Ireland's Greatest Sporting Moment RTE 2

Started by BennyCake, November 09, 2017, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

I am a sunshine Ireland Rugby supporter. I like to see us win. I'm happy when we win. I want us every year to win the Triple Crown, 6 Nations or Grand Slam. I'm not a die hard supporter.

It will never have the same feeling for me as the National Soccer team or more importantly my home county in Gaelic football. But I would still take pride in any Irish Rugby achievement.

Rugby is hyped to the hill by the D4 crew in RTE, but that does not give me a reason to despise or belittle it. There are great, passionate people who give their free time for like sports like rugby who deserve recognition for their efforts.

As for it's National and International popularity of the game. One can only dance with the Girls in the Hall. And as GAA people we should more so realise this.

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 02, 2017, 12:18:08 PM
I am a sunshine Ireland Rugby supporter. I like to see us win. I'm happy when we win. I want us every year to win the Triple Crown, 6 Nations or Grand Slam. I'm not a die hard supporter.

It will never have the same feeling for me as the National Soccer team or more importantly my home county in Gaelic football. But I would still take pride in any Irish Rugby achievement.

Rugby is hyped to the hill by the D4 crew in RTE, but that does not give me a reason to despise or belittle it. There are great, passionate people who give their free time for like sports like rugby who deserve recognition for their efforts.

As for it's National and International popularity of the game. One can only dance with the Girls in the Hall. And as GAA people we should more so realise this.

That's not why I despise it. I despise it because it is a bloody stupid game.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 02, 2017, 10:26:40 AM
Is boxing big? Are many people involved in it relative to soccer or G.A.A? Should that reduce the significance of Michael Carruth's gold medal?

Again, I don't see why the reason a sport is so popular should take away from the achievement.

I boxed when I was younger, there was a boxing club in the community and most lads my age gave it a crack at some stage. I'm not sure about down the South but boxing clubs are very prominent in nationalist communities around the O6.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: BennyCake on December 02, 2017, 01:52:47 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 02, 2017, 12:18:08 PM

That's not why I despise it. I despise it because it is a bloody stupid game.

+1

A game where a ball is passed to a teammate who deliberately kicks it out of play followed by delirious cheering.

Odd.

imtommygunn

If you broke most sports down to basic principles, if not all sports, they sound stupid.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 02, 2017, 01:57:56 PM
If you broke most sports down to basic principles, if not all sports, they sound stupid.

Not really.

Rugby is another level of stupidity.

Take the scrum and lineouts for ridiculous restart methods to a game in isolation.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 02, 2017, 08:29:01 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 01, 2017, 08:53:33 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on December 01, 2017, 03:42:59 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on December 01, 2017, 02:38:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 01, 2017, 12:22:21 PM
The Grand Slam was easily the sporting moment of the 00s. Not even close.

Grand slam? Beating 5 other teams in a non-world event?? Get a grip. Harrington was the correct choice.f**king egg chasers is right. They beat 3/4 of a New Zealand team last year in a FRIENDLY and the country was in meltdown. They get far too much hype whereas Harrington didn't get enough
In Euro 88, Holland had five games in a non-world event, didn't even win them all and still were champions. Still, I'm sure they had a better sporting achievement that year too.

But football is a global sport, it survives by itself due to its global appeal.

Scoring a last minute equaliser against one of football's superpowers in the dying minutes of a group game at a World Cup may seem trivial but when you view it in its context it's a whole lot more than winning an annual 6 team tournament in a sport where only about 8 countries take semi-seriously.

If truth be told the Irish team are one massive set of over-hyped, under achieving fun boys. They've never been past the last 8 in the World Cup in a sport only 8 teams take seriously. They're the only one of the 8 sides that take it seriously that have never been in the last 4 of a World Cup.

It's popularity in this country is more to do with its social outing culture and the increased chance of success given the small competition pool, there's a disproportionate amount of women at rugby matches compared to other sports. Most lads who attend rugby matches these days have never played an organised game of rugby in their life, that's an odd association with the game.
Just to be clear, I have virtually no interest in rugby but I can appreciate the skill in the game. I don't care why it's popular but it is. If people love it as a spectator sport and aren't involved in the game at any level then so be it.

Ireland have competed in the five/six nations for a long time. It's a tough competition as I suspect that it contains six of the top ten teams in the World in it. Winning the grand slam in it is a great achievement. If it wasn't it would have been done more recently than it was.

I don't see how Keane's goal can be considered anywhere close to it. We didn't see Quinn's equaliser against Holland in 1990s contest and it seems to be pretty much the same achievement. Does Ireland's draw with Russia in '88 gain much attention apart from the fantastic goal? I don't think so because it was a draw, in a group game which ultimately achieved nothing.

You say the Six Nations is contains six of the top ten teams in the world?

Only 8 countries take rugby anywhere remotely seriously so when you're one of those teams it's not in anyway difficult to be competing at the top end. Ireland winning the 6 nations is not that great an achievement.

Ireland qualifying for a World Cup in soccer or major international tournament is a greater achievement quite easily as hundreds of countries, most much, much bigger than Ireland do take it seriously.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 02, 2017, 02:17:52 PM

Grand slam? Beating 5 other teams in a non-world event?? Get a grip. Harrington was the correct choice.f**king egg chasers is right. They beat 3/4 of a New Zealand team last year in a FRIENDLY and the country was in meltdown. They get far too much hype whereas Harrington didn't get enough
In Euro 88, Holland had five games in a non-world event, didn't even win them all and still were champions. Still, I'm sure they had a better sporting achievement that year too.

Scoring a last minute equaliser against one of football's superpowers in the dying minutes of a group game at a World Cup may seem trivial but when you view it in its context it's a whole lot more than winning an annual 6 team tournament in a sport where only about 8 countries take semi-seriously.

If truth be told the Irish team are one massive set of over-hyped, under achieving fun boys. They've never been past the last 8 in the World Cup in a sport only 8 teams take seriously. They're the only one of the 8 sides that take it seriously that have never been in the last 4 of a World Cup.

It's popularity in this country is more to do with its social outing culture and the increased chance of success given the small competition pool, there's a disproportionate amount of women at rugby matches compared to other sports. Most lads who attend rugby matches these days have never played an organised game of rugby in their life, that's an odd association with the game.
Just to be clear, I have virtually no interest in rugby but I can appreciate the skill in the game. I don't care why it's popular but it is. If people love it as a spectator sport and aren't involved in the game at any level then so be it.

Ireland have competed in the five/six nations for a long time. It's a tough competition as I suspect that it contains six of the top ten teams in the World in it. Winning the grand slam in it is a great achievement. If it wasn't it would have been done more recently than it was.

I don't see how Keane's goal can be considered anywhere close to it. We didn't see Quinn's equaliser against Holland in 1990s contest and it seems to be pretty much the same achievement. Does Ireland's draw with Russia in '88 gain much attention apart from the fantastic goal? I don't think so because it was a draw, in a group game which ultimately achieved nothing.

Only 8 countries take rugby anywhere remotely seriously so when you're one of those teams it's not in anyway difficult to be competing at the top end. Ireland winning the 6 nations is not that great an achievement.

Ireland qualifying for a World Cup in soccer or major international tournament is a greater achievement quite easily as hundreds of countries, most much, much bigger than Ireland do take it seriously.
I'm thinking you add New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and Argentina and you have the Top 10. Am I missing someone?

So if there was a soccer tournament that had the best six teams in the world and one of them won all five games in it for the first time in 50 years (?) then I'd say it was a pretty good achievement.

You're comparing Ireland's soccer team qualifying for the World Cup of 32 teams, when they're ranked up and around the Top 50 (I think) to the rugby team beating ALL five teams, who are five of the top ten teams in the world.

nrico2006

Well said. I dont see the hoo hah about winning the odd tournament thats played annually between 6 teams (with up to 2 of your 5 opponents basically cannon fodder).
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

The northie hatred of one of the only genuinely significant all-Ireland representative sport here has always been a little amusing. Trying to navigate all these contradictions in terms would require a high-powered radar.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 02, 2017, 03:27:23 PM

I'm thinking you add New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and Argentina and you have the Top 10. Am I missing someone?

So if there was a soccer tournament that had the best six teams in the world and one of them won all five games in it for the first time in 50 years (?) then I'd say it was a pretty good achievement.

You're comparing Ireland's soccer team qualifying for the World Cup of 32 teams, when they're ranked up and around the Top 50 (I think) to the rugby team beating ALL five teams, who are five of the top ten teams in the world.

And in that top 10 you have two countries (Italy and Argentina) who don't really care all that much about rugby. They are sports who have little appeal to the ordinary persons there.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on December 02, 2017, 04:08:30 PM
The northie hatred of one of the only genuine all-Ireland representative sports here has always been a little amusing. Trying to navigate all these contradictions in terms would require a high-powered radar.

The West Brit love-in with the pre-eminent British sport, played almost exclusively by current and former British commonwealth nations is very amusing.

Personally I would have issue with supporting a national team who supported apartheid South Africa back in the day but if you're happy to cheerlead institutionalised racism, then so be it.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 02, 2017, 03:30:50 PM

Well said. I dont see the hoo hah about winning the odd tournament thats played annually between 6 teams (with up to 2 of your 5 opponents basically cannon fodder).

It would basically be like Roscommon (or Mayo) celebrating Ballaghaderreen winning a Connacht cricket title as their greatest sporting achievement this decade.