Setanta reception problems on sky dish

Started by Abble, August 11, 2007, 06:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abble

Was just sitting down looking forward to putting on the liverpool game there....next thing no reception for setanta sports channels.
anyone else having this problem ?

thebandit

Cloc Mor

My Sky is on the blink also.  Heavy rain.

clarshack

was in an hotel in cookstown yesterday and they had the same problem.

Main Street

Quote from: Abble on August 11, 2007, 06:22:24 PM
Was just sitting down looking forward to putting on the liverpool game there....next thing no reception for setanta sports channels.
anyone else having this problem ?
It's other satelite channels are alright and its just the Setanta which fades.?
I think Setanta use the Eurobird satelitte. It has a weaker signal and more susceptable to rain interference AND a dish not aligned properly.

You might not need a perfect dish alignment for the sky channels but you need it for the weaker signal that Setanta has.
A bit of rain and your fecked.
Do you have a sky digibox where you can check for signal strength?

Abble

thanks main street....
you sound like you're on the premises with that.

i had some alignment problems a while ago (after my dad knocked a ladder against the dish!)...i got the wee yoke from lidl that we amateurs can use to align the dish but obviously i don't have it fully 100% aligned....

i have the sky digibox, and signal strength is about 75% i think, (can't check it at the minute, in work >:()

i now need to make  decision as i couldn't be arsed with this weather upsetting my viewing anymore!
i no longer pay susbscription to sky....only paying setanta subscription.
HOWEVER i think its possible to get setanta through my built in freeview. so, as i currently don't have the booster aerial needed for my freeview, would i be best to get the freeview sorted, then no further problems ?

Main Street

Quote from: Abble on August 13, 2007, 08:03:46 AM
thanks main street....
you sound like you're on the premises with that.

i had some alignment problems a while ago (after my dad knocked a ladder against the dish!)...i got the wee yoke from lidl that we amateurs can use to align the dish but obviously i don't have it fully 100% aligned....

i have the sky digibox, and signal strength is about 75% i think, (can't check it at the minute, in work >:()

i now need to make  decision as i couldn't be arsed with this weather upsetting my viewing anymore!
i no longer pay susbscription to sky....only paying setanta subscription.
HOWEVER i think its possible to get setanta through my built in freeview. so, as i currently don't have the booster aerial needed for my freeview, would i be best to get the freeview sorted, then no further problems ?

Other than what Fionntamhnach soundly advises.

Next time it rains heavy enough to disturb a setanta signal then check the signal quality meter

0210 radio station has a weak signal and can affected by rain quite easily. Check that you can hear that clearly.

I think, Eurosport uk and cnbc uses the same satellite as Setanta, It would be interesting if you can see those but not Setanta.

If you are inspired
you can always try a test alignment without doing any adjustments.
Get up on yer ladder, have your dad holding it firmly at the bottom this time,  attach the meter to the lnb and put light pressure with your fingers on the dish in order to move it slightly up/ down/ left and right,  just to see if the meter registers any improvement.
If there is no improvement then what you have is the best you can get with your present size dish.

cavan4ever