Ireland's Greatest Sporting Moment RTE 2

Started by BennyCake, November 09, 2017, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

I detest how people think that soccer started in Ireland in the late 80's. As if there were not incredible results got by teams Managed by Touhy, Giles and Hand.

Also the GAA curtailed the development of International games especially in rural areas. One of the most sectarian organisations up to 1971.

laoislad

Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2017, 10:43:01 PM
Ronnie Whelan's goal against the Soviet Union was better. I'd say impossible to decide between  Houghton and Darby.
Whelans goal was in a a 1-1 draw v Russia.
Houghton scored Ireland's first ever goal in a major championship and it was against England. It's a vote on Ireland's greatest sporting moment not how good or not a goal was

Darbys goal was great for Offaly, it's nowhere near Ireland's Greatest sporting moment ever. Ridiculous even having it as part of the vote.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

longballin

Quote from: laoislad on November 09, 2017, 10:34:42 PM
Quote from: longballin on November 09, 2017, 10:23:38 PM
Seamus Darby by a mile.
How can that be Ireland's Greatest Sporting moment. Shouldn't even be in the list imo.

Houghton moment a deserved and obvious winner.

It was an incredible moment shook the world man. Houghton isnt even from Ireland ffs!

From the Bunker

Quote from: longballin on November 09, 2017, 10:47:45 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 09, 2017, 10:34:42 PM
Quote from: longballin on November 09, 2017, 10:23:38 PM
Seamus Darby by a mile.
How can that be Ireland's Greatest Sporting moment. Shouldn't even be in the list imo.

Houghton moment a deserved and obvious winner.

It was an incredible moment shook the world man. Houghton isnt even from Ireland ffs!

His dad was though!

seafoid

OlliE Campbell and Alex Higgins kept the flag flying.
John Fenton's goal v Limerick
Noel Mannion's try v Wales
Mayo winning a match in Croke Park in 89

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macdanger2

Quote from: laoislad on November 09, 2017, 10:47:04 PM
Ronnie Whelan's goal against the Soviet Union was better. I'd say impossible to decide between  Houghton and Darby.
Houghton scored Ireland's first ever goal in a major championship and it was against England. It's a vote on Ireland's greatest sporting moment not how good or not a goal was

Darbys goal was great for Offaly, it's nowhere near Ireland's Greatest sporting moment ever. Ridiculous even having it as part of the vote.

Perhaps not Ireland's greatest moment but certainly one of the most iconic sporting memories of the 80s

laoislad

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 09, 2017, 10:50:21 PM

Perhaps not Ireland's greatest moment but certainly one of the most iconic sporting memories of the 80s
True,but the show is called Ireland's Greatest sporting moment.
If there is ever a show called Iconic moments in Irish sport then it could be right up there as a contender!

seafoid

England were disorganised. They were shite.
The Soviet Union were one of the best teams in the tournament. And Ireland played really well. They could have won it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

'Moment' is the key word. Taylor and Darby in that case. Especially Taylor, no moment like that.

longballin

laoislad

Syferus

Quote from: laoislad on November 09, 2017, 10:36:05 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 10:23:45 PM
Roche's is definitely the greatest achievement, if not the greatest moment.
Michelle Smith should be the '90s winner so if that's the case.

Show me a rider who wasn't doping. Show me one in the 90s or 00s who didn't, actually. To compete you had to.

So if you want to make the case he's a cheat you'll have to show me the world class cyclists he was up against who didn't because there was few if any that haven't been implicated or rumours spread about. I think it's pretty obvious now that doping in that sport has been so prevalent that you have to have some perspective when judging achievements.

The Tour de France remains one of the greatest physical and mental challenges in existence and an Irish winner of it will always stand above most other achievements.

Roche was a legendary cyclist while Smith was someone who came out of nowhere and went back to nowhere after 96. Swimming is full of dopers too, but that's a story for another day. I'd say fair fûcks to her, but a few laps of a pool doesn't eclipse what Roche did.

dec

BennyCake

1990's moments -

O'Leary penalty
Clare hurlers 95
Clare footballers 92
Alan McLoughlin goal
Donegal/Derry winning Sam
Maurice Fitz 97 final
Houghton again 94
Michelle Smith golds

SHEEDY

Quote from: BennyCake on November 09, 2017, 11:01:32 PM
1990's moments -

O'Leary penalty
Clare hurlers 95
Clare footballers 92
Alan McLoughlin goal
Donegal/Derry winning Sam
Maurice Fitz 97 final
Houghton again 94
Michelle Smith golds
Down beating the team that couldn't be beaten 91 AI final.
nil satis nisi optimum