Leinster Senior Football Championship 2020

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 07, 2020, 12:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

on the hop

Silkyskillssunshinee

Not a great start. Longford look well organised. I still fancy us to turn it around in the second-half though.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Sound on GAA GO way out of sync, what a shitty service..

Helix.

Listening on midlands 103 seem to be getting going. 2 points up with 8 mins left!

High Fielder

Happy with that. Division 2 status retained and beating Longford or Louth was all we could hope for this year. Playing Dublin is of no interest to me personally, but I'm sure the players enjoy the challenge.

recyclebin

GAAGO actually worked fine for me. First time in three Laois games this year that it wasn't jittery. Still waiting on my refund for the Fermanagh game though!

Staying up in division 2 and winning a Leinster quarter final would have met most peoples expectations for the year. We made it hard for ourselves but never gave up and pulled it out of the bag which is a always a good sign to see. Laois teams a few years ago would not have done that.

blueandwhite1

It was great to win the match. No matter what way you look at it and what comes next it was still a championship match that needed to be won.

Honestly, I was surprised we won watching how the game developed. Our side-to-side attack is painfully inept and toothless. The occasional cross ball to the full forward line worked at times but the scoring return wasn't great. Longford and Fermanagh found it fairly easy to defend against us. Hard to see where scores will come from against the Dubs. Similarly, Longford and Fermanagh were able to make better inroads into our disorganized defence. Our tackling and pressure was mostly dreadful. It got better in the second half when the tracking back was better. I thought we were probably fitter than Longford and Fermanagh. They seemed to drift out of the game badly in the last quarter where we got better.

on the hop

fair points, it was a battling performance much like the Fermanagh game and they seemed to have run out of steam near the end. Again the scoring rate wasn't the highest by us but bar a few wild shots the conversion rate is not bad. Once again blighted by a very slow start. it appeared that we started with the usual formation of an inside two , with Kingston junior floating and both lowry and barry occupying the wings. After that we seemed to be flooding the middle third with both Dillon and byrne following their men. for long periods, this structure was a mess between loosing kickouts and what appeared to be a real lack of pace down the sides. the space in front of our full back line was exploited by this and we were under pressure there for long periods. Timmons got on top but we still were giving up chances which Corbett saved the game with.

the substitutions made a big difference. o Flynn made a big difference on his wing and it looked like Piggott moved back towards the middle when o Sullivan came on, but the half back line with Dillon providing cover finished far better. Felt sorry for Lacey as his man was dropping off and stuck with neither an option to follower him or drop off. his man was on a lot of ball. Keogh again made a difference on the wing when he came on, this might have been made easier with the game breaking up but he was far better than both lowry and barry who were very poor.

you would hope the next day that lillis comes back in to try get some ball around midfield. reilly is a willing runner and will probably go to the wing. the foot passing will have to be better, there were some shocking efforts which gave up possession at times. its hard enough playing in a two man forward line with out horrible passes going in. on that, we didn't get gary into the game and evan served up his usual fare of been sublime, dangerous and then ridiculous. while he will always be a target of hits, but he will have to stop this rolling around. if he was 100 percent on the game he could do damage. I would love to see them have a cut next week in that they play to get some goals. anything is a bonus now.

blueandwhite1

We seem determined to slow the ball down in attack. The top teams deal with blanket defences by relentless running and attempting to break tackles. We just stop. You can't try to run through a blanket but you can at least get a little closer, draw them in and create space. The running from deep and the forward movement is fairly non existent and it seems that even if there isn't a blanket defence we give the opposition time to organize one by passing side to side. Not going to be fixed in the next week but needs to be a focus for 2021 if we want to stay in Div. 2. We don't have many marquee players these days but the way we play can compensate for that in some way.

on the hop

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on November 09, 2020, 11:26:58 AM
We seem determined to slow the ball down in attack. The top teams deal with blanket defences by relentless running and attempting to break tackles. We just stop. You can't try to run through a blanket but you can at least get a little closer, draw them in and create space. The running from deep and the forward movement is fairly non existent and it seems that even if there isn't a blanket defence we give the opposition time to organize one by passing side to side. Not going to be fixed in the next week but needs to be a focus for 2021 if we want to stay in Div. 2. We don't have many marquee players these days but the way we play can compensate for that in some way.

its a killer seeing some one with pace like Dillon turning back with the ball when he has a ten yards on a defender. we probably lack a genuine mobile midfielder to get ahead of the play in the forward line. the foot passing is also a big problem, bar paul Kingston. as for forward movement hopefully sean moore gets a run next year.

redsetanta

What would lads hopes be for the Dublin game? Or better still the expectations?

It's a bit of a bonus game as nobody would expect anything from it bar an easy win for the Dubs and by how much. PP odds for Dublin are 1/500.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laois Rising

Being realistic if we manage to give Dublin a game similar to what Westmeath did at weekend it would be a job well done. Be nice to end season with something to build upon for next year. I also Sean O'Flynn put his hand up for a starting spot the next day with his performance when coming on. Be interesting to see who goes on Kieran Kilkenny-if we can curtail his influence it would go along way from letting Dublin pull out of sight. I guessing Timmons will be tasked with marking Con O Callaghan-Mike Quirke strong in his praise of Timmons at weekend and rightly so-as good as any full back on the intercounty scene this last decade with little or no recognition outside of the county.   

High Fielder

Quote from: redsetanta on November 09, 2020, 12:08:52 PM
What would lads hopes be for the Dublin game? Or better still the expectations?

It's a bit of a bonus game as nobody would expect anything from it bar an easy win for the Dubs and by how much. PP odds for Dublin are 1/500.

You'd be hard pressed to find odds like that in any competitive sport. I'd say you'd get similar odds on Michael D taking on Conor Mcgregor. It really is a sham of a competition now in my opinion. The only good thing to come from this year is straight knock out. For over half the teams in the country, it at least gets the misery out the door quicker.

In sumary, I'd be happy under 15. What a thing to say.