Fuel for debate

Started by southdown, August 08, 2007, 02:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

Takne from BBC News:

Thousands of motorists in Northern Ireland could be buying contaminated fuel every day, a BBC Newsline investigation has found.
QuoteUp to six different substances, including heating oil and paint thinners, are being used in fuel, the BBC NI environment correspondent said.

Mike McKimm said nearly a third of all garages in NI sell phoney fuels, some unwittingly.

"It is a practice that has now spread to petrol sales," he said.

"The removal of the red dye from diesel and then passing it off as normal diesel used to be the only problem for motorists."

The illegal petrol can cause damage to people's cars, leaving them with expensive repair bills.

"At least one major fuel supplier here even has special security on its forecourts to prevent fuel fraud," Mr McKimm said.

So where should I be buying my diesel?  I generally buy from local garages, but maybe I'll start going to places like Texaco and Shell.

full back

Would go over the border to get it normally, if I couldnt be aresed then Sainsbury's.
Any word of the places selling the dodgy stuff?

southdown

I would go over the border too sometimes, but some of those places around Omeath look a bit questionable too

Square Ball

Who is the major retailer?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ziggysego

Quote from: full back on August 08, 2007, 02:25:53 PM
Any word of the places selling the dodgy stuff?

Apparently 1 in 3 places!
Testing Accessibility

EC Unique

Hard to beat a bit of red or green :D At least it sould not have been tampered with.  ;)

Deal_Me_In

I wonder if you were caught using red and were brought in fromt of the court because you refused to pay fines etc. could you use the excuse that having read reports that 1 in 3 places are usig fraudulant fuel, even unwittingly, you were afraid that you may be using this and causing damage to your engine but by using red you were sure that there were no adverse effects to your car?

EC Unique

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on August 08, 2007, 02:47:04 PM
I wonder if you were caught using red and were brought in fromt of the court because you refused to pay fines etc. could you use the excuse that having read reports that 1 in 3 places are usig fraudulant fuel, even unwittingly, you were afraid that you may be using this and causing damage to your engine but by using red you were sure that there were no adverse effects to your car?

I don't really care. If you add it up all you have to do is get away with 10 tank fulls and you have saved the price of the fine so any thing else is a bonus ;D

ziggysego

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on August 08, 2007, 02:47:04 PM

Try it out and tell us how you got on.
Testing Accessibility

Long time dead

In a previous job I had a company car and a shell card - I filled up in the shell station on Newry Road in Armagh and it wrecked my engine as it was dirty petrol - think my company got the money back but a disgrace that such a major player could stock such shite.

Jim_Murphy_74

Look,

A bit of acid corrosion in your engines is a small price you pay for Slab and the boys delivering an Ireland of Equals.

Get on with.

/Jim.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on August 08, 2007, 03:18:49 PM
Look,
A bit of acid corrosion in your engines is a small price you pay for Slab and the boys delivering an Ireland of Equals.
Get on with.
/Jim.
slab and his local friends were more interested in lining their pockets. It was left to others to dleiver the Ireland of equals.
Too many like slab masqueraded under the pretence.

Hereiam

Was using red & green for about 5 years and was dipped once but luck was on my side that and got away with it. I am seriously considering going back on the red.

inisceithleann

I'd usually get petrol in Blacklion in Cavan as do most people in Enniskillen, so hopefully i've avoided the problem. But sure things are probably the same in the south.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Tony Baloney

You get shitty diesel in unexpected places not just the border areas. I think a few years back the Jet garage on the Shore Road was busted for supplying dodgy diesel. Although a lot of these places are big names like Texaco etc. they are still franchised so I'm sure the franchisee could still make an easy shilling at the dodgy stuff!