All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Yeah it even seems Walsh being there has came into the 17 players on the pitch thing here. It's got buck all to do with it.

Too much nonsense on Walsh. Dublin clubs have had them transfers for years and tbh any county with a city in it will see much higher profile transfers etc into the city - it's just part of life in Ireland with people gravitating to cities for jobs etc.

This thing has got way more legs than I thought it would. Tbh I'd rather not see a replay but there looks to be some mileage in things.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 11:19:46 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 23, 2023, 11:08:28 AM
If the linesman, 4th official or referee was informed by the Glen management team about the player number issue as has been reported, then they should have allowed the 45 to be retaken and for Glen to have another play with the correct numbers on the pitch, would have sorted it out there and then.
If it was just Mannion who wasn't next nor near the play as he was exiting the pitch then there's nothing that should be done but Mullin is absolutely in the middle of it and even if he wasn't near the shot could be said to be affecting the play.
If the precedent is a replay than there should be a replay, although if the referee was informed and it's in the report then does this come under some "dealt with on the day" area?
Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

You don't have to like that the Walsh transfer happened but it's a fact of life, Galway man Michael Day was playing for Na Fianna in the Dublin county final, there was no hubbub about that, purely because he's just another player of the many that has transferred to a city club due to life circumstances.
Shane Walsh is entitled to do whatever he wants with his life, the GAA nor his club at home don't own him. Crokes didn't have to accept him into the club either, I don't see how they are "undermined". If Walsh decided to pack up with Galway and say to Dessie Farrell I'm available for Dublin (don't think Dublin would take him but hypothetically speaking assume they do) then it's entirely up to himself, Galway people would undoubtedly be upset and unhappy but it's his life and it's an amateur game.

If people think the medal will mean nothing to him then that's ok too but do the Larry Tompkins and Shay Fahy wins with Cork mean nothing to them? Does it only mean something if you've been at a place a certain time? Should Fahy return his POTY award because he didn't win it with Kildare?
The high profile of Walsh shouldn't matter, people need to either get serious about this or not, do you want the GAA to stop transfers or put some limitations on transfers to certain clubs? What criteria are you going to place on it? Does it just apply to Dublin or metropolitan areas?
If the issue is "I just don't want Shane Walsh to go to a big club that was a serious AI contender already because it doesn't sit right with me" then that's back into the realm of you don't have to like it but that's life.
If the transfer was illegal that's another issue entirely but the GAA sanctioned it, he working teaching in Dublin classrooms at the minute, what do people actually want? If it's just that it's unfair on other teams in the competition then sure Moycullen were by far the worst offenders of the provincial winners in terms of players that are not from the club. There is no parish rule in Dublin to the best of my knowledge, he could be living anywhere in the city and play for whoever, I know lads who have their sons playing for Vincents and they live nowhere near the club, that's just their family club.

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 09:34:50 AM
That All Ireland, just like Dublins in the last decade and all of Man City/Chelsea/PSG's trophies will always have a massive asterisks beside it.
Can I ask why the Dublin All Ireland's have an asterisk? You don't have to like Dublin but when it came to playing on the pitch there were as good as I've ever seen. The funding is what it is, the likes of Galway and Cork have been shafted for years on allocations but up to county boards to have a backbone and bring motions to congress to ensure an equal playing field.
Millions and millions of euros and every game being played at home would be a pretty major asterisk.
The rest of the Leinster counties are to blame for the home game issue, more than happy to take the money when they should be looking to enforce home and away arrangements. As I said up to county boards to ensure that it's a level playing field, the more money going into getting people playing GAA the better I say but it should be equitable.

6th sam

Quote from: trailer on January 23, 2023, 11:12:07 AM
If the linesman, 4th official or referee was informed by the Glen management team about the player number issue as has been reported, then they should have allowed the 45 to be retaken and for Glen to have another play with the correct numbers on the pitch, would have sorted it out there and then.
If it was just Mannion who wasn't next nor near the play as he was exiting the pitch then there's nothing that should be done but Mullin is absolutely in the middle of it and even if he wasn't near the shot could be said to be affecting the play.
If the precedent is a replay than there should be a replay, although if the referee was informed and it's in the report then does this come under some "dealt with on the day" area?

You don't have to like that the Walsh transfer happened but it's a fact of life, Galway man Michael Day was playing for Na Fianna in the Dublin county final, there was no hubbub about that, purely because he's just another player of the many that has transferred to a city club due to life circumstances.
Shane Walsh is entitled to do whatever he wants with his life, the GAA nor his club at home don't own him. Crokes didn't have to accept him into the club either, I don't see how they are "undermined". If Walsh decided to pack up with Galway and say to Dessie Farrell I'm available for Dublin (don't think Dublin would take him but hypothetically speaking assume they do) then it's entirely up to himself, Galway people would undoubtedly be upset and unhappy but it's his life and it's an amateur game.

If people think the medal will mean nothing to him then that's ok too but do the Larry Tompkins and Shay Fahy wins with Cork mean nothing to them? Does it only mean something if you've been at a place a certain time? Should Fahy return his POTY award because he didn't win it with Kildare?
The high profile of Walsh shouldn't matter, people need to either get serious about this or not, do you want the GAA to stop transfers or put some limitations on transfers to certain clubs? What criteria are you going to place on it? Does it just apply to Dublin or metropolitan areas?
If the issue is "I just don't want Shane Walsh to go to a big club that was a serious AI contender already because it doesn't sit right with me" then that's back into the realm of you don't have to like it but that's life.
If the transfer was illegal that's another issue entirely but the GAA sanctioned it, he working teaching in Dublin classrooms at the minute, what do people actually want? If it's just that it's unfair on other teams in the competition then sure Moycullen were by far the worst offenders of the provincial winners in terms of players that are not from the club. There is no parish rule in Dublin to the best of my knowledge, he could be living anywhere in the city and play for whoever, I know lads who have their sons playing for Vincents and they live nowhere near the club, that's just their family club.

That All Ireland, just like Dublins in the last decade and all of Man City/Chelsea/PSG's trophies will always have a massive asterisks beside it.
Can I ask why the Dublin All Ireland's have an asterisk? You don't have to like Dublin but when it came to playing on the pitch there were as good as I've ever seen. The funding is what it is, the likes of Galway and Cork have been shafted for years on allocations but up to county boards to have a backbone and bring motions to congress to ensure an equal playing field.

A great summation. Agree totally.

Of course Shane Walsh is entitled to do what he wants, and nobody is suggesting that there should be special rules for special players. But club football has many regulations around eligibility eg parish rule, inter county transfers, reserve teams eligibility , sanctions to play for other clubs etc etc. A simple additional rule around not being eligible for championship until the following season , would limit the risk of potential student issues etc.

Armagh18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 23, 2023, 11:30:17 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 11:19:46 AM

Millions and millions of euros and every game being played at home would be a pretty major asterisk.
The rest of the Leinster counties are to blame for the home game issue, more than happy to take the money when they should be looking to enforce home and away arrangements. As I said up to county boards to ensure that it's a level playing field, the more money going into getting people playing GAA the better I say but it should be equitable.
Yeah I agree with you. Anyway totally off topic and the Dubs finances and advantages have been discussed to death on here, don't particularly want to go into it again lol

rodney trotter

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2023, 11:25:20 AM
Yeah it even seems Walsh being there has came into the 17 players on the pitch thing here. It's got buck all to do with it.

Too much nonsense on Walsh. Dublin clubs have had them transfers for years and tbh any county with a city in it will see much higher profile transfers etc into the city - it's just part of life in Ireland with people gravitating to cities for jobs etc.

This thing has got way more legs than I thought it would. Tbh I'd rather not see a replay but there looks to be some mileage in things.

It probably wouldn't be a big issue if it was Na Fianna or Oliver Plunketts. But joining the biggest club in Dublin who were the reigning Leinster champions when he joined, seemed very convenient.
He was talking about his aim was to win Leinster and All Ireland club a few weeks after joining, likely had no intention of joining any other Dublin club

Hectic

Quote from: trailer on January 23, 2023, 11:07:56 AM
How did it happen. In an AIF. Crazy. It's a mess for the GAA. What were the sideline officials doing? This is literally their job.

Yeah the match officials are far from blameless here.

Hectic

Fair play to Crokes for collaring Walsh btw.  If it was not them it would have been someone else.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: 6th sam on January 23, 2023, 11:31:53 AM
Quote from: trailer on January 23, 2023, 11:12:07 AM

A great summation. Agree totally.

Of course Shane Walsh is entitled to do what he wants, and nobody is suggesting that there should be special rules for special players. But club football has many regulations around eligibility eg parish rule, inter county transfers, reserve teams eligibility , sanctions to play for other clubs etc etc. A simple additional rule around not being eligible for championship until the following season , would limit the risk of potential student issues etc.

Put it to your club and bring it to Congress then, would likely get a lot of support after this club season.
I would have zero love for Crokes but some of the pearl clutching about Walsh online is laughable, lads going on about the integrity of the game when it's amateur and players can do whatever they want with their life. Let's call a spade a spade here, they just don't like that a high profile player has moved to a big city club and won the AI (for the moment at least pending any replay of the final).

Truth hurts

Brolly has called for a replay, this is going to get bigger.

As Joe says, get off the beer lads

rodney trotter

What's laughable about it..He's a fellow Galwegian like you so you're defensive of it, that's grand

Of course they are amateur. Should every player just pack it in go where they want in that case and put in a transfer request..

Armagh18

Quote from: Hectic on January 23, 2023, 11:39:13 AM
Quote from: trailer on January 23, 2023, 11:07:56 AM
How did it happen. In an AIF. Crazy. It's a mess for the GAA. What were the sideline officials doing? This is literally their job.

Yeah the match officials are far from blameless here.
Buck stops with them, as immune from criticism refs seem to think they are. Really basic stuff not being done right.

yellowcard

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 23, 2023, 11:48:43 AM
Brolly has called for a replay, this is going to get bigger.

As Joe says, get off the beer lads

Could be that Brolly is pitching his services to Glen for the subsequent appeal. Or just making mischief.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 23, 2023, 11:52:57 AM
What's laughable about it..He's a fellow Galwegian like you so you're defensive of it, that's grand
Transfers happen all the time, the only difference is the profile of the player. The uproar is purely because of this. As I said earlier, either get Congress to change the rules on transfers and put in place practical and actionable changes into the current system or just accept that it's the way things are.

Of course they are amateur. Should every player just pack it in go where they want in that case and put in a transfer request..
If that's what's best for their life and they have moved counties then of course they can if they want, who are you or I to judge them? Is there some new GAA moral police around club transfers?

seafoid

Malachi O'Rourke didn't want to rock the boat but Wattys did well by serving the ball into the GAA's court. Controversies like this need to be fed.

oakleaflad

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 23, 2023, 12:00:56 PM
Transfers happen all the time, the only difference is the profile of the player. The uproar is purely because of this. As I said earlier, either get Congress to change the rules on transfers and put in place practical and actionable changes into the current system or just accept that it's the way things are.

If that's what's best for their life and they have moved counties then of course they can if they want, who are you or I to judge them? Is there some new GAA moral police around club transfers?
I'd add it's the fact that it's Kilmacud he's went to as well. He's went there because he wants to win an All Ireland club and has done that. From what i've heard it wasn't the closest club to him in Dublin, though this is purely from word of mouth.