Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gander

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on September 11, 2018, 10:56:30 AM
Folks - could I ask a bit of advice please - I have a Seagate external hard drive that is broken - a mate checked it out and confirmed it was a hardware issue. I looked at seagate website and to recover the files is going to cost nearly £600. The files contain many photos of strong sentimental value, including many of family occasions, but I'm baulking at the expense.

Are there any other options? I assume that this is going to be an expensive process to retrieve the files, if that is possible?

http://www.belfastdatarecovery.co.uk/devices/hard-drive-recovery/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw7yswd2y3QIVB7DtCh0p3AWwEAAYAyAAEgI0M_D_BwE

used these guys before and they're very good, not cheap either but cheaper than 600 quid

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: gander on September 11, 2018, 11:23:39 AM
http://www.belfastdatarecovery.co.uk/devices/hard-drive-recovery/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw7yswd2y3QIVB7DtCh0p3AWwEAAYAyAAEgI0M_D_BwE

used these guys before and they're very good, not cheap either but cheaper than 600 quid

Thanks gander - I think they are looking like my best option.

JoG2

Quote from: gander on September 11, 2018, 11:23:39 AM
Folks - could I ask a bit of advice please - I have a Seagate external hard drive that is broken - a mate checked it out and confirmed it was a hardware issue. I looked at seagate website and to recover the files is going to cost nearly £600. The files contain many photos of strong sentimental value, including many of family occasions, but I'm baulking at the expense.

Are there any other options? I assume that this is going to be an expensive process to retrieve the files, if that is possible?

I'll 2nd that, though it was a few years ago. I've a few HD's that need sorting myself, just need to get the finger out

Hardy

Same here - good, not cheap, but not £600 - more like half that, but it was maybe 7-8 years ago.

Dinny Breen

If you know anyone in the PSNI or Gardai, they can help. They have all the technology available for such data retrievals.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rufus T Firefly

Thanks for the responses lads.

majestic

In the market for a new laptop, I haven't owned one for years as I haven't had the need! But going back to uni part time so think it might be sensible. Would need to be a fairly good one considering the course is IT based! Anyone seen any deals or have any recommendations! Thanks

BenDover

Also on the lookout for a Chromebook fellas - any recommendations?

trailer

Quote from: BenDover on September 12, 2018, 07:54:45 AM
Also on the lookout for a Chromebook fellas - any recommendations?

Bought a Google Pixelbook myself. Thinks its great. Got it for £900 after shopping around a bit.

Orior

Has anyone access to an OCR scanner? If so, can you drop me a PM?

I need a 28 page PDF document scanned to text.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on November 04, 2018, 04:25:03 PM

A PDF document is already scanned, you need an OCR program.
There are many online sites for this kind of  thing e.g. https://www.onlineocr.net/
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on November 04, 2018, 06:32:40 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 04, 2018, 04:25:03 PM

A PDF document is already scanned, you need an OCR program.
There are many online sites for this kind of  thing e.g. https://www.onlineocr.net/

Good, but it only did the first page.

armaghniac

Google Docs does this sort of thing, I'm not quite sure of the exact invocation required.
Put it on your Google drive and open it and see what happens.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

I pulled some video files from a DVD onto my PC, with the files being in VOB, BUP and IFO format.

is there a free player that can show the videos?

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Orior on January 23, 2019, 08:48:45 PM
I pulled some video files from a DVD onto my PC, with the files being in VOB, BUP and IFO format.

is there a free player that can show the videos?

I've used VLC Media player in the past and have not found any file it couldn't play.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience