2 Dún na nGall 6 4 2 0 86 68 8
3 Ard Mhacha 5 3 2 0 72 55 6
4 Cill Dara 6 3 3 0 76 77 6
5 Laois 6 3 3 0 82 86 6
6 An Mhí 6 3 3 0 70 78 6
7 Tiobraid Árann 5 1 3 1 59 72 3
8 An Iarmhí 5 0 5 0 61 94 0

Relegated: Westmeath

If Tipp are beaten tomorrow they will join Westmeath.

Down need 1 point from 2 games to gain promotion

If Armagh beat Tipp as expected they will have a shoot out in Ballybofey to see who goes up.

No they don't. With the defeats of Meath and Kildare tonight they're already up. Only Armagh and Donegal can reach or better 9 points, and they play each other in the final round. Even if both finish on 9, Down will still be ahead by virtue of the head to heads.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: AFS on March 27, 2010, 10:33:06 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 27, 2010, 09:32:30 PM
1 An Dun 5 4 0 1 74 50 9
5 Laois 6 3 3 0 82 86 6
6 An Mhí 6 3 3 0 70 78 6

If Armagh beat Tipp as expected they will have a shoot out in Ballybofey to see who goes up.

No they don't. With the defeats of Meath and Kildare tonight they're already up. Only Armagh and Donegal can reach or better 9 points, and they play each other in the final round. Even if both finish on 9, Down will still be ahead by virtue of the head to heads.

Well if what's stated above is correct, the head to head rule only comes into force if there are 2 teams level. So in theory, Down could lose both their remaining matches by a combined tally of 7 points, Armagh could beat Tipp, draw with Donegal and Armagh and Donegal would go up.

Possible, albeit very unlikely. But sure we can always hope.  :) ;)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2010, 10:05:20 PM
well that had to be the most awful game of football I have ever witnessed absolute rubbish from both sides Laois were the less rubbish and deserved their win. Have absolutely no idea where Kildare are heading, very disturbing...

Thoroughly enjoyed it meself  ;)
In fairness, Laois weren't that awful, just our finishing (of goal chances in particular). It could have been a right hiding if we had put away a number of open goal chances.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

AFS

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 27, 2010, 10:48:30 PM
1 An Dun 5 4 0 1 74 50 9
5 Laois 6 3 3 0 82 86 6
6 An Mhí 6 3 3 0 70 78 6

Well if what's stated above is correct, the head to head rule only comes into force if there are 2 teams level. So in theory, Down could lose both their remaining matches by a combined tally of 7 points, Armagh could beat Tipp, draw with Donegal and Armagh and Donegal would go up.

Hmmm, when head to head records are preeminent criteria for sorting teams level on points then surely if one team has a better head to head record than all other teams with the same points total they should expect to be placed above these teams. It would only make sense to discard the head to head criteria if things got messy with a lot of teams level on points who've all beaten each other. But the sensible way is not the GAA way.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 27, 2010, 10:48:30 PM
1 An Dun 5 4 0 1 74 50 9
5 Laois 6 3 3 0 82 86 6
6 An Mhí 6 3 3 0 70 78 6

Ya, that's correct. Down are not officially promoted because there's a (very unlikely) scenario that could see both Armagh and Donegal finish ahead of them. When there are 3 team son the same points, head to head is not counted, even if one team has beaten both of the others.

Down should seal it tomorrow though.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: AFS on March 27, 2010, 11:06:37 PM

Hmmm, when head to head records are preeminent criteria for sorting teams level on points then surely if one team has a better head to head record than all other teams with the same points total they should expect to be placed above these teams. It would only make sense to discard the head to head criteria if things got messy with a lot of teams level on points who've all beaten each other. But the sensible way is not the GAA way.

I don't disagree but if what Dinny posted is correct then they seem to have made the head-to-head rule for 2 teams only. In the Champions League if 3 teams finished level they'd effectively have a mini-table of those 3 teams results against each other.

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 27, 2010, 12:59:03 PM
This will be relevant for this thread I think

26 March 2010

The GAA wishes to confirm that where Teams in the National Leagues finish on equal points the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:

(i) Where two Teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two Teams in the previous game in the Competition;

(ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For);

(iii) Highest Total Score For;

(iv) A Play-Off.

Exceptions:
In relation to means (ii) and (iii) above, if the accumulated scores of a team, so involved, are affected by a disqualification, loss of game on a proven objection, retirement or walk over, the tie shall be decided by a Play-Off.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

well that had to be the most awful game of football I have ever witnessed absolute rubbish from both sides Laois were the less rubbish and deserved their win. Have absolutely no idea where Kildare are heading, very disturbing...

I have absolutely no idea what we're at at all this year Dinny. Apart from Thurles and the Donegal match we've been piss poor and regressed significantly from the last two years. The team looks like they've never played with each other before.

A few questions I'd like to ask:

-Why is Kevin O'Neill continually overlooked when we are crying out for someone with a bit of presence about them in the full-back line?
-Why was David Whyte left on for the full game? The lad works hard but he couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo.
-Why didn't Flynn start? Surely if he's deemed fit enough to come on in the first half he could have started.
-Was Paul Grimley that significant to the set-up?
-When is Smith going to be reintroduced?
-When is Mikey Conway back?
-Who has kidnapped the real Johnny Doyle?
-How bad is Dermot's injury?
-Is there anyone on the junior panel that could come in and shake things up a bit?

Worrying times. We can't just flick a switch and expect things to fall into place for the summer.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

The Real Laoislad

You were at a different game than I was so. ::)
The work rate of Laois was tremendous tonight,and we made Kildare look very ordinary.

Should have won by at least 8 points in the end but we will take any sort of a win over your lot  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AFS

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 27, 2010, 11:11:32 PM
I don't disagree but if what Dinny posted is correct then they seem to have made the head-to-head rule for 2 teams only. In the Champions League if 3 teams finished level they'd effectively have a mini-table of those 3 teams results against each other.

Yeah the wee mini league sounds like it would make more sense, and by the way things seem to be being made up as we go along it could happen yet. Probably all academic anyway as you'd imagine Down will have enough for a Westmeath team now with nothing to play for.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on March 27, 2010, 11:19:02 PM

You were at a different game than I was so. ::)
The work rate of Laois was tremendous tonight,and we made Kildare look very ordinary.

Should have won by at least 8 points in the end but we will take any sort of a win over your lot  :)

Welcome back LL.

Fair play to ye're boys tonight they were well up for it and were much more willing to put their bodies on the line and they owed us one from Tullamore last summer.

However, the general standard of football was woeful especially from ourselves and from Laois to a lesser extent. I'm starting to buy into this theory that Leinster football is miles behind the rest of the country. The Dubs and Meath were both humbled tonight as well.

Dinny Breen

QuoteYou were at a different game than I was so.

You can turn your eyes up all you want but that was terrible football from both sides, Laois kicked some awful wides and both teams hand and foot passing was schoolboy stuff. Loais has a good work rate and wanted it more and deserved their win. Kildare were a complete shambles.

With so much chopping and changing the team have no fluidity and McGeeney I think is digging himself a big hole with his if you're not performing in training you're not playing attitude, after 3 years things will naturally get stale he needs new ideas, we're also playing like a team with no confidence where the burden of expectation is weighing them down.

We have stood still this year, going to be a short summer.
#newbridgeornowhere

The Real Laoislad

Its not going to be that short a summer for Kildare,they will breeze through the Leinster Championship with the teams they have in their side of the draw,they should be overwhelming favourites to get to the Final at the very least...
No offence to Louth,Longford,Wicklow,Carlow and Westmeath of course  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thejuice

Yesterday morning I was hoping for a Tipp win yesterday, today I'm up for Armagh. Thought we were going well at half time, Murphy destroyed us, our much lauded forward line is almost the worst in Division 2. Especially in getting goals. Hope they are saving themselves for May 23rd.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 28, 2010, 08:35:57 AM
We have stood still this year, going to be a short summer.

Things wouldn't be too bad if we'd have stood still Dinny. We've gone backwards big time.

The wider panel needed freshening up this year but we were left with the same old tired faces on the bench. I don't understand why David Lyons was called up for one when we have an abundance of half-backs but not one natural corner-back. The lad has been on the scene since 2003 and has been tried in plenty of positions. When he finally looked like nailing down a place he went off travelling. Surely there's a tight marking corner-back somewhere in the county?

The lack of forward options is frightening. In fairness to McGeeney he wasn't helped by Eoghan O'Flaherty opting out. Why weren't Gavin Smullen or Mark O'Sullivan called up though especially when we started Ronan Walsh (a back) at corner forward in the O'Byrne Cup. Cribbin should have seen way more action in the half-forwards where his pace could be utilised. Ken Donnelly will only do it in one game and then go missing for the next three. Injuries have robbed us of Karl Ennis' best years and he looks to have lost his pace completely now. Smith has to start against Meath no matter how fit he is.

Just got to hope that it'll come right before the first weekend in June because we should still be capable of reaching Croke Park but we're running out of time at this stage.

Quote from: thejuice on March 28, 2010, 12:03:54 PM
Yesterday morning I was hoping for a Tipp win yesterday, today I'm up for Armagh. Thought we were going well at half time, Murphy destroyed us, our much lauded forward line is almost the worst in Division 2. Especially in getting goals. Hope they are saving themselves for May 23rd.

Just wait until you see the Kildare forwards in Navan if the last few weekends are anything to go by.

PatDaly

1 An Dun 6 5 0 1 +45 11 (Promoted)
2 Ard Mhacha 6 4 2 0 +21 8
3 Dún na nGall 6 4 2 0 +18 8
4 Cill Dara 6 3 3 0 -1 6
5 Laois 6 3 3 0 -4 6
6 An Mhí 6 3 3 0 -8 6
7 Tiobraid Árann 6 1 4 1 -17 3 (Relegated)
8 An Iarmhí 6 0 6 0 -46 0 (Relegated)

A draw will be enough for Armagh to get promoted along with Down but that'll be a very difficult task since our last game is away to Donegal