Dunphy - gone from RTE

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, July 25, 2018, 02:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

More recently he was a staunch promoter of Wes Hoolahan as the man to turn the boys in green into something special. As if anyone could. The state of the team is shite.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Baile Brigín 2

His enduring legacy is all sports pundits on RTE have to be controversial. Great craic if you didnt take him seriously

ONeill

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 06:47:50 PM
His enduring legacy is all sports pundits on RTE have to be controversial. Great craic if you didnt take him seriously

Same as Brolly. A bit like watching Knight Rider.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trailer

He was box office. He was a shite player and an even worse pundit but he fairly wound the soccer heads up. His championing of Wes Houlihan was hilarious like the guy was Messi or something.

ONeill

The whole Ronaldo stuff was more amusing.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on July 25, 2018, 09:38:44 PM

He was bang on about Stevie G though!

J70

Another good one was on Cantona on a poor mid-90s European night for United when he called him "the big man for the little occasion".  ;D

sid waddell

Quote from: AQMP on July 25, 2018, 05:55:59 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on July 25, 2018, 05:52:48 PM
http://www.dangerhere.com/eamon-dunphy/
😂😂

He was right about Gerrard!

Quote from: screenexile on July 25, 2018, 10:16:33 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 25, 2018, 09:38:44 PM

He was bang on about Stevie G though!

Gerrard had the European Cup in his hands about 100 minutes later, having led the most famous fightback in the history of the sport.

Wildweasel74

Never got over saying Ronaldo will be found out, am still waiting lol

The Subbie

I'm gonna miss the aul  bluffer , his podcast is good, not a great podcast, but a good podcast  ;D

What I have found interesting about Eamo is the conversion he has made from late 90's early 00's Sunday Indo journo/ Establishment lackey to now where he is firmly and trenchantly anti establishment and fully left of centre.

Rufus T Firefly

The end of an era for me. I remember us getting RTE in. It coincided with the European Championships of 1984, when BBC and ITV largely chose to ignore it.  I couldn't wait to see Dunphy and Giles in action on a regular basis. I recall that he had a dislike for Platini, and I remember him crowing that Platini had been 'found out' despite the fact that they eventually overcome Portugal in a semi-final thriller. The fact that Platini strode that competition like a colossus, scoring a huge number of goals from midfield, in no way dented Dunphy's convictions. He's been great entertainment though and there's a real feeling of the end of an era, but I sensed myself watching him during the most recent World Cup that his time was up.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 26, 2018, 12:56:57 AM
Never got over saying Ronaldo will be found out, am still waiting lol

He's admitted he was wrong about that.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2018, 06:35:45 PM
More recently he was a staunch promoter of Wes Hoolahan as the man to turn the boys in green into something special. As if anyone could. The state of the team is shite.

And before that it was Andy Reid, the guitar playing chip eater.

tiempo

Quote from: The Subbie on July 26, 2018, 05:32:54 AM
I'm gonna miss the aul  bluffer , his podcast is good, not a great podcast, but a good podcast  ;D

What I have found interesting about Eamo is the conversion he has made from late 90's early 00's Sunday Indo journo/ Establishment lackey to now where he is firmly and trenchantly anti establishment and fully left of centre.

Yeh it can be very decent at times, when he's annoying just turn it off but when he's good its very listenable. Football stuff with the lads can be pretty light hearted at times, funny how far up Gilesy's hole he is. Updates on Trump with Niall Stanage fairly good. Think Eamon has a bit of admiration for Trump too, he's not all leftie.