The Good News Thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, May 13, 2009, 11:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

Saw that on the news this evening. Very very honest man. I hope the winner sorts him out with a few quid, its the least he deserves.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Trevor Hill on June 14, 2009, 01:23:20 AM
Saw that on the news this evening. Very very honest man. I hope the winner sorts him out with a few quid, its the least he deserves.

Good to hear all right but I would give the shopkeeper something back as a gesture of goodwill. Poor form if he wasnt rewarded in someway, 1000 euro voucher maybe.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 14, 2009, 08:50:42 AM

Good to hear all right but I would give the shopkeeper something back as a gesture of goodwill. Poor form if he wasnt rewarded in someway, 1000 euro voucher maybe.
I was thinking more like 10%.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 14, 2009, 08:50:42 AM

If I was the shopkeeper I'd tell him to stick his voucher up his hole if he produced that.

I would have done what the shopkeeper done and if and if it was me who won the money I'd give the shopkeeper half.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

thebigfella

Give him fcuk all. At the end of the day the guy bought the ticket fairly and it would have been theft if he didn't hand it over.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: thebigfella on June 14, 2009, 11:00:30 AM
Give him fcuk all. At the end of the day the guy bought the ticket fairly and it would have been theft if he didn't hand it over.
It's attitudes like that that has the country the way it is, me me me me me.

What would you have done if you were the shopkeeper?

SLIGONIAN

Jees i was only suggesting without thinking, of course if it happened me i give alot of consideration probably couple a grand but 10% is going a bit far,

Either way the shopkeeper deserves something for sure and we all agree on that. Great story lets hope he gets a nd reward and more imortantly is happy with it.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

thebigfella

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 14, 2009, 11:04:46 AM

Hand it over. The fact is the guy bought it and if he gives me something I would probably turn it down. Why should the shopkeeper be rewarded for being honest?

The Real Laoislad

On todays paper that the shopkeepers dream was to own one of those holiday motorhomes,The fella that owns the ticket is gonna buy him one..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: thebigfella on June 14, 2009, 11:30:06 AM

Hand it over. The fact is the guy bought it and if he gives me something I would probably turn it down. Why should the shopkeeper be rewarded for being honest?
He's not being rewarded for being honest, he's also being rewarded for conducting a search to find who bought the ticket.  He could have put it in the bin not knowing or he could have kept it himself, fact is, yer man would not have a penny if it wasnt for the shopkeeper.

ardal

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 14, 2009, 11:40:17 AM

He's not being rewarded for being honest, he's also being rewarded for conducting a search to find who bought the ticket.  He could have put it in the bin not knowing or he could have kept it himself, fact is, yer man would not have a penny if it wasnt for the shopkeeper.

I hope the reason it's got so much publicity is to highlight the simple fact that honesty is a positive think, and may be rewarded

thebigfella

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 14, 2009, 11:40:17 AM

He did the right thing, big deal. He couldn't have kept it himself, because he would have knowing claimed it illegally. It's a straight cut case of theft in my eyes and there are a few cases in England which back up my views, not sure about the South.

If you read the previous post and what he is supposed to have been saying in the paper, the "shopkeepers dream was to own one of those holiday motorhomes", seems to me he's hinting at something and expecting a little cut  ::)

pintsofguinness

QuoteIf you read the previous post and what he is supposed to have been saying in the paper, the "shopkeepers dream was to own one of those holiday motorhomes", seems to me he's hinting at something and expecting a little cut
I havent seen the article so I dont know what context that was reported, if the shopkeeper said it, was asked by the paper or asked by the man who won the money. 

You might give him nothing, I'd give him half because without his honesty and effort of finding me I'd have won none of it. 

DennistheMenace

I'd definitely give the shopkeeper something, around 10% or so of the winnings.

It's not as if the shopkeeper found a suitcase full of money, he couldn't have kept the ticket and cashed it in anyway.

thebigfella

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 14, 2009, 01:00:40 PM
QuoteIf you read the previous post and what he is supposed to have been saying in the paper, the "shopkeepers dream was to own one of those holiday motorhomes", seems to me he's hinting at something and expecting a little cut
I havent seen the article so I dont know what context that was reported, if the shopkeeper said it, was asked by the paper or asked by the man who won the money. 

You might give him nothing, I'd give him half because without his honesty and effort of finding me I'd have won none of it. 

Me neither and I'm basing what I say on that post. Also I didn't say I would offer nothing but my gripe is that it is almost expected of the guy/me/yourself to reward someone for doing the right thing. Give him nothing a wait and see the usual suspects give out; I reckon the shopkeeper too will be in the paper crying about it too.