Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayo51

knockmore 2.7  charlestown 2.6  5 min to go

mayo51

munnelly just kicked a close in free wide. tie game in injury time

Owenmoresider

Fair play to Stephenites, seemed to be a entertaining affair, and Ballagh' were found out eventually.

Draw 2-7 each.

Farrandeelin

Firstly, I want to say well done to Ballina, especially Ronan McGarrity. He was brilliant in the first half and equally as good in the second. It's brilliant to see him back to his best again. Fair play to ye, it felt weird cheering for Ballina but most Knockmore people were.

On to the Knockmore game, I felt we left it behind us. After possibly the worst first half ever to be seen we were leading by a point. It felt like a junior game at that stage. Thankfully the second half opened up a bit. Knockmore did what joemamas expected to, 'roughed up' Charlestown. Saying that though, Charlestown were very poor in front of goal, so were Knockmore but what everyone was talking about was how Charlestown hammered cross by so much. I felt Knockmore were the better team on the day but squandered opportunities as well. The defence was very good once again, despite conceding 2-7, none of the full back line can be faulted. John Brogan got man of the match.

Charlestown will probably win the replay. They can improve more than Knockmore and Kilcoyne went off with a hamstring injury and we also lost Stephen Sweeney. Ballina will win the final.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam

We definitely left it behind us in one fo the worst games i'v e seen in quiet a while.
3 poxed goals, 2 for ctown and one for knockmore.
Very few players on show that JOM would be thinking about calling up, the knockmore full back line and tiernan in midfield being the exceptions.
Neither team really deserved to win
What was absolutely diabolical was the ref, bad decisions on both sides, on a couple of occasions knockmore lads were fouled, no free then over carried and got their free.
Stephen sweeney was assaulted in the first half, dropped the ball and got a free against him for picking it up off the ground, equally bad decisions given against charlestown.
Hard to know who will win the replay but the pick of the 2 teams wouldn't beat ballina.
Casey, harte, mcgharrity were all excellent.
The full back line for ballina can all count themselves lucky to have made it thru the game.
DB was terrible in the first half then scores 2-1 in the second.
Ger brady missed all round him
Ballagh could have won at the death, long ball from hanley into andy moran, turned and beat clarke only for beast to save it with his shoulder, last move of the game
Ballina deserved to win though, savage midfield play and an incredible display by casey
fair play
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stephenite

Quote from: Barney on September 09, 2007, 04:44:28 PM
Congrats to Ballina. You have to hand it to them. It would have been worrying for Mayo football if they had not shown today considering the number of crucial Mayo lads they have.

Ballaghadereen were for some reasons, roaring favourites. Unbeaten in the league means nothing when most teams don't take it seriously.

stephenite

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 09, 2007, 10:06:09 PM
Hard to know who will win the replay but the pick of the 2 teams wouldn't beat ballina.

We won't be buying that one either, the first game and the replay will have no bearing on the County Final regardless of who eventually makes it through. Any team that can hammer Crossmolina are dangerous, and Knockmore are Knockmore. There'll be no easy County final for any team and that's they way it should be, praise Allah

guy crouchback

Great result for Ballina after what was without a doubt their best performance since the All Ireland final. Mc Garrity and Casey were vying for man of the match but others who deserve a mention would be Kenny golden, enda devanney, Brian ruane , Paul mc Garry and stephen Hughes.  David Brady's switch to full forward really paid off and gives the team another option.
Ballagh seemed to have bought into their own hype, once the Ballina defence put them under pressure their heads went and they started taking bad options, they just didn't seem to know what to do. Having said that they gave in a good go in the last 20 min and nearly pulled something out of the hat.
  one other point to mention is the ref. his performance yesterday was without a doubt the most incompetent i have ever witnessed. he was an absolute disgrace. he did everything in his power to ruin what was a great game.

stephenite

The boys on MWR seemed to be fairly baffled at a few of his decisions, most notbaly the penalty. Got a few messages saying the man from Islandeady shouldn't be let near Senior championship again

StoneWall

Quote from: stephenite on September 10, 2007, 12:00:28 PM
The boys on MWR seemed to be fairly baffled at a few of his decisions, most notbaly the penalty. Got a few messages saying the man from Islandeady shouldn't be let near Senior championship again

I have said previously on this board that Corcoran is a very poor ref, I can't understand why he gets so many senior championship games and is being groomed for intercounty. He reffed the ladies All Ireland final last year.

I suppose a shortage of refs mean that he'll continue to get big games in Mayo. He never lets the game flow.

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 09, 2007, 06:03:45 PM
Fair play to Stephenites, seemed to be a entertaining affair, and Ballagh' were found out eventually.

I wouldn't go that far and say Ballagh were found out. They are a good team that just did not perform on the day, alot of that was down to Ballina not letting them, but they still never got going on the day. The lack of a tough game all year really told on them. Why they were such favourites going into the game was always crazy, Ballina have a wealth of experience and every bit of it showed on Sunday, they slowed the game down at the end at every opportunity, the Ballagh lads were alot more naive but that will come with time. Ballina shouldl be favourites for the final even if they aren't as pumped up for it, which I doubt they will be. You could tell being underdogs hurt them and it's a while since I have seen them so hungry. Time will tell if that was a once off for the year or will they maintain that level in the final.

stephenite

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on September 11, 2007, 02:10:17 PM
Ballina shouldl be favourites for the final even if they aren't as pumped up for it, which I doubt they will be. You could tell being underdogs hurt them and it's a while since I have seen them so hungry. Time will tell if that was a once off for the year or will they maintain that level in the final.

1.Charlestown knocked us out when we were defending All Ireland, Connacht and County champions, after a replay. There will be no shortage of motivation if they make it through.
2.You will never have to try hard to get anyone representing the Stephenites motivated for playing Knockmore.
3.It's a County final.

Ballina Stephenites will be pumped up for this, if only for the reason I listed at no.3 above. 

mannix

Will there be any games played the weekend of the 28 september?

Farrandeelin

mannix, the Co final is due to be played on the 30th of September.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayo51

charlestown beat knockmore 0.17 to 0.10 today. stephen sweeny was sent off 3 min. into second half.