Investments

Started by illdecide, December 11, 2017, 03:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

anyone manage to sell a bitcoin in the past month as opposed to hearing how much its worth. can you realise the value of it ??

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Orchard park on December 14, 2017, 03:53:09 PM
anyone manage to sell a bitcoin in the past month as opposed to hearing how much its worth. can you realise the value of it ??

If the price is going up, it's because demand currently outstrips supply and therefore nobody should have a problem selling at a good price unless they flood the market. Unless there are some sort of regulatory restrictions on selling, which I do not believe there are.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 13, 2017, 10:09:25 PM
I suppose it's knowing when the bubble will burst! As much of a low key gambler I am I wouldn't gamble on the stocks as I've absolutely no experience or time to invest in something and those sites take hefty fees which reduces your profits

Maybe in ten years, once mortgage is paid off and kids are married off I'll dabble as I like the idea of it but I'm glad my wife has the sense

Best way to deal with stocks is to contribute to a mutual fund and start early. Let time do the work. I started contributing to a 401k (employer-based retirement stock portfolio, all tax deferred) as soon as I was eligible to enrol, which was in my twenties. It's been doing very nicely. The market will hit a few bumps here and there but over time it'll show a steady increase. My portfolio was quite aggressive but now that I'm a bit older I plan to dial it down a bit to something a bit more conservative with a lower but surer return.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Orchard park on December 14, 2017, 03:53:09 PM

Article here about how liquid they are. Apparently it's getting easier to sell as it becomes more accepted.

gallsman

In theory it's easier to sell.

In reality, the network and the exchanges are struggling with the weight of new traffic.

There's a huge backlog of transactions at the minute on bitcoin and the fees the miners are charging to process them are sky high.

LeoMc

gallsman

Rebounding massively at the minute. My portfolio went down almost 50% in the last day and had now almost completely recovered. A big correction wax needed after the massive increases recently.

Mickey Linden

Quote from: Mickey Linden on December 11, 2017, 05:18:39 PM
Go up to Tommy Frenchs and put all the money you can afford on Dublin to win the All Ireland in 2018 at 11/10. They simply wont be beat. Granted you will have to wait 9 months for your return but nothing on the stock market offers anywhere near the same ROI.

Bump. 1/2 next year. 50% ROI

Milltown Row2

Anyone, outside of the crypto currency stuff, made any decent investments lately? I reckon I've  3 years before I can possibly have a look at it seriously but wouldn't mind dipping my toe into some venture, low risk of course..

Those that invested in Dublin winning the All Ireland every year (see previous post) well done  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

I've been pretty terrible at investments literally found out about the lifetime ISA when I was 39 so just started contributing to that then and have my pension which is very small.2

I've seen bits and pieces of different things saying you should be investing a few hundred every month to a safe index with a return of 6-8% per year then in 30 years you should have a nice lump sum but haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet.

Crypto I've looked at but it scares the bejaysus out of me it might be the next big thing but it's not there yet and I'm not risking it at the minute. Also with NFTs I think they will probably become a thing but they'll take longer than Crypto to really start to work and I hate the idea of them anyway.

Would be interested to hear what others have done or are doing that could turn a few pounds. By and large there's a fairly savvy group of like minded people in here which could help as opposed to the bolloxogy you can get online!

trailer

I have a pension that I contribute a fair chunk to every month.
I made a few quid at Crypto but this last year has been terrible and I am down prob 2k. I just have to hold until the next run.
I bought some art recently. I know nothing about it and haven't even seen it. So we'll see. I am told its a 30% ROI.

LeoMc

Gold has been fairly decent the past 10 years but over the longer term, meh.

Milltown Row2

What about investments into small businesses? Would someone go down that road? Investment with a share of the company?

I remember being interested in buying into a previous employers business (thank fuvk I didn't in the end) but I remember having a meeting with this financial company and showing the profits this venture would make and so on, he came back with a proposal of a hidden backer who would provide half of what I needed providing I got the other half..

The business at the time was pretty good but would always have needed to be moving with the times, this wasn't happening so I left.

What I'm saying is there a network small business or something that look for investment with a percentage given based on what you invest? Dragons den type
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Started taking an interest in this stuff during Covid times when I had more free time, previously had never even considered any of it.

If its for the long term, then pension is the best most secure investment where the government effectively gives you 25% free money plus you get your ROI. My own view is that we are in for a recession over the next few years so stock markets could well be down for a while, however its not a good strategy to try and predict these things.

After bemoaning Crypto for a long time I bought a small bit last year but it is more for the longer term unless it takes a massive spike upwards in which case I'll sell. I'd only invest a small amount in this that I can afford to lose, view it a bit like doing the lotto.

Property is overcooked at the minute as prices are almost back at pre financial crisis levels and interest rates are on the rise. Its a sellers market at the minute and I expect prices will inevitably fall as household income is falling and will continue to do so as inflation and interest rates rise simultaneously. By the Autumn time I think this will become more obvious.

Don't know much about these NFT's, I would be interested to learn about these.

So in summary I think the best thing you can do is to back Kerry and Limerick to win the AI titles and get a 220% return on your money!     

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/53358427-a244-4a1c-9ab6-3706f7ebda6c

This underlines two growing threats to the   Fed. The first is that it might be forced to1 induce a US recession with far higher interest rate increases than it now anticipates. The Fed's last dot plot predicts a 1.9 per cent rate by the end of this year. Last week Deutsche Bank predicted the Fed would have to lift that rate to 5 or 6 per cent to tame inflation.

If Irish rates go to 6% , house prices will collapse. So will pension funds.

Gold is worth a look
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU