50th Birthday

Started by Boycey, December 03, 2017, 11:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Boycey on December 05, 2017, 06:42:55 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 05, 2017, 05:43:43 PM
Is milestone birthdays the big thing now? People spending senseless amounts of money then struggling to pay the bills when they get home?

Without trying to sound like a killjoy, the country seems obsessed with having a big piss up for any occasion, from the buying of a new pair of wellies to celebrating the cat's birthday.

Have I mentioned a piss up anywhere?

I'm not a big drinker plus I certainly won't be putting myself in the poorhouse over a Birthday bash but I quite fancy doing something to mark the occasion. We'll probably have a nice family trip too, when my other half was 50 a couple of years back we went to Hong Kong somewhere we'd never been and were unlikely to ever have gone otherwise.

A couple of things have happened in my life over the last couple of years to make me realise that life is short enough so enjoy while you can in my motto..

True, you didn't. But other potential piss ups were mentioned.

Life is short. Just my point was the potential of people going above budget doing this sort of thing.

bennydorano

Wife has been telling me for years we're going to Hawaii for our 25th Wedding Anniversary, always seemed a lifetime away, into single digits now.

Gmac

Quote from: Boycey on December 05, 2017, 06:42:55 PM
Is milestone birthdays the big thing now? People spending senseless amounts of money then struggling to pay the bills when they get home?

Without trying to sound like a killjoy, the country seems obsessed with having a big piss up for any occasion, from the buying of a new pair of wellies to celebrating the cat's birthday.

Have I mentioned a piss up anywhere?

I'm not a big drinker plus I certainly won't be putting myself in the poorhouse over a Birthday bash but I quite fancy doing something to mark the occasion. We'll probably have a nice family trip too, when my other half was 50 a couple of years back we went to Hong Kong somewhere we'd never been and were unlikely to ever have gone otherwise.

A couple of things have happened in my life over the last couple of years to make me realise that life is short enough so enjoy while you can in my motto..
vegas is a great place to go .see a show always great performers there ,get helicopter out to Hoover dam, do some gambling for a night ,great restaurants and of course hit crazy horse for an hour or 2 one night .3/4 days is plenty of time there and the weather is always pretty good . Lots of oddities and car shows etc always on

Milltown Row2

You're a killjoy, who's struggling to pay the bills? If someone wants to do something special to celebrate then grand, grinch!

In the same token, anyone not able to pay for something and struggling to pay the bills will do something to within their budget? Pub curry drinks! 40 milestone was huge party back at mine with friends old and new! Was a blast, though I was looking for Vegas tickets!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Correct Bennydorano. Hawaii island of Kauai is hard to beat, the little bay on the edge of the Marriott hotel there is hard to beat. We were there on honeymoon..always promised ourselves we would go back sometime.

imtommygunn

Bennycake do you not know Mr is rich. Sure when brexit kicks in he will open his own money lending business he'll be that rich compared to everyone else :D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 06, 2017, 07:25:40 AM
Bennycake do you not know Mr is rich. Sure when brexit kicks in he will open his own money lending business he'll be that rich compared to everyone else :D

Rich in many ways, not money wise though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

omaghjoe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2017, 07:33:00 AM

Rich enough to go mountaineering in Nepal  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 06, 2017, 07:59:43 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2017, 07:33:00 AM

Rich enough to go mountaineering in Nepal  ;)

Well, it would be a one off...

AZOffaly

One off? Jaysus that's harsh. How do you pick who has to jump off?

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 05, 2017, 10:19:14 PM

You're a killjoy, who's struggling to pay the bills? If someone wants to do something special to celebrate then grand, grinch!

In the same token, anyone not able to pay for something and struggling to pay the bills will do something to within their budget? Pub curry drinks! 40 milestone was huge party back at mine with friends old and new! Was a blast, though I was looking for Vegas tickets!

Yeah I've no problems with that. But we all know the times we live in. I see it quite a lot, people doing things ott and putting themselves out doing a big bash, trip or xmas. There's a pressure on people to keep up, especially at Xmas. Plus we have this Facebook thing, people seem to feel the need to make their lives more interesting than everybody else, even if that means spending money they don't really have. So, that's what I was getting at.

Milltown Row2

yeah, and it was the spending and banks allowing people to have all this credit that helped bring the place down in the first place!

But 50 is the new 40! and with 20 years more work left in ya, you'll be able to apy it off  :o

Boycey

There's a certain truth to what Benny says, people do tend to go for the big show off displays nowadays...

From my perspective there'll be no party, I run a mile at the thought of being the centre of attention. I would like to do something out of the ordinary to mark the occasion though and I thought where better to ask than on an anonymous Internet forum for suggestions.

redzone

If u want something out of the ordinary then The Burning Man festival might be it in the Nevada desert. Go for it

Boycey

Quote from: redzone on December 07, 2017, 09:26:05 PM
If u want something out of the ordinary then The Burning Man festival might be it in the Nevada desert. Go for it

Now we're getting places I'm not sure it's exactly me but it's the kind of unusual idea I was hoping to get.

I had to google it by the way https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=81MyL3YDVUk