Rugby World Cup Squad

Started by ludermor, August 12, 2007, 03:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Irelands squad named
Ireland squad - forwards: N Best, R Best, S Best, S Easterby, S Ferris, J Flannery, J Hayes, M Horan, D Leamy, D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell, M O'Kelly, A Quinlan, F Sheahan, D Wallace, B Young.

Backs: I Boss, B Carney, G D'Arcy, G Dempsey, G Duffy, D Hickie, S Horgan, G Murphy, B O'Driscoll (cpt), R O'Gara, E Reddan, P Stringer, A Trimble, P Wallace

Mayo4Sam

Good to see Gavin Duffyin there
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Dinny Breen

No Jamie Heaslip, potentially the best natural number 8 in Ireland, definitely the wrong decision..

Hope Horgan recovers in time, a massive loss if he doesn't go..
#newbridgeornowhere

we are blue... etc

Obviously it goes without saying that one or two injuries to key players and we're well f#cked, however I feel we are seriously exposed in the second row in particular.....

Tankie

I cant see how Heaslip and Cullen are not in the team!
Grand Slam Saturday!

GalwayBayBoy

No major complaints with the squad. Heaslip is very unlucky I think. He should have gone in place of Ferris. The Ulster player is a fine prospect but Heaslip is further ahead in his development.

amallon

What sort of injury did Horgan pick up?  Any idea when we'll know the extent of the injury?  He'd be a massive loss to us.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Dinny Breen

Grade two tear to medial ligament. 4 - 6 weeks recovery. Would be surprised if he makes it...
#newbridgeornowhere

inisceithleann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 13, 2007, 09:27:12 AM
Grade two tear to medial ligament. 4 - 6 weeks recovery. Would be surprised if he makes it...

Worst thing Horgan can do is rush back. If he does it again it could be a seriously long lay off. Anyone suprised at Hickie's decision to retire after the World Cup? Very young at 31 to be giving up. Is it a case of 10 years at the top plus bad injuries taking its toll?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Tankie

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 13, 2007, 09:25:13 PM

Worst thing Horgan can do is rush back. If he does it again it could be a seriously long lay off. Anyone suprised at Hickie's decision to retire after the World Cup? Very young at 31 to be giving up. Is it a case of 10 years at the top plus bad injuries taking its toll?

I am not surprised with his descision to quit Ireland as i think more will follow but i am suprised he is quitting Leinster aswell, normally they would take another year or so just at provincial level. If he's fully retiring he must have something planned.
Grand Slam Saturday!

inisceithleann

Quote from: Tankie on August 13, 2007, 09:30:39 PM

I am not surprised with his descision to quit Ireland as i think more will follow but i am suprised he is quitting Leinster aswell, normally they would take another year or so just at provincial level. If he's fully retiring he must have something planned.
Quote from: Tankie on August 13, 2007, 09:30:39 PM

I suppose he just wanted to go out at the top, plus he is probably feeling the pressure on the wing with Trimble, Bowe and Luke Fitzgerald etc. being the future for the next world cup. I suppose we forget that lots of these rugby boys are university educated. Hickie must have business plans, no man would give up a lucrative career at such a young age without one.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Teeling Gael

Disappointed here too with the selection of the backrow. It has been obvious over last few seasons that EOS doesn't like Heaslip and I for one can't understand it. The balance in the backrow is wrong with essentially 3 No. 6's ( Best , Ferris and Quinlan) covering for Wallace and Leamy at 7 or 8 . I rate Ferris very highly but to ask a guy who doesn't play at 8 for his club team ( province) and has played there for barely 1/2 a match as a senior international to cover such a pivotial position, with Heaslip at home, is wrong in my view. I would have left Quinlan out because as a backrow Quinlan doesn't offer any thing that Best and Easterby dont offer already. In that case I would have brought T  Hogan leaving Carney at home changing the split to 17-13.

Slightly strange timing by D Hickie in announcing his retirement. In fairness he has been an excellent servant for Ireland but in my mind is slightly short of world class and i'd worry he may be exposed by All Blacks in a potential 1/4 final.