Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Went to Star Wars tonight. Ponderous first hour, excellent second hour, middling finale. Decent overall.

HiMucker

The Mountain Between us.  Avoid

Syferus

Is there a better film for Christmas night than The Field?

It's amazing to think it got a lukewarm reception on release, it's an almost perfect story that's anchored by great performances by three all-time great actors. And the stark imagery of the western coast matches everything that's happening on screen perfectly.

"This is deep. Very deep. Deeper than you think."

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on December 26, 2017, 12:03:14 AM

It's amazing to think it got a lukewarm reception on release, it's an almost perfect story that's anchored by great performances by three all-time great actors. And the stark imagery of the western coast matches everything that's happening on screen perfectly.

No doubt it's a classic! But a bit lazy and cheap from RTE for Christmas Day viewing.

mrdeeds

Saw Brooklyn last night for first time. Surprisingly enjoyable. Ended kind of abruptly but very good overall.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: mrdeeds on December 26, 2017, 01:48:11 PM
Saw Brooklyn last night for first time. Surprisingly enjoyable. Ended kind of abruptly but very good overall.

First time i saw it also, a decent watch and similar to the story of my aunt that went to New York in the 50s. Could see why Saoirse Ronan was nominee for best actress and apparently she is favorite for Oscar in 2018 for her role in Lady Bird's.

laoislad

Yeah have to say I enjoyed it myself.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

longballin

The scene with yer man singing at the dinner for all the aul Irish men was powerful... some stories etched in their faces and is so true of people who emigrated to US and London and never got back. Great movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsqpmav5HE

Captain Obvious

Quote from: laoislad on December 26, 2017, 02:54:24 PM

Were you grumpy the first time you watched it?

Quote from: laoislad on March 05, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
Brooklyn. Meh boring as fcuk.Nothing actully happens in the film. Don't understand how it was nominated for best movie. 2/10

laoislad

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 26, 2017, 06:03:39 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 26, 2017, 02:54:24 PM

Were you grumpy the first time you watched it?

Quote from: laoislad on March 05, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
Brooklyn. Meh boring as fcuk.Nothing actully happens in the film. Don't understand how it was nominated for best movie. 2/10

Must have been. Maybe it was all the Black magic I had yesterday. Once you go black you never go back.

Main Street

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 26, 2017, 02:24:46 AM
Quote from: Syferus on December 26, 2017, 12:03:14 AM

No doubt it's a classic! But a bit lazy and cheap from RTE for Christmas Day viewing.
Overall, I thought the Irish channels' Christmas day schedules were excellent, fwiw, much better than the UK tv offerings.

The Iceman

Quote from: longballin on December 26, 2017, 03:47:41 PM
The scene with yer man singing at the dinner for all the aul Irish men was powerful... some stories etched in their faces and is so true of people who emigrated to US and London and never got back. Great movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsqpmav5HE
have to say that scene sat with me too - being away myself there was real raw emotion  - very well done by the director
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

screenexile

Is it sear-sha or sur-sha??

laoislad

National Lampoons Christmas Vaction on now. Always liked the National Lampoon films.
Always had a bit of thing for Beverly D'Angelo...