The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

It's a shot across the bows from O'Mahoney's agent, up the offer or he is off to Eng/France. The Sexton experience in France showed balancing club & country is grueling, he had played something like 6 games for Racing before his Leinster teammates were eased back into the fray

Orior

Why do rugby players not wear gloves?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

GetOverTheBar

You can buy gloves for rugby. Most of the balls used at that level however are fairly 'grippy' for want of a better word.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 28, 2017, 08:30:00 PM
It's a shot across the bows from O'Mahoney's agent, up the offer or he is off to Eng/France. The Sexton experience in France showed balancing club & country is grueling, he had played something like 6 games for Racing before his Leinster teammates were eased back into the fray

The attrition rate in France is a major factor, the much heavier game leads to more and persistent injuries.  Going to France could lead to a shorter career for O'Mahoney who is a tight man in the Irish pond but would be a lightweight in France.

screenexile

Quote from: Orior on December 11, 2017, 12:52:04 PM

Don't think you're allowed to wear gloves in rugby... Or maybe you can but they have to be fingerless as I remember BOD used to wear them.

Big result for Ulster away to Harlequins. You'd expect a backlash from Quins this time around though as they won't want to lose all their games in the pool.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: screenexile on December 11, 2017, 03:02:13 PM

Don't think you're allowed to wear gloves in rugby... Or maybe you can but they have to be fingerless as I remember BOD used to wear them.

Big result for Ulster away to Harlequins. You'd expect a backlash from Quins this time around though as they won't want to lose all their games in the pool.

Yep their called mitts (fingerless) need to be IRB approved.
#newbridgeornowhere

lenny

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 11, 2017, 03:34:46 PM
Quote from: screenexile on December 11, 2017, 03:02:13 PM

Yep their called mitts (fingerless) need to be IRB approved.

This Jordan Larmour is a great player to watch. One of the most exciting Irish talents in a long time.

Declan

What do our Rugby followers think of this story https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/munster-rugby/everybody-makes-mistakes-van-graan-willing-to-forgive-munster-second-rows-doping-past-36474261.html

I'd be more with Ger Gilroy's stance on it below then the coache's tbh

"What does it say to anyone in the Munster academy when a known, confessed drugs cheat who has served a ban for taking an anabolic steroid is brought into the club?," Gilroy asked.

"What does it say to the fans? What do the Munster fans have to say about this? If you are a sponsor, are you happy to be associated with the fact that this guy is representing Munster, the province and by extension, Irish rugby, and the brands that are associated with it?

"I just don't think enough of a conversation has been had about this. I don't really feel very comfortable with the fact that Irish rugby has decided that we are going to be the ones who help drug cheats rehabilitate their reputation.

"I understand that people do a crime, serve the time and need to be rehabilitated so there is a bit of conflict in that aspect to it. Maybe if he has decided to dedicate his life to a drug-free spot, fair enough, I can see something in that but we haven't see that so far.

"More of a conversation needs to be had around this and frankly, I don't think Munster should be spending money rehabilitating drugs cheats."

AZOffaly

I'd be with Gilroy too, but I think he's being naive or mischievious if he doesn't think there's stuff going on anyway, Grobler or no Grobler. As it is, I wouldn't want him, and I won't be too happy when he plays for Munster.

I'd prefer Munster were allowed keep Donnacha Ryan.

Either way, my season ticket is for the East Terrace, and I usually try to get in in time to stand near the dugout. It never ceases to amaze me how much punishment these guys put up with in 80 minutes, or less, and how beat up and crocked they are coming off the field. And yet 7 days or less later, they are good to go again. I know they are hardy bucks, but jesus something doesn't add up there.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 10, 2018, 02:37:01 PM
I'd be with Gilroy too, but I think he's being naive or mischievious if he doesn't think there's stuff going on anyway, Grobler or no Grobler. As it is, I wouldn't want him, and I won't be too happy when he plays for Munster.

Either way, my season ticket is for the East Terrace, and I usually try to get in in time to stand near the dugout. It never ceases to amaze me how much punishment these guys put up with in 80 minutes, or less, and how beat up and crocked they are coming off the field. And yet 7 days or less later, they are good to go again. I know they are hardy bucks, but jesus something doesn't add up there.

More than ice baths you think AZ?

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on January 10, 2018, 02:38:24 PM

I'd say more an over reliance on pain killers and anti inflamatories. Look I'm no chemist, nor do I have a degree in sports science. But when I see the size of these lads, the punishment they take, the pain they are in and then they just do it all again a week later, you have to wonder.

Dinny Breen

As stated before I believe drugs are in all sports. He played the game got caught, life ban is the only solution. He used anabolic steroids so being allowed play is like robbing a bank, getting caught and being allowed keep the money.

Donnacha Ryan choose to leave Munster, it was his choice.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 10, 2018, 02:57:05 PM

As stated before I believe drugs are in all sports. He played the game got caught, life ban is the only solution. He used anabolic steroids so being allowed play is like robbing a bank, getting caught and being allowed keep the money.

Donnacha Ryan choose to leave Munster, it was his choice.

Yes he chose to because they couldn't/wouldn't give him an international contract.

thewobbler

When you consider that for the best part of 100 years of amateur rugby, Wales - a Celtic nation and therefore short arsed - hardly produced a single winger over 6' tall, yet in the past 15 years have produced a series of 6' 4", 17st tanks who can run sub 11 second for 100m... you really don't need anymore proof that the game is awash from top to bottom with drugs.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 10, 2018, 02:41:22 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 10, 2018, 02:38:24 PM

I'd say more an over reliance on pain killers and anti inflamatories. Look I'm no chemist, nor do I have a degree in sports science. But when I see the size of these lads, the punishment they take, the pain they are in and then they just do it all again a week later, you have to wonder.

Kimmage mentioned anti inflammatories in this interview

http://rugbylad.com/watch-luke-fitzgerald-absolutely-tears-into-paul-kimmage-in-heated-argument/
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU