Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

I thought he was decent going forward but they did highlight some poor play after the match.

magpie seanie

He does some really great things at times but his concentration and workrate are very, very poor. This is pretty much every match and it's obvious if you look for it. You shouldn't need Souness and Lennon to point it out. He also gives the ball away an awful lot. Mourinho obviously thinks it's worth it but I just don't understand why the bad parts of his game can't be improved. Rashford and Martial had to improve that aspect of their games. Why is this guy so special? It's a team game. It stuns me the free pass he gets. Like last week Rashford makes a 60 yard sprint (passing Pogba on the way) to get to the back post and nod the ball down for Pogba to tap in - all the commentators were raving about Pogba's run to get in on the end of it! Are they blind???!!!!!

At least he wasn't captain last night.

Milltown Row2

He's had a difficult first season back with the pressure of the transfer fee and so on, this season has been a marked success and that is down Matic holding midfield like he does (one of Jose's best buy's) Ronaldo didnt track back that much when at Utd if i can remember right, he'd other roles do do within the set up of the tea. Next season he should hopefully develop further and do more tracking back but you cant say he hasnt improved on last year with the potential of being a huge player for Utd
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OgraAnDun

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 06, 2017, 08:45:17 AM
He does some really great things at times but his concentration and workrate are very, very poor. This is pretty much every match and it's obvious if you look for it. You shouldn't need Souness and Lennon to point it out. He also gives the ball away an awful lot. Mourinho obviously thinks it's worth it but I just don't understand why the bad parts of his game can't be improved. Rashford and Martial had to improve that aspect of their games. Why is this guy so special? It's a team game. It stuns me the free pass he gets. Like last week Rashford makes a 60 yard sprint (passing Pogba on the way) to get to the back post and nod the ball down for Pogba to tap in - all the commentators were raving about Pogba's run to get in on the end of it! Are they blind???!!!!!

Maybe behind the scenes he is being made to work on it, but he's too important a player for united to take him off while that is in progress. I've barely seen United play this year but from everything I've read, they struggle without him. I think any chance of beating City evaporated with his red card at the weekend but you can only live in hope.

NAG1

What about the ball on to Lukaku's toe for the goal. I think in these games where it isnt on the line he can be wasteful.

But it has to be said since his return he has been in good form, real pity about the suspension. He has improved from last season and looking fprward to seeing him progress through the season.

magpie seanie

Quote from: NAG1 on December 06, 2017, 09:11:33 AM

What about the ball on to Lukaku's toe for the goal. I think in these games where it isnt on the line he can be wasteful.

But it has to be said since his return he has been in good form, real pity about the suspension. He has improved from last season and looking fprward to seeing him progress through the season.

It was sublime but I have already acknowledged the does some brilliant stuff. I just get frustrated that he doesn't do the easy stuff and is as careless as he is at times. Against the really top sides you'll get found out for that and it's frustrating because no talent is needed to work hard and concentrate.

NAG1

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 06, 2017, 03:56:08 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on December 06, 2017, 09:11:33 AM

It was sublime but I have already acknowledged the does some brilliant stuff. I just get frustrated that he doesn't do the easy stuff and is as careless as he is at times. Against the really top sides you'll get found out for that and it's frustrating because no talent is needed to work hard and concentrate.

Yeah and I am with you on that, but I think he has cleaned this element up in the games that count, more to do but definitley has improved from last year.

And to be fair to him Matic has given him the freedom to try a few more things knowing he has that protection.

Maroon Manc

That is very harsh, there's a clear correlation between Pogba in the team and United doing well and when he was injured our results and performances suffer. He certainly has aspects of his game he can improve on mainly his lack if concentration when players drift in behind him and his decision making the odd time, there's no reason he can't improve on both and when he does he'll be one of the top players in the game.

Going forward his passing and vision is fantastic and a lot better than I was expecting, in every game he has produced a moment of brilliance to create a chance and in most games he's done it several times. He's 6'3 and his footwork is probably on a par with someone like Mata, you're been really unfair on him as he's our most important outfield player.

The positives in his game far outweigh the negatives, there's few central midfielders who are capable as playing in a 2 with his ability, he's already one of the best players of his type and once Mourinho improves those aspects of his game he'll be some player.

TabClear

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 07, 2017, 01:37:45 PM

That is very harsh, there's a clear correlation between Pogba in the team and United doing well and when he was injured our results and performances suffer. He certainly has aspects of his game he can improve on mainly his lack if concentration when players drift in behind him and his decision making the odd time, there's no reason he can't improve on both and when he does he'll be one of the top players in the game.

Going forward his passing and vision is fantastic and a lot better than I was expecting, in every game he has produced a moment of brilliance to create a chance and in most games he's done it several times. He's 6'3 and his footwork is probably on a par with someone like Mata, you're been really unfair on him as he's our most important outfield player.

The positives in his game far outweigh the negatives, there's few central midfielders who are capable as playing in a 2 with his ability, he's already one of the best players of his type and once Mourinho improves those aspects of his game he'll be some player.

Must be great to have the luxury of paying a  World record fee for a development prospect.

Boycey

He's hardly a development prospect but he's at an age where he's still open to improvement possibly down to increased maturity and understanding the game better with age. Hazard and De Bruyne have both turned from really good players at 24 to monsters at 26..

He does lack a bit of concentration at times but I think the lazy jibe is unfair.

TabClear

Quote from: Boycey on December 07, 2017, 03:21:25 PM
He's hardly a development prospect but he's at an age where he's still open to improvement possibly down to increased maturity and understanding the game better with age. Hazard and De Bruyne have both turned from really good players at 24 to monsters at 26..

He does lack a bit of concentration at times but I think the lazy jibe is unfair.

Not disputing players can improve but I just think that if you pay  world record fee you expect the full package. I think he is an immense talent and can do things very few other players can but I would be more aligned to Seanie's view that his attitude is poor. Its always been a bug bear of mine where players dont put the effort in, the so called luxury player. Its not just in the big leagues, still annoys me watching reserve club games where you have some guys strolling about when other, (generally less talented) players are busting themselves.

I think Pogba will be vital to United but I dont think he will ever attract the same level of iconic status as the likes of Keane/Giggs. I will always have a soft spot for him for riling Ferguson and costing the Glazers a few months dividends to buy  him back.  ;)

Boycey

Quote from: TabClear on December 07, 2017, 04:11:19 PM
Quote from: Boycey on December 07, 2017, 03:21:25 PM

Not disputing players can improve but I just think that if you pay  world record fee you expect the full package. I think he is an immense talent and can do things very few other players can but I would be more aligned to Seanie's view that his attitude is poor. Its always been a bug bear of mine where players dont put the effort in, the so called luxury player. Its not just in the big leagues, still annoys me watching reserve club games where you have some guys strolling about when other, (generally less talented) players are busting themselves.

I think Pogba will be vital to United but I dont think he will ever attract the same level of iconic status as the likes of Keane/Giggs. I will always have a soft spot for him for riling Ferguson and costing the Glazers a few months dividends to buy  him back.  ;)

Like I said in the last post I don't think he's lazy, having a languid style and easygoing showman nature on and off the field doesn't make him lazy but will make it easy for 'lazy' tv pundits to label him that. Heedless at times maybe, funny Gerrard was talking about it the other night on BT and he said that was something that was levelled at him for most of his career. I think Pogba was actually guilty in his 1st season of trying too hard at times and not doing the simple things well.
Roy Keane was bought at roughly the same age as Pogba for a then British record fee and I'd say it took him til his 3rd season in 95/96 to become the colossus he was for about 4/5 seasons after that.

The fee paid for him is a symptom of the times more than anything else. Its now less than half the world record fee. Add to that such transfers as City paying £150mil for 3 full backs in the one window, Liverpool seemingly willing to pay Southampton £60m for a centre back, Everton paid £45 mil for Sygerson. I could go on, the worlds gone mad

Over the Bar

Ronaldo still raves about the development structure at United being the best he's ever seen then or since and credits it with his own rapid development.   Is it still in place to make the most of  Lukaku's potential?

GJL

Manchester United's possible Champions League last 16 opponents:

Real Madrid
Bayern Munich
Juventus
Porto
Shakhtar
Sevilla

Quite a variation!

stew

Quote from: Over the Bar on December 07, 2017, 11:04:20 PM
Ronaldo still raves about the development structure at United being the best he's ever seen then or since and credits it with his own rapid development.   Is it still in place to make the most of  Lukaku's potential?

Nope!

Moyes the moron got rid of the top trainers in the club, you know, the men who trained the class of 82 and who won all round them with a bunch of his Everton cronies who had won the sum total of .......................................Nada.

The academy coaching by all accounts is still very strong but not what it was when Phelan and co were in charge of training.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.