Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: CJ2017 on January 19, 2018, 10:52:55 AM
Surely if Dublin make the Top 8 this year the away/outside Croke park game would be a sell out.
I believe the group this year if Dublin won Leinster would involve the Ulster Champs,
Munster Runner up (or team that beats them in qualifiers) and Connacht Runners up (or
team that beats them)

The Super 8 replaces the quarter finals. So instead of 4 games, we have 12 games. Those additional 8 games will give a significant boost (in the first couple of years at least - maybe longer) to the total amount. No doubt about it.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2018, 10:32:15 AM
I did a bit of digging. Total attendances are down every year (in football) since 2007 or so. There was a massive spike in 2001/2 after the qualifiers were introduced (as you'd expect).

Since the Leinster Championship has turned into a procession, the total numbers have slipped 28%.

Hurling is pretty steady, and of course this year, with the Super 8s and the Round Robin in munster, the GAA can point to the top level number and say 'See, people love the way we do stuff'.

The average attendances have largely been slumping since the qualifiers were brought in, which was one of my arguments against the qualifiers. The bank doesn't count averages though, it just wants to see the total revenue.

Even at that though, it's noticeable that the total figure has been declining steadily since about 2006, after the initial qualifier bounce, to the extent that the total figure in 2016 was 788,746, with 60 games, whereas in 2000, the final pre-qualifier year, the total was 686,553, with only 35 games.
The qualifiers in 01 brought the total to 1.08 million. The qualifier effect has disappeared..
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on January 19, 2018, 11:01:31 AM
I did a bit of digging. Total attendances are down every year (in football) since 2007 or so. There was a massive spike in 2001/2 after the qualifiers were introduced (as you'd expect).

Since the Leinster Championship has turned into a procession, the total numbers have slipped 28%.

Hurling is pretty steady, and of course this year, with the Super 8s and the Round Robin in munster, the GAA can point to the top level number and say 'See, people love the way we do stuff'.

The average attendances have largely been slumping since the qualifiers were brought in, which was one of my arguments against the qualifiers. The bank doesn't count averages though, it just wants to see the total revenue.

Even at that though, it's noticeable that the total figure has been declining steadily since about 2006, after the initial qualifier bounce, to the extent that the total figure in 2016 was 788,746, with 60 games, whereas in 2000, the final pre-qualifier year, the total was 686,553, with only 35 games.
The qualifiers in 01 brought the total to 1.08 million. The qualifier effect has disappeared..

It has, but only since th mid 00s, it wasn't an immediate slump, which is what i thought you were saying originally.

rosnarun

I would love if the GAA built an ultra modern all seater Stadium for about 10-15K with floodlights and artificial pitch some where in the Midland. would get a lot of use as most midland pitches are dumps and rarely filled  newbridge, Mullingar  , longford  navan hyde park etc are not fit for purpose at the moment .
Im sure the LGFA would make great use of it as well as inter county club games
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

What's wrong with Mullingar? And Tullamore is a fine setup. Portlaoise is grand too.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on January 19, 2018, 10:06:21 AM
Total attendances are down 28% since 2001.
The GAA has really missed Galway.
Per match attendances are way down too.
Are those 90 Galway season ticket holders would make all the difference😆
I suspect the Connacht Council are praying feverishly that Mayowestros will reach the Connacht Final this year. 15k extra X  €35 .....
So far ye've  blamed the Qualifiers and Dublin dominance (plus no new teams breaking through).
There's also the fact that throwball has ruined the game as a spectacle.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tonto1888

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2018, 11:15:41 AM
What's wrong with Mullingar?

they don't like away fans coming and drinking their beer and filling their stadium

CJ2017

Quote from: rosnarun on January 19, 2018, 11:14:45 AM

I would love if the GAA built an ultra modern all seater Stadium for about 10-15K with floodlights and artificial pitch some where in the Midland. would get a lot of use as most midland pitches are dumps and rarely filled  newbridge, Mullingar  , longford  navan hyde park etc are not fit for purpose at the moment .
Im sure the LGFA would make great use of it as well as inter county club games

Have a look at the plans for Pairc Tailteann - intended capacity 20-22k
http://meath.gaa.ie/proposed-redevelopment-pairc-tailteann-public-consultation/

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: CJ2017 on January 19, 2018, 10:52:55 AM
Surely if Dublin make the Top 8 this year the away/outside Croke park game would be a sell out.
I believe the group this year if Dublin won Leinster would involve the Ulster Champs,
Munster Runner up (or team that beats them in qualifiers) and Connacht Runners up (or
team that beats them)
would the Dubs help fill McHale Park, the Hyde or Salthill?

rosnarun

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2018, 11:15:41 AM
What's wrong with Mullingar? And Tullamore is a fine setup. Portlaoise is grand too.
tullamore is excellent . portlaoise is so so  . I didn't mention either .
Mullingar is an absolute kip, stand takes about 300 people last league match I went to there it was full 10 mins after ground was opened and they continued to let people in out of the rain .
felt very dangerous a bit like hyde park but on a slightly smaller scale.
I feel a maller topclass stadium would add a whole new dimension,
maybe the ladies should buklid it the government would hadve a hard time not fully backing it after all they have given to mens sports
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

slippery dodger

An attendance of 3,544 at the Walsh Cup hurling final between Wexford and Kilkenny at Nowlan Park today

Rossfan

Couldn't find anywhere else for this

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/research-flags-modern-explosion-in-hand-passing-466288.html

Not too long ago some Committee told us that throwball was reducing!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

naka

Armagh's hey day

Truth though as long as  the Dublin bandwagon rolling Croke Park don't care that's gaa dying in rest of the country
Interest is falling off drastically.
I am involved in two clubs and drop off substantial

From the Bunker

and Meath, and Kildare, and Cork, and Armagh, and all the small counties who gave a damn back then!

APM

It's a number of things:
Not as good to watch
The blanket means that as a spectacle the game isn't as good.  I don't care what anyone says, but this business of passing the ball around in an arc around the 50 is not as good to watch as quick ball into a the full forward line, with guys like Mickey Linden, Marsden, Canavan and McDonnell out in front of their marker and taking on their men.  We just don't see as much of this in today's game as 2001.

Perception and negativity
Why would I be bothered going to games if the so-called experts keep telling me that the product is rubbish.  Notwithstanding what I have said above, I still get a kick out of watching football and we still have some fantastic games, but when the very pundits that you would expect to be promoting the game on TV are saying that every game is shite, it's little wonder attendances are falling.  The amount of negativity surrounding the games is at an all time high and it is now in vogue at all levels, from pundits down to club level, to criticise county football. 

Hammerings
In 2001 there were some hammerings, but I don't think there were so many as there are now.  Leinster was competitive.  Ulster, despite the fact that two teams dominated from 1999 to 2010, was still competitive.  Dublin matches now literally aren't worth watching until they reach the Semi-Final or Final.  They are playing at a professional level.   

Over Exposure
I remember thinking that with so many games televised and so much coverage back around 04, that supporters would lap it up for a while, but that eventually people would take it for granted and less would do them. Take the first Ulster Final that went to HQ in 2004.  There was 60,000 there.  Only 30,000 for the Ulster Final Replay in '05.  The qualifier effect was alive and well, with Sligo, Fermanagh, Limerick, Derry, Donegal getting good runs.  There were loads of novel pairings - I remember Sligo and Kildare I think attracting a great crowd on a Saturday night around '04.

Half Empty Stadiums
There is rarely a decent atmosphere in a half-full Croke Park.  It looks terrible on TV and exacerbates the notion that we have a poor product.  I cannot understand organisers taking smallish games to big stadiums.  Better to have a small ground filled to capacity, because the atmosphere is all part of the product.