Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreverhopeful

ronaldson is more of a natural footballer but he is shocking small. Benson is a bit more aggressive and physically more imposing. Deserves to be on fbd panel at the least. Can't get over inclusion of barry kelly. It represents all that is bad about JOM. He is not good enough for midfield or half forward. My team for FBD:
D Clarke
O'Malley
Feeney
K Higgins
C Barrett
Lee Keegan
S Nally
                Parsons                     Harte
T Howley
G McDonagh
K Walsh
J Killen
B Moran
N Douglas

Terry Tate

He is from Crossmolina parish RGS. He went to school in the Moygownagh parish and played with his friends I suppose. I still feel Benson would offer more to mayo. He will score alot more, knows where the goal is and equally good off both feet.  He is also very aggressive in a good way. Badly needed if ya ask me.

Foreverhopeful

mayo really need a great corner forward/ full forward who is always a goal threat and will get 3/4 points a game. Cillian o connor looks a prospect but still very early days with him. Neil Douglas looks like he could offer something judging by his club form.  If we found one and got in a corner back (Michael walsh for minors looks a huge prospect) than we'd go places.could always try dillon in corner

Clarke

T Cunnife                     K Keane                  M Walsh

K Higgins                      G Cafferkey             J Burke/S Nally

McGarrity           J Cafferty/J kilcullen

Howley                            A Moran                Trev Mort

A' O Shea                        B Moran                  A Dillon

Possibilties:

Hennelly
K McLoughlin ( possible no. 7/10/11)
D kilcullen ( physically strong, what we need for no.6)
C Barrett ( maybe at no.5, Class act for minor + U-21, needs to rediscover this form this yr)
N Douglas
C Mort
A kilcoyne - this trio are all possible no. 13's
B Benson - no 15
J Keane - no. 2/4
C Freeman - no. 10/11/12
G Mcdonagh - no.8/9/10/12

macdanger2

Quote from: ballinaman on January 09, 2010, 02:09:00 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 08, 2010, 12:37:40 AM
Quote from: Terry Tate on January 07, 2010, 09:49:55 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on January 07, 2010, 04:34:33 AM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on January 06, 2010, 11:35:33 PM

Kelly was midfield for Ballagh, Cafferty was a sub for Cross!!!!
Would like to see Joe Keane, Freeman and Gibbons in there alright though. Are any of those lads are playing Sigerson?

Caff's involvment this year was limited until he finished his leaving cert. He picked up an injury during the summer but came on against Knockmore in the semi final, so that would explain why he was only a sub. He will be the best player cross will have for a long time.
Joe keane is not playing sigerson and it seems Benson is not the sort of player JOM wants around the place.(maybe they had a disagreement) He offers alot more than the likes of mark ronaldson or mikey sweeney though.

Horseshit.

Caff will be a fine player for Cross, great prospect, He's from Moygowna though I heard, anyone know if thats true?

He may well be a fine player but the fact remains that he was on the bench for Cross this year and as such it was always going to be difficult for him to make the county team. TBH I haven't seen much of him really but my impression is that he's handy enough although he might be lacking somewhat in terms of agression - could be because he's still young though.

Strange that Benson isn't in - wasn't he part of the squad last year??

Terry Tate

No that was two years ago. It seems that its true about a leopard not changing its spots. Well in JOM's eyes anyway

Tubberman

Hoganstand.com reporting that Trevor Mortimer has been re-appointed as captain for this year, with Peadar Gardiner as vice-captain again.

You can rarely fault Trevor for effort, the hope last year was this would inspire others around him. That's still the hope I suppose. It wasn't a great success against Meath, but we're not laden down with natural leaders so Trevor probably merits it again this year.

QuoteMortimer retains Mayo captaincy

11 January 2010

Trevor Mortimer will captain the Mayo footballers for a second successive year in 2010.

Mayo manager John O'Mahony confirmed yesterday morning that the Shrule/Glencorrib clubman will continue in the role after skippering the Westerners to their first Connacht SFC title in three years last summer.

A brother of fellow attacker Conor and former All-Star corner back Kenneth, Mortimer has been a mainstay of the Mayo team since making his debut 10 years ago. During that time, he has won three Connacht SFC medals (2004, 2006 and 2009), a National League medal (2001) and played in two All-Ireland finals (2004 and 2006).

Crossmolina's Peadar Gardiner, who shares a house with Mortimer in Tuam, has been installed as vice-captain.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

Seeing as we haven't that many leadersit's probably not a bad choice. The younger lads (e.g. Parsons/Howley/Caff) have enough to concentrate on trying to perform so wouldn't have given it to any of them really.

Could have been Dillon or A Moran either.

Tubberman

Congratulations and best of luck to Tony Duffy and his backroom team, where were confirmed as the new Mayo minor management team.
He will have a tough act to follow, after Dempey's got the minor's to two finals in a row.

Got this from the midwest website, nothing on the Mayo GAA site of course, their latest story is the minor team for the All-Ireland semi-final against Down  ::)

QuoteTONY DUFFY FROM BALLINTUBBER IS THE NEW MAYO MINOR FOOTBALL MANAGER.HIS APPOINTMENT WAS CONFIRMED AT LAST NIGHT'S MEETING OF THE COUNTY BOARD. TONY TAKES OVER FROM RAY DEMPSEY, WHO GUIDED THE MAYO MINORS TO ALL-IRELAND FINAL APPEARANCES IN THE LAST TWO YEARS.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

the Deel Rover

geat to see jinkin joe corcoran pick up the lifetime award in the western people sports awards . was talking to him today true gentleman and he still looks as fit a fiddle 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Foreverhopeful

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 12, 2010, 08:37:03 PM
geat to see jinkin joe corcoran pick up the lifetime award in the western people sports awards . was talking to him today true gentleman and he still looks as fit a fiddle

Great to see him get the award. The young lad that got the award for golf is Joe s grandson.

Foreverhopeful

John forde's grandson picking up boxing award.

spuds

Savage stuff lasd delighted to hear Duffy getting the reckogniton great times at Ballintubber Congrats Toni
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: spuds on January 13, 2010, 01:15:11 AM
Savage stuff lasd delighted to hear Duffy getting the reckogniton great times at Ballintubber Congrats Toni

Good to see Mayo breaking new ground by putting a woman in charge of an inter-county male team. Cora to take over from Johnno anyone?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ballinaman

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 13, 2010, 11:21:49 PM
Quote from: spuds on January 13, 2010, 01:15:11 AM

Good to see Mayo breaking new ground by putting a woman in charge of an inter-county male team. Cora to take over from Johnno anyone?
They'd be able to break a tackle or two if she got hold of them i'd say! :D :P (muppet will find a pun there no doubt  :D)