferus

Quote from: Clov on December 19, 2017, 05:34:55 PM
The interesting thing about Bortles is where he ends up next season. Bar this recent run of competence (behind a good running game and stellar defense) he has been a disappointment. If he keeps this up through the playoffs then he going to get paid in the off season. This reminds me a little of the Flacco contract year when they won the Superbowl. With hindsight that contract looks like a big mistake.

He's not going to get a contract. He's going to get tagged, unless he agrees to a long term deal that is below or around market value for a below average starter.

There's no Flacco style contract coming for him in the off-season.

Clov

We'll see.
If he wins a playoff game, or God forbid, brings the Jags to the Superbowl he could end up with a contract that would greatly outweigh his value going forward - hence the Flacco comparison.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"