Primark fire in belfast

Started by imtommygunn, August 28, 2018, 10:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Jasus you men are ott... No one knows for sure what happened or how yet (unless it's out and I haven't heard it) it could have been anything from human error to faulty equipment, we just don't know yet. Ffs yous have it norrowed down to some apprentice from South Derry 🤔. Wise up, sure what you don't know make it up.
As for the paper work side of things.. The company I work for are so big into H&S you nearly need to do a risk assessment to take a sh*t, but all the paper work only reduces the risk but does not guarantee it won't happen...
What am I about to do?
What could go wrong?
How can I control the risk?
What can I do to reduce the risk?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Gabriel_Hurl

Saw these on Facebook this morning

red hander

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 30, 2018, 09:00:54 AM
Quote from: red hander on August 29, 2018, 05:48:39 PM
Believe the actual extension wasn't too badly affected by the blaze, if not the smoke. I would walk past it every night up Castle Street after midnight home from work and they would be still battering away, seemed a 24-hour job for the last year or so, plenty of south Derry boys judging by the accents. That being the case, hopefully they can rebuild quickly. There are a few empty buildings in city centre, maybe Primark can use one of them in meantime so nobody loses their job

How far did the extension go back down Castle Street, Red? From my view point this morning, looking down Fountain Street towards it, there seems to be considerable damage - certainly at roof level - just at the Fountain Street junction, which is a good bit back from the front.

Just going on reports I heard. It must be a fair size considering the amount of time they were working at it and the length of time Castle Street was down to one one-way lane. Think it might go beyond Fountain St junction, tbh

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: red hander on August 30, 2018, 04:13:05 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 30, 2018, 09:00:54 AM
Quote from: red hander on August 29, 2018, 05:48:39 PM
Believe the actual extension wasn't too badly affected by the blaze, if not the smoke. I would walk past it every night up Castle Street after midnight home from work and they would be still battering away, seemed a 24-hour job for the last year or so, plenty of south Derry boys judging by the accents. That being the case, hopefully they can rebuild quickly. There are a few empty buildings in city centre, maybe Primark can use one of them in meantime so nobody loses their job

How far did the extension go back down Castle Street, Red? From my view point this morning, looking down Fountain Street towards it, there seems to be considerable damage - certainly at roof level - just at the Fountain Street junction, which is a good bit back from the front.

Just going on reports I heard. It must be a fair size considering the amount of time they were working at it and the length of time Castle Street was down to one one-way lane. Think it might go beyond Fountain St junction, tbh

The original building goes back past fountain st, the extension was quite considerable going back further.

gallsman

45m cordon in place around the building could be in place for up to four months. Currently no businesses inside that can trade. BCC say they'll actively try to shrink the cordon.

I'm all for preserving old buildings but if that's how it's going to be, knock the fecking down asap. I doubt there'd be many complaints from Primark.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on September 06, 2018, 10:28:46 AM
45m cordon in place around the building could be in place for up to four months. Currently no businesses inside that can trade. BCC say they'll actively try to shrink the cordon.

I'm all for preserving old businesses but if that's how it's going to be, knock the fecking down asap. I doubt there'd be many complaints from Primark.

4 months is madness! I'd a fella from the department of Infrastructure in my place the other day (as there is a knock on problem with our buisness because of the fire) and he was explaining to me that they had hoped that the road will be open for in the next few weeks, Castle junction is a major road through the town, they'd hardly want that closed for 3/4 months!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Should be flattened. Belfast traders will feel the across the city not just those closed because of it. But sense never prevails in these situations. Someone is earning a tank of cash carrying out surveys and shite.

Orior

I'm into history and shit, and I think it should be flattened asap.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bennydorano

Who was yer man on BBCNI news yesterday, Jesus he wasn't impressed.

gallsman

Quote from: bennydorano on September 06, 2018, 04:12:13 PM

Was it the CEO of Argento, the jewellery store that can't open? Saw him on the BBC website.

lurganblue

Quote from: Orior on September 06, 2018, 03:09:37 PM

I agree. If it is a potential risk for 4 months then just flatten it and build something new and shiny.

general_lee

Quote from: gallsman on September 06, 2018, 04:13:12 PM

Was it the CEO of Argento, the jewellery store that can't open? Saw him on the BBC website.
My heart bleeds for this poor millionaire

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on September 06, 2018, 04:15:55 PM

I agree. If it is a potential risk for 4 months then just flatten it and build something new and shiny.

Will that not also create as much hassle? 4 months is a bit extreme to be honest, no where near that I'd assume
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2018, 04:37:23 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on September 06, 2018, 04:15:55 PM

Will that not also create as much hassle? 4 months is a bit extreme to be honest, no where near that I'd assume

Don't think so. I'm by no means an expert but surely you wouldn't need to cordon off such a large area while building a safe new structure.

gallsman

Quote from: general_lee on September 06, 2018, 04:21:28 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 06, 2018, 04:13:12 PM

My heart bleeds for this poor millionaire

Maybe you could consider the employment and well-being of the employees in the store, genius.