Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Jeez lads we've been through this for donkeys years. Run a decent team close or get a big win and it appears to be an upwards trajectory only to be brought back to earth with a bang. If you look at a 10 year trend you'll probably find that Antrim are at their level despite the short term peaks and troughs.

saffronbhoy

I think people are being very harsh. Beating Offaly last week did not make us world beaters while losing this week does not make us that bad. The Joe McDonagh is a great tournament where all teams are very equal, we just had a bad day, just like Westmeath had when losing to Kerry. This is the most positive I've been about an Antrim hurling setup in a long time. Some fabulous young players have stepped up this season and are only going to get better. McNaughton and the two Molloys are the best prospects I've seen coming thru In Antrim hurling in quite a while.

ardtole

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2019, 10:59:46 PM
Quote from: old timers on June 08, 2019, 10:06:46 PM
That's a real sad thought 5-10 years.  I'll not see it unfortunately😩. Would love to think we could bring someone in whether it be inside or outside of Antrim that could give us a bit of hope. The county board should get their act together now and see if there is anyone interested in making a difference to Antrim hurling - give plenty of time to try and find someone not just appointing the same people Over again.

Ok I'll bite, what could have made the difference with what we had? Wh were better and even with the best manager and all players available we'd have still lost, obviously you know different, so expand on you post please

My interpretation of what old timer is suggesting,  is should the Antrim county board put their resources into recruiting a high profile Davy Fitz, Anthony Daly type manager. Similar to the wexford county boards approach when they hired Davy Fitz and Banty for their Hurlers and footballers.

It could be argued that the wexford Hurlers were on a slippery slope similar to Offaly at present and Davy has steadied the ship and made them competitive without really challenging at the business end of the championship.

The footballers were coming from div 4 and Banty was probably as high profile a manager they were capable of recruiting but he made no impact at all.

Antrims geographical location makes it even harder to recruit the elite coaches. Laois were able to get Eddie Brennan this year and it has worked out well, but after his stint with Kilkenny u21s, I personally thought it was a gamble, but I've been proved wrong.

Imo getting a high profile candidate is a short term fix, and if there are stronger structures in place at underage level this should eventually feed through to the seniors, similar to what happened in Clare and Limerick in recent years.

I watched the game on gaanow and the facilities in Dunloy look top class.

imtommygunn

Quote from: saffronbhoy on June 09, 2019, 01:37:54 AM
I think people are being very harsh. Beating Offaly last week did not make us world beaters while losing this week does not make us that bad. The Joe McDonagh is a great tournament where all teams are very equal, we just had a bad day, just like Westmeath had when losing to Kerry. This is the most positive I've been about an Antrim hurling setup in a long time. Some fabulous young players have stepped up this season and are only going to get better. McNaughton and the two Molloys are the best prospects I've seen coming thru In Antrim hurling in quite a while.

The most frustrating thing yesterday was that we played terribly and had so many unforced errors all round the field. I think Westmeath are a good bit better than us but we just didn't play at all. There were a number of times we handed them the ball - literally.

I would not agree with the criticism of management. I think we have a lot of players who have come on well this year and we are in a better place as you say but it is still disappointing how we played.

Physical strength wise we are a long way off. That would be my main concern.

Fitzgerald will burn Wexford out and came into Wexford when they had just come off the back of some fantastic underage teams. A boy like him would not be the answer.

imtommygunn

McManus a pundit on the Sunday game today.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2019, 01:11:50 PM

A sop to the "no coverage of Joe McDonagh" but yeah he has been relentlessly raising his profile for a few years now so fair play to him. Would say southerners couldn't name another Antrim player
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 09, 2019, 01:33:35 PM
A sop to the "no coverage of Joe McDonagh" but yeah he has been relentlessly raising his profile for a few years now so fair play to him. Would say southerners couldn't name another Antrim player

Quite a few northerners couldn't name many more either
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

old timers

Quote from: ardtole on June 09, 2019, 07:20:19 AM
That's a real sad thought 5-10 years.  I'll not see it unfortunately😩. Would love to think we could bring someone in whether it be inside or outside of Antrim that could give us a bit of hope. The county board should get their act together now and see if there is anyone interested in making a difference to Antrim hurling - give plenty of time to try and find someone not just appointing the same people Over again.

Ok I'll bite, what could have made the difference with what we had? Wh were better and even with the best manager and all players available we'd have still lost, obviously you know different, so expand on you post please

My interpretation of what old timer is suggesting,  is should the Antrim county board put their resources into recruiting a high profile Davy Fitz, Anthony Daly type manager. Similar to the wexford county boards approach when they hired Davy Fitz and Banty for their Hurlers and footballers.

It could be argued that the wexford Hurlers were on a slippery slope similar to Offaly at present and Davy has steadied the ship and made them competitive without really challenging at the business end of the championship.

The footballers were coming from div 4 and Banty was probably as high profile a manager they were capable of recruiting but he made no impact at all.

Antrims geographical location makes it even harder to recruit the elite coaches. Laois were able to get Eddie Brennan this year and it has worked out well, but after his stint with Kilkenny u21s, I personally thought it was a gamble, but I've been proved wrong.

Imo getting a high profile candidate is a short term fix, and if there are stronger structures in place at underage level this should eventually feed through to the seniors, similar to what happened in Clare and Limerick in recent years.

The manager doesn't have to be high profile at all just someone that would inject new life/ideas into the team and try to bring about more than one or two wins.   High profile would be a bonus!! And yes let's face it who wants to travel the length of Ireland to go training twice/three times a week unless it's for a large sum of money.   I know our capabilities and I know certainly we aren't world beaters but trying to reinvent the wheel with the same tools (no pun intended) just isn't working.  Yesterday was like Groundhog Day.    A win here or there just isn't enough for a proud County like Antrim. Being a half decent hurler most certainly does not make you a good manager/coach unfortunately that's been proven.  I wish I knew what the answer was but I do know that sidewards or backward moves aren't it.

clootfromthe21

I disagree. If it takes 10 years, it takes 10 years.

For too long, we have chased the quick fix of an elite manager for the senior team. That just isn't the answer.

When was the last time an Antrim minor team won a game of note? 1979 when we reached a Leinster final?

Was at the Antrim Kildare minor game earlier this year and Kildare simply blew us away in both physique and touch. That team is now playing a Leinster semi final for the first time in their history and is the result of years of work at underage - not an elite manager being appointed over the Kildare senior team.

Naas have played Division 1 in the Feile for the last number of years - when (if ever) have an Antrim team played Division 1? For the last couple of years, we haven't even entered a team in the Forrestal but have played in the B competition.

It's simply not realistic to think that someone can "fix" our senior team - we have to start producing at underage or we are at nothing.

Quote from: old timers on June 09, 2019, 02:13:01 PM

The manager doesn't have to be high profile at all just someone that would inject new life/ideas into the team and try to bring about more than one or two wins.   High profile would be a bonus!! And yes let's face it who wants to travel the length of Ireland to go training twice/three times a week unless it's for a large sum of money.   I know our capabilities and I know certainly we aren't world beaters but trying to reinvent the wheel with the same tools (no pun intended) just isn't working.  Yesterday was like Groundhog Day.    A win here or there just isn't enough for a proud County like Antrim. Being a half decent hurler most certainly does not make you a good manager/coach unfortunately that's been proven.  I wish I knew what the answer was but I do know that sidewards or backward moves aren't it.

marty34

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on June 09, 2019, 02:41:01 PM
I disagree. If it takes 10 years, it takes 10 years.

For too long, we have chased the quick fix of an elite manager for the senior team. That just isn't the answer.

When was the last time an Antrim minor team won a game of note? 1979 when we reached a Leinster final?

Was at the Antrim Kildare minor game earlier this year and Kildare simply blew us away in both physique and touch. That team is now playing a Leinster semi final for the first time in their history and is the result of years of work at underage - not an elite manager being appointed over the Kildare senior team.

Naas have played Division 1 in the Feile for the last number of years - when (if ever) have an Antrim team played Division 1? For the last couple of years, we haven't even entered a team in the Forrestal but have played in the B competition.

It's simply not realistic to think that someone can "fix" our senior team - we have to start producing at underage or we are at nothing.

Quote from: old timers on June 09, 2019, 02:13:01 PM

I agree. Money should be pumped into underage development.  Not into a high profile manager who'll come in for a year or two then disappear into the sunset.   

When I mean pumped in, I mean in a structured way.  Fund the underage squads.  Like clubs, I never understand why clubs, in both hurling and football, pay big sums of money to outside 'one year wonder' managers yet underage coaches are using 5 year old ripped bibs and lack of equipment.. I know it's businesses the fund these managers but a quiet word in the ear would do no harm.

Jesusjones

Last year we lost every game and ended up in a relegation play off. This year we won 2 games and had a chance of making the final. How is that not an improvement? Outside managers cost a fortune and are only interested in promoting themselves. 

Antrim Coaster

When I heard the Leinster Minor result v Kildare a few weeks ago my heart sank. Then I realised that Antrim hurling has been slipping slowly but surely over the past 10-15 years especially at underage level with the exception of the underage victory in the Celtic Challenge a few years ago.

The last time Antrim competed at minor level was when Sambo and Woody were in charge when they put it up to both Limerick and Galway.

At senior level we are where we are for a number of reasons and the Joe McDonagh is the level we are at and will probably remain for a few years.

As was mentioned, Antrim's geographical location does no favours in the search for a Leinster or Munster coach / manager. There really isn't much point in employing a manager from down the country at present. Antrim as a hurling county are going to have to do this themselves. The sooner a lot of people in the Antrim hurling fraternity realise that we are going to have to build from scratch the better.

I think it has started with the present hurling management. Neal Peden is going to need time to steady the ship, develop the team and to put his own stamp on it.

There are some excellent hurlers presently on that team, but on Saturday I noticed the lack of lads from Belfast clubs with the exception of a couple. Surely a cause for concern there.

The Gaelfast initiative is a start - better half a loaf than no loaf.  The county now have secured this funding and have put this plan into place. It is now up to everyone in the clubs to grasp this opportunity and run with it.

There is no quick fix. It will take time but in the end it can only benefit the GAA in Antrim in the long run if everyone sings off the same hymn sheet.   

imtommygunn

We had a competitive minor team round 05 06 07 with mcmanus graffiti mcnaughton etc We should have beat limerick and we're unlucky to get beat by a point. They went on to get beat by a Joe canning lead Galway in the final.

We also gave kilkenny a real rattle about 96 with Brian mcfall and kieran jelly outstanding.

We do seem to be slipping but I do think there is a lot of potential in some of the young players in the current team.

Also u21 final not that many years ago while I remember.

Tyrdub

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 09, 2019, 01:33:35 PM

I actually thought Neil spoke very well, certainly one of the better punditry performances recently

Antrim Coaster

First northern hurling pundit since Ciaran Barr way back in the 90's.

Thought Neil spoke well and certainly wasn't overawed by Dalo and Donal Óg.