Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Raymond was a good a minor down as we've probably ever seen. Unfortunately it just wasn't to be.

I thought it was David as he's still playing, I don't think Raymond has kicked a ball in years now.

ONeill

Canavan did fcuk all for Killyclogher hurlers at senior level despite a lot of noise around him at minor.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: ONeill on July 01, 2020, 09:56:29 AM
Canavan did fcuk all for Killyclogher hurlers at senior level despite a lot of noise around him at minor.
Seanie Johnston got a minute of playtime with Coill Dubh hurlers in Kildare. Couldn't hack it.

Angelo

I don't think Raymond Mulgrew really wanted it enough, Coney was pretty honest in an interview a couple of years back that he didn't work hard enough or apply himself correctly in his early years on the panel and thought that his talent alone was enough. Ronan O'Neill just didn't have the physicality to show it at senior level and had a very serious injury at 19.

I think people underestimate how difficult it is to do what Conor McKenna has done, go over at 18 and take up a sport he never played and excel at it. You probably have around 10 GAA players who sign a rookie contract on an annual basis. There's only really 4 well established players plucked from the GAA, Tuohy, Hanley, McKenna and O'Connor that are regulars or key players. I think you have a few guys like Nash, Glass and O'Riordan now who might be making a breakthrough too but the % who succeed is very low and I have absolutely no doubt that if the likes of McKenna or O'Connor returned to their respective counties now they'd both be absolutely key players for them and be likely to be in the all star hunt. Hanley and Tuohy are unlikely to come back at this stage in their careers with both in their 30s.

Clarke and Kennelly are the only two players who returned from the AFL after making it there and both proved themselves on their return as key players.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Club boi

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 29, 2020, 09:13:39 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 29, 2020, 07:08:25 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 29, 2020, 06:12:14 PM
McKenna was no more a prospect than Mulgrew, Coney or O'Neill were.  The odds were on him going more like them than becoming a superstar.  Tyrone's style doesn't lend itself to allowing players to flourish.

Come off it.

McKenna is by far and away the biggest prospect since Cavanagh.

Coney relied on his size at underage level and that didn't carry through to senior. O'Neill didn't have the physicality to make it.

McKenna is the complete package, he is an absolutely formidable athlete and a fantastic footballer too.

Very, very few cut the mustard over there. The only two that succeeded over there and returned to GAA briefly were Kennelly and Clarke. Kennelly won an all star and AI with Kerry in his one year back and Clarke brought Down to an AI final, won and all star and probably should have footballer of the year.

He becomes the main man for Tyrone if he comes home.

This Coney size thing is over-rated too.  Its not like he was fetching balls from the sky 10 times a game etc, he was slightly above average height  but he wasn't exactly massive.  When you look at Aidan O'Shea, that was a man playing amongst boys that year.  His physicality was something else.  What stood out from Coney was his skill on the ball, not his size or strength.  O'Neill was brilliant in the 2010 All Ireland team, and both he, Mulgrew and Coney had as much, if not more, hype around them probably than McKenna, as they carried teams to the ultimate prize.  As for him coming back, he has been programmed differently now and won't be the player he could have been.  Most players come back different, look at Mooney - main man on the Down underage teams and scoring machine, now a wing back who is average enough.  Same with Clarke, was a completely different player when he came back, not as potent.

Ahhhhhh come on hi.
Mooney is a fantastic stand out player in a very average Down team. Would improve every team bar Dublin, would walk onto a Tyrone half back line
Clarke came back just in time before injuries completly wrecked him and was outstanding as a playmaker

sam03/05

Raymond Mulgrew was nominated for an All Star in 2006 or 2007.
He was as talented a player as the county has ever produced at underage level.
His performances for Dungannon Academy in MacRory / Hogan was exceptional.
Brilliant man of the match performance in the 2004 AI minor final, also won a Sigerson with UUJ as well. Just never worked out at senior level for one reason or other.

tyrone08

Maybe it would be better in looking to see where yhe next talent is going to come from instead of past failed hopefuls. Any word on darragh or Lee brennan?

Angelo

Quote from: tyrone08 on July 01, 2020, 05:40:31 PM
Maybe it would be better in looking to see where yhe next talent is going to come from instead of past failed hopefuls. Any word on darragh or Lee brennan?

Not sure if we'll see Lee Brennan in a Tyrone jersey again. He's got all the talent but not sure his willingness to adapt for the team and his size make him compatible with the modern team. We have the likes of Bradley, McCurry, possibly McAliskey to come back at some point who offer that little bit more in terms of their work rate and movement and provide a similar scoring threat. We then have guys like Canavan, T Quinn and a few other promising forwards of a similar variety coming through. He didn't have the appetite to battle it out for his place last year and I only see the competition for those places increasing.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tyrone08

Quote from: Angelo on July 01, 2020, 07:01:24 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 01, 2020, 05:40:31 PM

Not sure if we'll see Lee Brennan in a Tyrone jersey again. He's got all the talent but not sure his willingness to adapt for the team and his size make him compatible with the modern team. We have the likes of Bradley, McCurry, possibly McAliskey to come back at some point who offer that little bit more in terms of their work rate and movement and provide a similar scoring threat. We then have guys like Canavan, T Quinn and a few other promising forwards of a similar variety coming through. He didn't have the appetite to battle it out for his place last year and I only see the competition for those places increasing.

Had actually forgot about Bradley. Would like to see McAliskey back next year. Combination of him, mcshane and Bradley would be good. I thought Lee played well he had 1 or 2 poor games but overall thought he was a very talented player.

In the next 1 or 2 years it will be interesting to see if many players come back to tyrone if this is mickeys last year

omagh_gael

Is there a date set for the u20 sf against Dublin?

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 01, 2020, 10:50:18 PM
Is there a date set for the u20 sf against Dublin?
Semi Final Saturday 17th October and the final is the following saturday the 24th.

RedHand88

Gaagaagaa20

trailer

It's a shitty headline.. he's not exactly a Tyrone GAA Star. Did he even play a championship game?