Nelson Mandela RIP

Started by 5 Sams, December 05, 2013, 10:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

An Icon, perhaps the Iconic figure of my lifetime. A truly, truly great man who achieved the impossible. Genuine sadness when I heard the news last night. RIP.

For some reason today I think of those Dunnes Stores workers who stood up against apartheid at great personal risk. That was back when you had Irish people who would stand for things that were right even if it meant having to take on big corporations.

gallsman

Over the next few days, the world will rightly pay tribute to Mandela. The most fitting of tributes would be for his suffering and efforts not to be thrown away by an incompetent and corrupt South African government. Zuma and his cronies are a shower of gangsters. The ANC is riven with warring factions. The South Africa of today and its current direction is not what Mandela fought for.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gallsman on December 06, 2013, 11:38:57 AM
Over the next few days, the world will rightly pay tribute to Mandela. The most fitting of tributes would be for his suffering and efforts not to be thrown away by an incompetent and corrupt South African government. Zuma and his cronies are a shower of gangsters. The ANC is riven with warring factions. The South Africa of today and it's current direction is not what Mandela fought for.

While it may not be what he wanted it is steeping in the right direction and as we should know it takes a generation or 2 to really change the way things are in a place that has been torn apart by division and disparity.

The greatest testament he can leave is that his long walk to freedom allowed a nation to walk free as well but on a global scale he became the conscience of the world and he touched billions of people in an amazing way.  We have lived at the same time as one of the most influential people who ever lived and for that I feel privileged.

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

seafoid

Over the next few days, the world will rightly pay tribute to Mandela. The most fitting of tributes would be for his suffering and efforts not to be thrown away by an incompetent and corrupt South African government. Zuma and his cronies are a shower of gangsters. The ANC is riven with warring factions. The South Africa of today and its current direction is not what Mandela fought for.
They didn't negotiate the economic issues very well back in the early 90s.
It's going to take time for the ANC to split but the sooner, the better. 

The South Africa of today and its current direction is not what Mandela fought for

Sin mar a bhionn. Pearse didn't die for clerical child abuse either.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ziggysego

Nelson Mandela was released from prison when I was only 10 years old, but I remember watching it live on the news. Whilst I wasn't aware of what was happening, I knew I was witnessing something historic and it's a memory that stayed with me.

A truly remarkable man and one of the few that you can honestly say made a global mark and changed the course of history for the better.

RIP Mandela.
Testing Accessibility

CD

Quote from: seafoid on December 06, 2013, 01:34:27 PM
They didn't negotiate the economic issues very well back in the early 90s.
It's going to take time for the ANC to split but the sooner, the better. 

The South Africa of today and its current direction is not what Mandela fought for

Sin mar a bhionn. Pearse didn't die for clerical child abuse either.

RIP Nelson Mandela. The 'father of modern South Africa.' I often wonder if his child grew up as he expected. I'm sure there'll be loads of discussion to this effect in the months ahead.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

magpie seanie

QuoteThe South Africa of today and its current direction is not what Mandela fought for

What him and others in similar scenarios fought for was to give their country the chance to do things in a better, fairer way. SA is far from perfect but look at what it came from. Without Mandela I dread to think what may have happened. How much longer apartheid might have prevailed? What would have happened if he wasn't there to command the situation when apartheid fell?

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 05, 2013, 11:37:23 PM
That **** frasier making a real p***k of himself (i know its not hard) on the protestant coalition site in relation to mandela, that bollocks will never grow up
I can't understand why you're surprised. To be honest, like yourself, I went straight to Willie's site as I would have expected nothing less and, true to form, he didn't disappoint.  I'm delighted, it shows him up for what he is. I hope Richard Haass and  Meghan  O'Sullivan get a chance to read it
Careful now

J OGorman

I'd advise folk to stay clear of that PC facebook site. Some of the comments are vicious and nasty in the extreme from people of all ages (even a wee old woman holding a cute dog)...a shared future with those posters will be some craic. We'll be trundling along like we are right now for a long long time

RIP Nelson

ziggysego

Quote from: J OGorman on December 06, 2013, 02:33:53 PM
I'd advise folk to stay clear of that PC facebook site. Some of the comments are vicious and nasty in the extreme from people of all ages (even a wee old woman holding a cute dog)...a shared future with those posters will be some craic. We'll be trundling along like we are right now for a long long time

RIP Nelson

Made the mistake of looking 5 minutes. Terrible stuff. Still, that's why he's posting that shite, to get attention. Just ignore and don't feed the WASP.
Testing Accessibility

mc_grens

Great man, and a great loss, but some of the people waxing lyrical have short memories as others here have already alluded. I saw this earlier and thought it was great...

http://www.okwonga.com/?p=869

heganboy

thats a great link mcgrens thanks
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

CD

Quote from: mc_grens on December 06, 2013, 02:50:02 PM
Great man, and a great loss, but some of the people waxing lyrical have short memories as others here have already alluded. I saw this earlier and thought it was great...

http://www.okwonga.com/?p=869

I liked that  - 'You didn't break him in life, and you won't shape him in death. You will try, wherever you are, and you will fail.'

Listening to the wireless today I'd say that 'shaping' has already begun!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

AZOffaly

To all of ye up in the wee six, protestant, catholic and dissenter, I feel sorry for you reading that shite on that page. How can any of you expect to live with or in harmony with a bunch of absolute fucksticks like that? I'm actually angry after reading that shite.