Rome

Started by Longfordian, February 12, 2007, 10:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heineken_on_tap

Cheers lads, will look at them. Thanks.

Norf Tyrone

This thread is nearly 10 years old, so maybe the old posts are not relevant.

Taking the missus here in April for a few nights. Can anyone recommend  a good hotel? I seen a few near Vatican City that look reasonable. Is that a good location?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Il Bomber Destro

The greatest city in the world.

Boycey

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 04, 2017, 03:15:25 PM

Taking the missus here in April for a few nights. Can anyone recommend  a good hotel? I seen a few near Vatican City that look reasonable. Is that a good location?

The Vatican City is a little out of the way as regards the sights, restaurants, etc, bar the Vatican obviously :-) but you can walk to central Rome in 20/30 mins and there is a metro station that does the trick either. I can put you in touch with a woman who owns apartments in the centre, they're nothing fancy but cheap, clean and fairly well located.

I'd echo Il Bomber, its a wonderful place I've been 4 times and would go back in the morning..

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Boycey on December 04, 2017, 03:25:17 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 04, 2017, 03:15:25 PM

The Vatican City is a little out of the way as regards the sights, restaurants, etc, bar the Vatican obviously :-) but you can walk to central Rome in 20/30 mins and there is a metro station that does the trick either. I can put you in touch with a woman who owns apartments in the centre, they're nothing fancy but cheap, clean and fairly well located.

I'd echo Il Bomber, its a wonderful place I've been 4 times and would go back in the morning..

Cheers Boycey. Can you send me a link to that place.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

bannside

Rome is a fantastic city...best place I've ever been to! Been there four times as well.

The last time I just booked with secret escapes. They always have a Rome deal, and you'll get a four star hotel, not too far away from the action, for very reasonable circa €120 euro a night per room.

Rome has busy times and quieter times (seasonal) so that can be a factor. If you can avoid Easter week  the rest of April would be very reasonable.

T Fearon

Heading to Rome next week,on what is my forty something'th visit (my first was in 1980).Only have time for a one night/two day stay this time.Return flights and overnight hotel with breakfast for the two of us,£160 or £80 each.Once went just for a few hours,back home on the same day,for my birthday a few years ago

Special place for us, as we were married there.Never get tired of it.

T Fearon

Vatican is walkable as regards the main sights.Cross the river on way back,at bridge overlooked by Castel San't Angelo,its no great walking  distance from there to Piazza Navona, and another short walk to the Pantheon,and from there on up to Via Corso,from which you can easily access the Trevi,Colosseum etc.Suppose it does help if you know your way around.

AhNowRef

One of the most, if not "the most" jaw dropping places Ive ever been is St Peters Basilica ... incredible altogether,,  definitely dont miss it whatever you do...

Rome is just fantastic, as are the people... ....  watch the roads though, the feckers would drive over you and then stick her in reverse just to make sure  :-\ ...

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: AhNowRef on December 04, 2017, 04:33:04 PM
One of the most, if not "the most" jaw dropping places Ive ever been is St Peters Basilica ... incredible altogether,,  definitely dont miss it whatever you do...

Rome is just fantastic, as are the people... ....  watch the roads though, the feckers would drive over you and then stick her in reverse just to make sure  :-\ ...

Dougael: an audience with the Pope? I love those programs

T Fearon

Hugely privileged to attend mass celebrated by Pope Francis in St.Peter's Basilica last night.Not quite the million strong congregation at my previous Papal Mass in Phoenix Park in 1979.