Anti Catholicism prevalent in Ireland,but...

Started by T Fearon, October 01, 2014, 04:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Anti-catholicism my hole.

Ireland is going through a period where the presumed authority has collapsed.

The fall in attandences and admissions to seminaries is only a headline. The issue of how many Irish people continue to attend church and go through (most of) the sacraments when they fall due but don't automatcially accept what the church says would be a far more interesting study.

I say "most of" the sacraments as anecdotally I'm hearing that the numbers of under 40's who attend confession is incredibly low and thats low from within the subset of society who attent mass regularly. A proper survey of that issue would be interesting.

T Fearon

That's due to secularism.If the Church saves just a few souls its serving its purpose,the real shame is the vast majority who have no strong faith excluding themselves from salvation and blaming the church and its failings for this.

easytiger95

Is this the same vast majority that support Sean Brady? How many of them were at the County final?

This is very confusing.

thebigfella

Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2014, 11:21:45 AM
That's due to secularism.If the Church saves just a few souls its serving its purpose,the real shame is the vast majority who have no strong faith excluding themselves from salvation and blaming the church and its failings for this.

I hope so......

muppet

Quote from: easytiger95 on October 03, 2014, 11:33:03 AM
Is this the same vast majority that support Sean Brady? How many of them were at the County final?

This is very confusing.

Or the vast majority that refused to let Brady confirm their children?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Sadly these people are cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

easytiger95

That's two vast majorities Muppet. And unless one is imaginary, I can't understand how.....

Oh, I see.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 01, 2014, 09:31:36 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 01, 2014, 09:27:06 PM
I met him once. He wasn't a nutcase. Indeed, he was actually dead on.

Got his autograph.
I'd say he's sounder than he makes out to be on this. His facebook (am friends with a few from here) certainly doesn't make him out to be a nutter like he's made out by all and sundry here to be.

Now, Farr, you have only to skim through his comments on this topic and on the "Sean Brady Steps Down" one to see why so many sane, reasonable people have come to the conclusion that he's a biteen bothered, as we'd say in our part of the world.
Either that or he's a compulsive troll, possibly a bit of both.

Compare the following extracts and see if you can spot anything odd.
This is the opener of this thread.

"The Sacristan of the Dominican Church in Drogheda is currently on tenth day of a hunger strike against thr Order's decision to close the church in that locality.He claims that the church is drawing capacity congregations on Saturday evenings and ever increasing numbers to Sunday masses.Obviously hoping for a favourable outcome here but amid all the depressing anti catholic and theophobic statements,not least on this board,it is heartwarming to see people prepared to make great sacrifices for the faith."

But here's what he had to say on the "Sean Brady Steps Down" one.

"Insubordination and dissent is not good for any organisation.The last time this happened on a major basis in Catholic Church protestantism resulted.The decisions of the hierarchy must be obeyed without question as they are divinely informed at all times."

Can you reconcile those statements?
Another gentle statement from our part of God's Acre comes to mind.
Maybe he's just a "Duine Le Dia" and one shouldn't look for sense in anything he pasts.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2014, 12:31:30 PM
Sadly these people are cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

Really! By taking a stand and showing their displeasure with Sean Brady?

Tell me, do you think that will there be consequences for their actions?

Seeing as their children were confirmed by another bishop I don't see how they have cut off their noses at all.
MWWSI 2017

LCohen

Quote from: LCohen on October 03, 2014, 09:50:49 AM
Anti-catholicism my hole.

Ireland is going through a period where the presumed authority has collapsed.

The fall in attandences and admissions to seminaries is only a headline. The issue of how many Irish people continue to attend church and go through (most of) the sacraments when they fall due but don't automatcially accept what the church says would be a far more interesting study.

I say "most of" the sacraments as anecdotally I'm hearing that the numbers of under 40's who attend confession is incredibly low and thats low from within the subset of society who attent mass regularly. A proper survey of that issue would be interesting.
Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2014, 11:21:45 AM

The collapse of the church's authority is due to secularism. Its that sort of insight that I log on for.

I find this talk of souls and salvation spiritualistic mumbo-jumbo. Believe what you like and I defend your right to that but really if you want anyone to take it seriously you need to at least be prepared to offer up some evidence for our consideration

We are alive now and when we die we rot. Its not that hard to get your head around. There endeth the whole shebang.

T Fearon

Faith doesn't require evidence. There is plenty of evidence (eg haunted properties,out of body experiences  etc) that life exists after death,but I agree, no one should be forced to believe and neither should those who do believe be subjected to ridicule.

easytiger95

But those who don't believe should be told they are damned forever?

thebigfella

Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2014, 02:21:34 PM
Faith doesn't require evidence. There is plenty of evidence (eg haunted properties,out of body experiences  etc) that life exists after death,but I agree, no one should be forced to believe and neither should those who do believe be subjected to ridicule.

Now I know you are a WUM  ;D

theskull1

Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2014, 02:21:34 PM

Tony...I am about to make you a very wealthy man  ;D

http://web.randi.org/the-million-dollar-challenge.html
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

easytiger95

I'm claiming it skull - after a month of reading Fearon's witterings, I'm a fully paid up member of the living dead. Where's me cash?