Laois Senior Hurling Championship 2019

Started by The PRO, February 28, 2019, 09:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof1915

Well done to rathdowney/Errill. Leaders all over the pitch. That's what it takes to win County finals.

Neutralobserver

st rynaghs came from the death in offaly to win yesterday so this will be an interesting game, be nice to see r/e getting a run in leinster,

Unlaoised

Poor game as was most of the fair on show in this year's championship .
Maybe the year the county players had took it's toll.

Rathdowney Errill were full value for the win .
Their backs were more organised and a lot braver on the ball.
Hitting hard when they needed to .

Ross had a good game he is a joy to watch in full flight.

They had some support there it seems to grow no other team/teams brings bigger support in hurling or football than R/E
LAOIS ABÚ

Mossy Bruce

A question from an outlander who's only started following club-level hurling, this year:

So with the Laois hurling championship over, do most Laois hurling fans (regardless of club) tend to support the winning club as they progress through the Leinster-level matches or is it pretty much just the winning club's ongoing supporters that shout for them during the provincial matches?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on October 22, 2019, 04:18:27 AM
A question from an outlander who's only started following club-level hurling, this year:

So with the Laois hurling championship over, do most Laois hurling fans (regardless of club) tend to support the winning club as they progress through the Leinster-level matches or is it pretty much just the winning club's ongoing supporters that shout for them during the provincial matches?

I think it is generally fair to say that the county champions get good support from other clubs although progression in Leinster has been quite poor from Laois clubs in the last 10 years. This is not necessarily because the clubs have been weak but that they have typically come up against strong opposition. For example, Clough-Ballacolla ran Oulart close in 2015 when Oulart won Leinster. Rathdowney were very competitive in 2006 and 2008 against Rathnure of Wexford and a Ballyhale team filled with superstars. They had a hurtful loss in 2012 to Kilcormac-Killoughy who went on and won Leinster where they were the better team and missed a fairly easy goal chance to win the game on the death. Lost after extra time to Kilmacud crokes in 2014 in Parnell park. Borris lost to Cuala in 2016 who went on and won the All-Ireland. Camross didn't do so well out of Laois losing well to St. Eanna's last year and Mount Leinster rangers of Carlow previously. In terms of support there was a bad taste in the mouths of many Laois people regarding Camross last year so not many neutral Laois people turned out to watch them however when they won Leinster in 1996 I remember huge crowds going to see them. Similarly when Castletown were dominant in the 90s they had significant support from outside the club. Some of their matches against Birr were classics. Portlaoise also got to a Leinster final and were well supported.

Sorry for the long winded answer! If it is a fine day in Portlaoise in 2 weeks there will probably be a good Laois crowd to watch RE against Banagher. With all the county lads on board it would be nice to get a win and most likely a crack at Cuala.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on October 22, 2019, 10:49:27 AM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on October 22, 2019, 04:18:27 AM
A question from an outlander who’s only started following club-level hurling, this year:

So with the Laois hurling championship over, do most Laois hurling fans (regardless of club) tend to support the winning club as they progress through the Leinster-level matches or is it pretty much just the winning club’s ongoing supporters that shout for them during the provincial matches?

Sorry for the long winded answer! ...

Not at all. I appreciate the background information. Thanks, blueandwhite.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

Few observations from the game.

Backs on both sides were dominant overall. PJ is a very reliable free taker but doesn't give enough from open play as opposed to Mark Kavanagh say.

Paddy Purcell is a beast of a man. He took a few heavy hits, one that we could hear under the scoreboard and still came back for more. He's a great athlete.

King got some lovely points and it begs the question as to how the final might have gone last year if he played for the full game.

John Purcell was excellent I thought.

It was great to hear both PAddy Purcell and Roddy King speak about giving Leinster a right go as they will be representing Laois. This was just after the game so it shows the mindset. Fair play to them and I hope they can beat St Rynaghs. They definately are best placed to compete in the Leinster club game.

The ref wasn't too bad for the game although I though their were times he could have blown sooner when things were getting heated at times.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

I learned a new word on Sunday from an oul lad I was standing beside at the game.

He told me that B/K and R/E were both 'mangalated' teams.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on October 23, 2019, 10:08:18 AM
I learned a new word on Sunday from an oul lad I was standing beside at the game.

He told me that B/K and R/E were both 'mangalated' teams.

Very successfully mangalated at that.

Mossy Bruce

AIB Leinster Club SHC 2019 Quarter Final

Sunday, 3 November 2019
Rathdowney Errill v St Rynagh's (Co. Offaly)
Portlaoise 2:30 PM

From: https://leinstergaa.ie/fixtures-results-2018/hurling/club/
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

clonadmad

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on October 29, 2019, 04:25:19 PM

Sunday, 3 November 2019

What's the feeling on this

I see the bookies have R/E at 2/1

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: clonadmad on October 29, 2019, 06:48:34 PM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on October 29, 2019, 04:25:19 PM

Sunday, 3 November 2019

What's the feeling on this

I see the bookies have R/E at 2/1

If R/E play like they did in the county final, with maybe a bit more ruthlessness in front of goals, I think they win. St Rynagh's will be a very good test for them though. The Offaly champions tend to do well in this competition.

blueandwhite1

I agree. If RE play well they should win. Rynaghs are well drilled and move the ball well but RE have better forwards. They will be confident after their county final win but I still think RE have more quality around the pitch. Weather supposed to be a bit like county final day but the sod should have recovered from the dry spell which would suit RE too. As was said, Offaly clubs have historically punched above their weight in this competition so it will be a battle. Hopefully there will be decent crowd.

welcomehome

Hopefully r/e will get a big support from laois...

LooseCannon

RE should win. Bit of infighting in the Rynagh's camp, coupled with Diarmuid Horan gone back out foreign. He made an impact in the final and semi for them from the bench.