Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Kildare team v Laois:

1.      Paul Flood (Maynooth)
2.      Emmet Bolton (Eadestown)
3.      Hugh McGrillen (Celbridge)
4.      Gary White (Sarsfields)
5.      Mark Scanlon (Round Towers)
6.      Brian Flanagan (Johnstownbridge)
7.      Morgan O'Flaherty (Carbury)
8.      Ronan Sweeney (Moorefield)
9.      Dermot Earley (Sarsfields)
10.     Robert Kelly (Straffan)
11.     John Doyle (Allenwood)
12.     David Whyte (Moorefield)
13.     Eamonn Callaghan (Naas)
14.     Ken Donnelly (Ellistown)
15.     James Kavanagh (Ballymore)

Changes aplenty again from Geezer. Must be very frustrating for the management not to have a full deck to pick from with the championship just round the corner. Flynn is a big loss at midfield but if Roli can repeat his good form of last weekend then we should be ok here.

Kevin O'Neill must be scratching his head at not being selected after putting the shackles on Martin Flanagan when he came on. I'm sure Hughie will do a fine job on Kingston  but we're sacrificing our best corner back and the options for that position aren't plentiful. Chalky at no4 strikes me as a square peg in a round hole. I know Dinny won't agree but I'd have liked to see Scanlon tried in the corner at some stage. Even with Mikey Conway still out injured we could introduce Foley, Cribbin or Rainbow to the half-backs. I hope Smith sees some action at some stage.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

RMDrive

Barry Monaghan out of the panel? Must be something going on here. Barry's a loyal servant and isn't going to step back for no reason.

Monaghan takes a break
27 March 2010

Donegal footballer Barry Monaghan has opted out of the county panel for the foreseeable future.

Monaghan is one of the county's most experienced footballer having made his debut in 2000, but he has decided to take a break and has not ruled out a return later on in the year.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Donegal/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=126195

Dinny Breen

This will be relevant for this thread I think

26 March 2010

The GAA wishes to confirm that where Teams in the National Leagues finish on equal points the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:

(i) Where two Teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two Teams in the previous game in the Competition;

(ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For);

(iii) Highest Total Score For;

(iv) A Play-Off.

Exceptions:
In relation to means (ii) and (iii) above, if the accumulated scores of a team, so involved, are affected by a disqualification, loss of game on a proven objection, retirement or walk over, the tie shall be decided by a Play-Off.

#newbridgeornowhere

J70

Quote from: RMDrive on March 27, 2010, 12:53:22 PM
Barry Monaghan out of the panel? Must be something going on here. Barry's a loyal servant and isn't going to step back for no reason.

Monaghan takes a break
27 March 2010

Donegal footballer Barry Monaghan has opted out of the county panel for the foreseeable future.

Monaghan is one of the county's most experienced footballer having made his debut in 2000, but he has decided to take a break and has not ruled out a return later on in the year.

That's a surprise. He's been at it a long time though and he's probably not going to be first choice from now, with Anthony Thompson getting opportunities at centre-back. But, maybe he's just got personal or business commitments to take care of. It would be a shame if we lost him from the panel though - his clubmate Shane Carr left too early as well, but its hard to fit everything in with the commitments of being a county player.

RMDrive

Quote from: J70 on March 27, 2010, 02:38:54 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on March 27, 2010, 12:53:22 PM

Monaghan takes a break
27 March 2010

That's a surprise. He's been at it a long time though and he's probably not going to be first choice from now, with Anthony Thompson getting opportunities at centre-back. But, maybe he's just got personal or business commitments to take care of. It would be a shame if we lost him from the panel though - his clubmate Shane Carr left too early as well, but its hard to fit everything in with the commitments of being a county player.

Maybe it's as simple as not being able to put in the commitment but surely if that was the case he would have made the call at the start of the year? Wouldn't be surprised if there is something behind this.

Strange team selection for this evening with 4 wing backs named! McGlynn and Dunnion named at 10 and 12. Is JJ planning to play a very defensive game (even more so than we do already) or does he feel that those 2 men are suited to the HF line?

PatDaly

This is very interesting. If Meath win tonight against Donegal and then win their final game at home to Kildare they'll get promoted into division 1 irrespective of what else happens. This is possible since head to head record is now the deciding factor then scoring difference is considered for teams who finish level on points. This makes tonight's game against Donegal very important.

Onlooker

Quote from: PatDaly on March 27, 2010, 06:17:54 PM
This is very interesting. If Meath win tonight against Donegal and then win their final game at home to Kildare they'll get promoted into division 1 irrespective of what else happens. This is possible since head to head record is now the deciding factor then scoring difference is considered for teams who finish level on points. This makes tonight's game against Donegal very important.
The fact that the head to head result is the one that counts rather than points difference could have some serious effect on promotion and relegation.  I wonder were all counties aware of this before this week.  I certainly did not know about this.

western exile

Quote from: Onlooker on March 27, 2010, 06:51:56 PM
Quote from: PatDaly on March 27, 2010, 06:17:54 PM
The fact that the head to head result is the one that counts rather than points difference could have some serious effect on promotion and relegation.  I wonder were all counties aware of this before this week.  I certainly did not know about this.
It really annoys me when rules are changed mid competition. This should have been communicated before the start of the league, as this is not the way it was last year.

J70

Donegal 1-12 Meath 0-10
Laois -13 Kildare 0-8

If Tipp lose tomorrow, they're gone.

yellowcard

1 An Dun 5 4 0 1 74 50 9
2 Dún na nGall 6 4 2 0 86 68 8
3 Ard Mhacha 5 3 2 0 72 55 6
4 Cill Dara 6 3 3 0 76 77 6
5 Laois 6 3 3 0 82 86 6
6 An Mhí 6 3 3 0 70 78 6
7 Tiobraid Árann 5 1 3 1 59 72 3
8 An Iarmhí 5 0 5 0 61 94 0

Relegated: Westmeath

If Tipp are beaten tomorrow they will join Westmeath.

Down need 1 point from 2 games to gain promotion

If Armagh beat Tipp as expected they will have a shoot out in Ballybofey to see who goes up.

Cosmo Kramer

Laois have done themselves a big favour there.

It probably won't happen, but if Tipp can produce a shock win tomorrow, it would throw everything wide open going into the last day. Armagh and a few others wouldn't know whether to look up or down the table.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

PatDaly

Actually if Tipperary get a draw tomorrow against Armagh and win as expected against Westmeath in their final game they could stay up at Meath's expense this is assuming Kildare beat Meath in their final game.

In addition a draw tomorrow in the Armagh v Tipperary game would still mean that Armagh can get promoted to division 1 along with Down provided they beat Donegal in Ballybofey on April 11th.

Dinny Breen

well that had to be the most awful game of football I have ever witnessed absolute rubbish from both sides Laois were the less rubbish and deserved their win. Have absolutely no idea where Kildare are heading, very disturbing...
#newbridgeornowhere

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: PatDaly on March 27, 2010, 09:48:25 PM
Actually if Tipperary get a draw tomorrow against Armagh and win as expected against Westmeath in their final game they could stay up at Meath's expense this is assuming Kildare beat Meath in their final game.

In addition a draw tomorrow in the Armagh v Tipperary game would still mean that Armagh can get promoted to division 1 along with Down provided they beat Donegal in Ballybofey on April 11th.

And if we win by 2 or more tomorrow, or win by 1 scoring 15 points or more, a draw would do us against Donegal. Think the game's in Letterkenny by the way PatDaly.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

yellowcard

Kildare have been disappointing this year, I really expected them to kick on from the progress of the previous 2 years and challenge for a Leinster title at least, now I'm not so sure.