Learner Driving Insurance

Started by HP, July 05, 2021, 11:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HP

Young lad learning to drive was going get him insurance to drive my car whilst learning someone told me to use https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/ someone said just ring my own insurance and put him on for a few months. Then I was at car dealer looking for a new car and the sales lady said it will adversely effect him if I get him learners insurance when he passes, best get him his own insurance for the car - anyone with any experience of this, appreciate when he does pass it will be immense as he's only 17 so don't want to do anything that may hike the price, I did question can he have his own insurance with a provisional license - she assured me he could, I was somewhat sceptical. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HP on July 05, 2021, 11:40:43 AM
Young lad learning to drive was going get him insurance to drive my car whilst learning someone told me to use https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/ someone said just ring my own insurance and put him on for a few months. Then I was at car dealer looking for a new car and the sales lady said it will adversely effect him if I get him learners insurance when he passes, best get him his own insurance for the car - anyone with any experience of this, appreciate when he does pass it will be immense as he's only 17 so don't want to do anything that may hike the price, I did question can he have his own insurance with a provisional license - she assured me he could, I was somewhat sceptical.

We did the same for the youngest there recently she'll be on a temp insurance (3 months) until she passes (fingers crossed) I was assuming that we'd stick her on as a named driving for the year as she'll be off to college the following year and no car required!!

Not sure if it was marmalade but that was mentioned.

The car dealers used to give one years free insurance
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

David McKeown

Quote from: HP on July 05, 2021, 11:40:43 AM

Fair bit of recent experience in this area as I foolishly agreed to insure my wife's sisters (who are twins and teenagers) as a Christmas present.

Initially had insured both as learner drivers on one single policy as found it relatively cheap (cheaper than adding them as named drivers on an existing policy). Was then offered a discount on the cost of upgrading when one passed her test just before lockdown. As the second couldn't get a test due to lockdown I researched a number of possibilities.

1. Get them both their own policies. One as learner one as new driver.
2. Insure in new drivers name with the other as a learner. (With the aforementioned discount)
3. Add both to existing policy.
4. Get one of Marmalade's policies.

Long story short the best option would have been number 2. There was little difference in price between getting the new driver her own policy and adding her to an existing policy but it meant she'd start accruing no claims. I say would have been because I screwed up the order and cancelled the learner policy rather than upgrading and then lost out on the discount they offered.

As a result I went with number 4. I've found them to be excellent. They use a Bluetooth app to monitor driving it but it's not intrusive also they offer free upgrades upon test passes so I think they are definitely worth a look. Also very good if you intend to ensure more learners on the car in near future as all named drivers accrue no claims.

Obviously though shopping around is the best thing to do. So much changes based on your address, the car and the age/experience of all the potential drivers involved. I've found Apricot Insurance to be an excellent broker during this process and compareni website to also be very helpful.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Tony Baloney

Timely thread. We literally just added our 17 year old to my insurance for 3 months (has test booked for October) for an extra 200 quid but I had to move insurer as my own insurer wouldn't take him on for any car above Group 20. When he passes we were told it will be silly money and most insurers won't look at him for our cars (2.0L and 2.4L diesels) so either by him a cheap small car and get him his own policy (still expensive I'd say) or look for a car dealer that will through in insurance- a mate said he got his daughter a Citroën C1 with insurance a few years ago like this.

David McKeown

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 05, 2021, 12:54:48 PM
Timely thread. We literally just added our 17 year old to my insurance for 3 months (has test booked for October) for an extra 200 quid but I had to move insurer as my own insurer wouldn't take him on for any car above Group 20. When he passes we were told it will be silly money and most insurers won't look at him for our cars (2.0L and 2.4L diesels) so either by him a cheap small car and get him his own policy (still expensive I'd say) or look for a car dealer that will through in insurance- a mate said he got his daughter a Citroën C1 with insurance a few years ago like this.

I should say the price of used cars even old cheap ones is silly at the minute.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

HP

Quote from: David McKeown on July 05, 2021, 01:33:50 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 05, 2021, 12:54:48 PM

I should say the price of used cars even old cheap ones is silly at the minute.

I have been finding that that out, and they have no signs of going down, thanks all.