Ireland's Greatest Sporting Moment RTE 2

Started by BennyCake, November 09, 2017, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Therealdonald

I'm just saying...darts and snooker aren't sports. Any sport that is predominantly practiced and played in a bar sadly dont make the cut in Donald's eyes

AZOffaly

Splitting hairs in fairness. I think any form of competition that requires a defined skillset is a sport. It doesn't equate to athleticism in my eyes.

That said, I don't think you can say darts players are as athletic as golfers :) Golfers actually have to do gym work, whereas some darts players are called Jim.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 29, 2017, 04:33:36 PM
Splitting hairs in fairness. I think any form of competition that requires a defined skillset is a sport. It doesn't equate to athleticism in my eyes.

That said, I don't think you can say darts players are as athletic as golfers :) Golfers actually have to do gym work, whereas some darts players are called Jim.

Some of the best golfers in the world resemble the Michelin Man, AZ.

Sure, some try to take their fitness seriously to get an advantage but it's far less of an impediment to high level play being a fat fúcker in golf than other sports. Darts players could similarly benefit from better fitness too.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Syferus on November 29, 2017, 04:49:40 PM

Sure, some try to take their fitness seriously to get an advantage but it's far less of an impediment to high level play being a fat fúcker in golf than other sports. Darts players could similarly benefit from better fitness too.

Syf, do us a favour my google isn't working right...check the top 20 golfers in the world and squint your eyes to see if you can imagine their body fat...do the same with the top 20 darts players and squint your eyes and see if you can guess how many pints they had at training today.

Gabriel_Hurl

And some posters here are shit-stirring assholes

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 29, 2017, 04:53:00 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 29, 2017, 04:49:40 PM

Syf, do us a favour my google isn't working right...check the top 20 golfers in the world and squint your eyes to see if you can imagine their body fat...do the same with the top 20 darts players and squint your eyes and see if you can guess how many pints they had at training today.

The only ones you could argue that are carrying any timber would be Matsuyama, Leishman and Perez

Eamonnca1

I heard some yank newscasters pontificate about this a while ago. They were talking about Nascar. They said "if you can eat while doing it, it's not a sport." Bloody eejits.

BennyCake

2000-12 on now. Spoilt for choice tonight. Not.

BennyCake

Katie bloody taylor is there, yet Michelle Smith with 3 gold and a bronze couldn't even make it. Mad, Ted.

Therealdonald

Quote from: BennyCake on November 30, 2017, 10:26:31 PM
Katie bloody taylor is there, yet Michelle Smith with 3 gold and a bronze couldn't even make it. Mad, Ted.

Ireland's greatest sportsman is in there....either if you say Padraig Harrington or Henry Shefflin

longballin

wonder why Michelle isn't there  ::)

BennyCake

Quote from: longballin on November 30, 2017, 10:49:54 PM

wonder why Michelle isn't there  ::)

I meant on the 90s show of course

BennyCake

At least none of that rugby shite won tonight.

Il Bomber Destro

Surely Robbie Keane's goal in the World Cup against Germany in 2002 was a greater moment than all of those?

Football is a global sport, it's mad the way the free state media constantly attempt to overegg the achievements of the egg chasers in an 8 nation sport (who have never made it past the last 8 in its pinnacle tournament).

BennyCake

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 01, 2017, 07:51:31 AM
Surely Robbie Keane's goal in the World Cup against Germany in 2002 was a greater moment than all of those?

Football is a global sport, it's mad the way the free state media constantly attempt to overegg the achievements of the egg chasers in an 8 nation sport (who have never made it past the last 8 in its pinnacle tournament).

I'd agree on both counts.

The hype rugby gets in this country is unbelievable.