Under age amalgamation

Started by Portbush, August 31, 2016, 09:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: El Jefe on September 23, 2016, 09:53:09 AM
Quote from: SCFC on September 22, 2016, 10:29:12 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on September 22, 2016, 01:55:16 PM
people seem to be thinking one or two underage teams are going to take down the Town. Seems a lot of pressure to put on a few U16's and Minors, some of whom may not even be playing the game in 5 years, and thats nothing to do with either Club, just natural drop off.

Nail on the head there. This year it's St Paul's. 5 years ago it was Killeshin Crettyard. 10 or 12 years ago it was Stradbally Parish Gaels. Underage success is cyclical. Apart from Portlaoise of course.
What underage success have Portlaoise had in the last number of years?
There's pros and cons to the argument of amalgamations but where it benefits the teams involved, and the players, then its something that maybe should be looked at in more detail. Noone's saying its for everyone. The Courtwood/Emo one seems a very logical one that has lots of support. Hesh's Umpire, from talking to a lot of people involved in the 3 clubs it does seem that this is the case.
Then they should bring it forward at a meeting.

BallyroanAbu

Cannot see County Board allowing a 17th Senior Team but would work if coming from intermediate.  I like the idea of St Pauls Gaels as it's football clubs interesting.   I think also people are only looking at the positive side on this forum.  If St Pauls became a Gaels team  to be honest it's basically a stronger Emo team that's fine for Emo but how would Courtwood Club feel about this when weaker players are getting no look in.   

SCFC

Fair point. Minor in 2011 and 2012 and under 21 in 2013. Not sure about younger age groups to be fair and they probably have fallen back a little bit. Point still stands though. Underage success is cyclical.

Bueller

Quote from: SCFC on September 23, 2016, 11:05:59 AM
Fair point. Minor in 2011 and 2012 and under 21 in 2013. Not sure about younger age groups to be fair and they probably have fallen back a little bit. Point still stands though. Underage success is cyclical.
Have no fear buddies, plans are well in place for them to halt this slide, by fair or foul means.

Oblivion

I assume the weaker players on Courtwood and Emo would play in the Junior set ups.

As advised earlier it might take a year or two of pain but every player and team would find its level.

That said it hasn't happened and people have been talking about it for years I believe.

Only new to the area but there is a lot of people talking about it , the problem is its
in trenches and has not reached the officers mess yet.

Yes juvenile success is Cyclical but at every age level from under 12's up,  St. Pauls and Ballyroan
appear to be very strong. At least Cyclical you can deal with a monopoly of senior tiltles does noting
for the rest of the clubs   

Timmy

Quote from: Don Draper on September 23, 2016, 09:54:21 AM
Quote from: SCFC on September 22, 2016, 10:29:12 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on September 22, 2016, 01:55:16 PM
people seem to be thinking one or two underage teams are going to take down the Town. Seems a lot of pressure to put on a few U16's and Minors, some of whom may not even be playing the game in 5 years, and thats nothing to do with either Club, just natural drop off.

Nail on the head there. This year it's St Paul's. 5 years ago it was Killeshin Crettyard. 10 or 12 years ago it was Stradbally Parish Gaels. Underage success is cyclical. Apart from Portlaoise of course.
There's pros and cons to the argument of amalgamations but where it benefits the teams involved, and the players, then its something that maybe should be looked at in more detail. Noone's saying its for everyone. The Courtwood/Emo one seems a very logical one that has lots of support. Hesh's Umpire, from talking to a lot of people involved in the 3 clubs it does seem that this is the case.
Then they should bring it forward at a meeting.

I'd be surprised if it's as popular as you think el jefe. But as don says there is always an opportunity for people to bring it up at meetings.

El Jefe

It is, especially on the St Paul's end. Cant see it happening though unfortunately for them. It has been brought up a few times from what I can gather but that's as far as its got

Don Draper

Quote from: El Jefe on September 23, 2016, 03:21:35 PM
It is, especially on the St Paul's end. Cant see it happening though unfortunately for them. It has been brought up a few times from what I can gather but that's as far as its got
The St Pauls end? Who is the St Pauls end? Surely its Emo or Courtwood? I was under the impression St Pauls is merely a Juvenile grouping created to give football to players from both these clubs? Are St Pauls going to go it alone as an entity entirely?

El Jefe

No not at all, where did you get that from? :-\ I mean the St Paul's club in general (players, parents, coaches etc) are in favour of keeping the players together moving forward as an Emo/Courtwood amalgamation, basically what this whole thread has been about

Oblivion

I would assume it would have to be with the blessing of both clubs. I cant see St. Pauls going it alone
as in 5 years time you then have to try and amalgamate three Clubs.

The name is probably an issue for Emo and Courtwood as well and the easiest way would be to
rename it as St. Pauls or St. Pauls Gaels.

But there is probably more chance of Rangers and Celtic merging and the forum will have the
same questions in 5 years time and the boat will have sailed. 

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: El Jefe on September 23, 2016, 04:12:49 PM
No not at all, where did you get that from? :-\ I mean the St Paul's club in general (players, parents, coaches etc) are in favour of keeping the players together moving forward as an Emo/Courtwood amalgamation, basically what this whole thread has been about

Agree. I've heard a number of parents of Pauls players who feel that the amalgamation should be continued at adult level. Ideally, it should be the clubs joining up, rather than them operating under an Emo Gaels format. I think they could come together at intermediate level, yes?

clonadmad

Colt and Shanahoe to join up with ourselves.

Talks at a very advanced stage with u8's up to u21's hurling in the Jersey,being trained in Clonad and with the  club also supplying the mentors across all the age groups,a great boost for the club and also for hurling in the county.

SCFC

Quote from: El Jefe on September 23, 2016, 04:12:49 PM
They need to join the adult clubs then and make their views known. Not much point speculating about it, is there?

SCFC

Quote from: clonadmad on September 23, 2016, 05:57:06 PM
Colt and Shanahoe to join up with ourselves.

Talks at a very advanced stage with u8's up to u21's hurling in the Jersey,being trained in Clonad and with the  club also supplying the mentors across all the age groups,a great boost for the club and also for hurling in the county.
Clonad have joined with Park Ratheniska and Timahoe at underage hurling for years. Would this be leaving them in the lurch a bit?

clonadmad

We approached both colt and shanahoe before the start of this season with a view to forming a more concrete amalgamation for 8's up to u21's. We'd be also hoping to keep the Heath lads on board as they play hurling with us underage and we would'nt have any issues with our chaps playing football with them if they want.

As regards the other 2 clubs,unfortunately they contribute little in terms of mentors or input,even though they were always welcome to come over to watch us train their players in Clonad but we have to look after the needs of our own club first.