Warrenpoint Town now in Irish League Premiership.

Started by T Fearon, April 27, 2013, 05:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Duff

Quote from: ranch on April 30, 2013, 04:00:30 AM

First of all you know fine rightly Newry have reformed, so they do "exist at the moment."

It's Newry's home ground and they'll be competing in the Mid Ulster Intermediate League next season.

That hasn't been confirmed yet!

Quote from: ranch on April 30, 2013, 04:00:30 AM
This means they'll also be in a heap of different cup competitions as well as their league games. With Warrenpoint being a potential top flight club the IFA would have sought assurances that their fixtures would take priority. They were in no position to do this. At least get your facts right before posting nonsense.

Why can Dungannon accomodate them but Newry can't? There have been plenty of examples of clubs doing this; Carrick played at Crusaders, Ballinamallard played at Armagh City, Lurgan Celtic play at Oxford Sunnyside (who are in the division Newry are hoping to be admitted to next season).

supersub

Is this thread about Newry or Warrenpoint?  :o

Anyway, no doubt the point have benefited from Newry's demise this season, but it was all our own work to get into such a position in the first place. Newry are well within their right to reject a groundshare, however that is in the past and Point know if promoted they have the licence and a ground to play at. It may not be ideal in terms of travelling, but it gives time to improve the current ground and let's the club move forward as they wish for now. Indeed I think the ground is the least of the worries moving up, it is more the financial side of things that people don't realise about - serious hike in expenditure etc for the Premiership - this is where the main problem lies with WTFC.

As for John Boyle, he has been a tower of strength in the backline for a number of seasons, superb player and leader. Will be hard to hold on to him.

T Fearon

Plenty of big hitters round the Point, with real money, who could and will help the club I'm sure! Certainly if Ballinamallard can survive there's no reason wh Warrenpoint can't.

I think it will be an absolute shame if Newry don't make their ground available, should Warrenpoint reach the Premier league. Anyway,doesnt Newry and Mourne Council own the Showgrounds, and isn't Warrenpoint in the same council area?

supersub

But maybe not as much disposible at the moment as some may think. Also can't ask for more from people who have previously sponsored quite a large amount i.e. The Quays. Conversations have been had with a few big hitters already to no avail.

Ballinamallard had a huge helping hand from one individual/family in particular which has gone a long long way to securing their club from Senior the whole way down. And it isn't one off payments in their case either.

Think that avenue is closed anyway, alternative plans are in place already in terms of the ground for next year if needed. It is but Newry have the lease of the ground as far as I am aware and are/were paying the rates etc for it.

T Fearon

Surely the demise of Newry City would have caused the demise of the lease, and Warrenpoint could therefore apply for the lease for a fixed term,and lend the ground to Newry Town as and when they need it?

ranch

Quote from: Larry Duff on April 30, 2013, 09:36:22 AM
Why can Dungannon accomodate them but Newry can't? There have been plenty of examples of clubs doing this; Carrick played at Crusaders, Ballinamallard played at Armagh City, Lurgan Celtic play at Oxford Sunnyside (who are in the division Newry are hoping to be admitted to next season).

All the examples you used are completely irrelevant. Not one of them are an example of an IFA premiership side using the ground of a team who compete under the auspices of the MUFA. When Carrick played at Seaview it was clear who owned the ground and with both sides competing in the same division there wouldn't be an issue as to who had first preference.
I personally would have been happy to see the 'Point competing at the Showgrounds (promotion permitting), but there were justifiable reasons for it not being possible and not some grudge which has never existed between the 2 clubs.

Quote from: T Fearon on April 30, 2013, 07:46:13 AM
Newry like Rangers and Gretna got into a mess due to over dependence on an individual benefactor.This should not have been allowed to happen.

It definitely shouldn't have been allowed to happen. Using the word benefactor is a bit strong however, he didn't exactly pump his own money into the club.

Quote from: T Fearon on April 30, 2013, 11:21:55 AM

I think it will be an absolute shame if Newry don't make their ground available, should Warrenpoint reach the Premier league. Anyway,doesnt Newry and Mourne Council own the Showgrounds, and isn't Warrenpoint in the same council area?

The ground wasn't affected by Newry's demise due to the fact Newry's season ticket holders have control of the ground and 'leased' it to the football club.

thewobbler

Ranch, you're quite defensive about the Town.

Newry need to learn from the mistakes of the last time they were in existence. Most of which, in my opinion, were related to an inability/unwillingness to connect with the local community. Being called "Newry" isn't enough, you have to work at it.

And I'd suggest that one of the easiest ways they could drum up a bit of community support, and get people to start going through the turnstiles at the Showgrounds, is to bend over backwards to help their neighbours, should they need it... and even if it means playing second fiddle for a while.

By the way, and without trying to aggravate the lack of community spirit thing. But Warrenpoint are on the cusp of the top flight with a team which are (as far as I can tell) all born within 10 miles of the town. Personally I've so much more respect for this approach that the Gary Peebles approach to local football. Learnings to be had here?

ranch

Quote from: thewobbler on April 30, 2013, 02:52:57 PM
Ranch, you're quite defensive about the Town.

Newry need to learn from the mistakes of the last time they were in existence. Most of which, in my opinion, were related to an inability/unwillingness to connect with the local community. Being called "Newry" isn't enough, you have to work at it.

And I'd suggest that one of the easiest ways they could drum up a bit of community support, and get people to start going through the turnstiles at the Showgrounds, is to bend over backwards to help their neighbours, should they need it... and even if it means playing second fiddle for a while.

By the way, and without trying to aggravate the lack of community spirit thing. But Warrenpoint are on the cusp of the top flight with a team which are (as far as I can tell) all born within 10 miles of the town. Personally I've so much more respect for this approach that the Gary Peebles approach to local football. Learnings to be had here?

I agree with your view on the 'mistakes' of the last time. As I've already stated, some of my good mates, and indeed club mates, were the ones who benefited most of all when Newry decided to eventually look at the local talent. Now these lads are playing for the 'Point and on the brink of promotion for the second time in 12 months, albeit with a different club. I'd be delighted to see the 'Point get the point required v Limavady and then beat DC in a play off, I really would.

As for being defensive, it may come across as that but it angers me to see others talk nonsense about issues when they clearly aren't aware of any facts. Whether we like it or not, and I've said before that I would have enjoyed watching the odd 'Point game in the Showgrounds next season, the fact is that a few dedicated individuals have ensured the Showgrounds didn't become a wasteland over the last few months. They did so with the intention of Newry finally back to, at the very least, Championship 1 standard in a few years time. Playing 'second fiddle' as you put it is an option they could have taken but one they were also entitled to turn down.

Larry Duff

Quote from: ranch on April 30, 2013, 02:44:17 PM
All the examples you used are completely irrelevant. Not one of them are an example of an IFA premiership side using the ground of a team who compete under the auspices of the MUFA. When Carrick played at Seaview it was clear who owned the ground and with both sides competing in the same division there wouldn't be an issue as to who had first preference.

Hardly irrelevent, they're examples of clubs at a higher level than Newry that were able to accomodate a ground share. Two of the cases involved clubs from different divisions using the same pitch, so there is no issue regarding ground ownership or fixture clashes. As is the case with Oxford, the MUFL secretaries have no issue with co-ordinating fixtures to accomodate ground shares.

Ownership of your ground is not a requirement of entry to MUFL so ground sharing would not have an effect on Newry's application. However financial competency is an entry requirement and experience of competing as a football club is also desirable. Newco Newry have neither of these!

Don't worry though, the application will no doubt be approved, just as in the case of Omagh Utd. I expect a similar outcome!

ranch

Quote from: Larry Duff on May 01, 2013, 09:07:50 AM
Quote from: ranch on April 30, 2013, 02:44:17 PM

Hardly irrelevent, they're examples of clubs at a higher level than Newry that were able to accomodate a ground share. Two of the cases involved clubs from different divisions using the same pitch, so there is no issue regarding ground ownership or fixture clashes. As is the case with Oxford, the MUFL secretaries have no issue with co-ordinating fixtures to accomodate ground shares.

Ownership of your ground is not a requirement of entry to MUFL so ground sharing would not have an effect on Newry's application. However financial competency is an entry requirement and experience of competing as a football club is also desirable. Newco Newry have neither of these!

Don't worry though, the application will no doubt be approved, just as in the case of Omagh Utd. I expect a similar outcome!

The MUFA offered Newry the chance to compete THIS season, the offer was still there in October well after the leagues had started.

Also, Newry actually let Warrenpoint use their ground for a Mid Ulster Cup quarter final last month, so it's nothing to do with a grudge or jealousy on Newry's part. Barry Gray says as much himself in today's 'Newry Reporter'.

SHEEDY

the point won 2-0 away to limavady today to set up a play off against Donegal celtic. 1st leg at home on Tuesday, then away 3 days later.
nil satis nisi optimum

ranch

The first leg v DC is apparently going to be a 7.15pm kick off due to Wrrenpoint not having sufficient floodlights.

T Fearon

ranch

Hopefully a first leg lead for the 'Point to take into the away tie.

T Fearon

Taking one goal lead into away leg,no goal conceded! Must be in with a great chance,especially if they park one of Mc Nulty's coaches in front of the goal! ;D