Quote from: JoG2 on April 23, 2015, 01:56:08 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 23, 2015, 01:51:54 PM
Quote from: Bingo on April 23, 2015, 01:24:18 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on April 23, 2015, 10:05:35 AM
Quote from: oakleafer on April 22, 2015, 05:23:07 PM
DO NOT book 'The Usual Suspects'.

I'll second that
Tell us more lads
The lead singer pretended he had a dodgy leg the whole way through the set but was seen walking fine out to the van at the end.

maybe similar to James Brown pretending to faint on stage? (he wasn't really about to faint)

I wouldn't blacken a bands name if the above is the only reason though

Wedding bands are made craic, most would be happy with a couple of hundred for a hotel / bar gig, yet will charge £1800 to play the same set at a wedding.

There must be 2 Goodfellas bands, Goodfellas and The Goodfellas. The Goodfellas are based in Co Derry and would be an excellent wedding band.

F*ck that JoG, if a man pretends to have a limp, you expect him to have a limp and not just be putting it on. Sure if you can't believe him on that, he could be making up all sorts of other stuff as well

JohnDenver

I'll second that
Tell us more lads
The lead singer pretended he had a dodgy leg the whole way through the set but was seen walking fine out to the van at the end.

maybe similar to James Brown pretending to faint on stage? (he wasn't really about to faint)

Wedding bands are made craic, most would be happy with a couple of hundred for a hotel / bar gig, yet will charge £1800 to play the same set at a wedding.

There must be 2 Goodfellas bands, Goodfellas and The Goodfellas. The Goodfellas are based in Co Derry and would be an excellent wedding band.

I think this has been posted before at some point, but very relevant!

https://youtu.be/gimiDBAK2wA

andoireabu

Quote from: JoG2 on April 23, 2015, 02:00:13 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on April 23, 2015, 01:55:18 PM
Something we were told to look out for when looking for a band was to make sure the band members you go to see are the same as you will get on the night. Some bands can have 20 different members connected to them but the ones you get sent for your do might never have played together before.

most regular 4/ 5 piece rock 'n roll type bands will have a set lineup. The odd sub might come in to cover a member who is sick etc... These bands normally play the same shizzle so its no biggy. Swing type bands with 8/9/10 members  will have a pool of members they can call in. Mind you, the vast majority of these players will be session musicians, music teachers etc...all accomplished musicians so I wouldn't worry too much on that front
The girl that warned us said she had booked a band she saw and liked then on the night of her wedding different lads turned up to played and they were sh1te. If I was paying €1200+ for a band I would want the people I saw and liked, not strangers that someone else decided would do. Just something people should think about.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

AZOffaly

Maybe she was drunk when she saw them the first time. Wouldn't be the first time someone or something looked way better with a few drinks in ya. :)

take_yer_points

I'll second that
Tell us more lads

They just weren't that great - they came out with something like "we don't really do requests, we'll judge how the crowd are reacting and play accordingly". That would've been perfect if they were good and got the crowd up dancing but it didn't happen.

At the end of the night I went to give them an envelope with a cheque for the balance in it (same as everyone else who were paid that day). They wouldn't take it and said they didn't have an account they could pay it into - that was a load of shit because the deposit was paid into their account. They wanted the guts of a grand in cash at 1am (without asking for it before the day) and weren't too happy about not getting it.

oakleafer

Quote from: take_yer_points on April 23, 2015, 04:20:11 PM

I'll second that
Tell us more lads

They just weren't that great - they came out with something like "we don't really do requests, we'll judge how the crowd are reacting and play accordingly". That would've been perfect if they were good and got the crowd up dancing but it didn't happen.

At the end of the night I went to give them an envelope with a cheque for the balance in it (same as everyone else who were paid that day). They wouldn't take it and said they didn't have an account they could pay it into - that was a load of shit because the deposit was paid into their account. They wanted the guts of a grand in cash at 1am (without asking for it before the day) and weren't too happy about not getting it.

When the band started after the meal, they were a bit loud as there were a few of the elder guests still chatting and drinking coffee and tea at the tables. No one was yet on the dance floor. I asked them if they could ease in gently and lower the volume. They refused, and told me they were a wedding band not a wake band. One of them later pushed my sister when he thought she was dancing too close to where he was playing. They were obnoxious and rude and made no attempt to get a feel for the crowd or take requests.

leaveherinsir

Last Man Standing i could recommend. Didnt put the arm in too far, nice lads accomodated our needs 100%. Good musicans.Travel far and wide also

JoG2

Quote from: oakleafer on April 23, 2015, 04:36:53 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on April 23, 2015, 04:20:11 PM

I'll second that
Tell us more lads

When the band started after the meal, they were a bit loud as there were a few of the elder guests still chatting and drinking coffee and tea at the tables. No one was yet on the dance floor. I asked them if they could ease in gently and lower the volume. They refused, and told me they were a wedding band not a wake band. One of them later pushed my sister when he thought she was dancing too close to where he was playing. They were obnoxious and rude and made no attempt to get a feel for the crowd or take requests.

bad action. surely these cowboys know your rep is everything in the wedding business?

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 23, 2015, 02:00:57 PM

I'll second that
Tell us more lads

F*ck that JoG, if a man pretends to have a limp, you expect him to have a limp and not just be putting it on. Sure if you can't believe him on that, he could be making up all sorts of other stuff as well

;D ;D
MWWSI 2017